No announcement yet.

Has Paper2D development stopped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic is working on their mobile 2D game, so I am sure Paper2D will get some love during the dev cycle.

Comment

From what I've heard Epic didn't use paper2d plugin in that game..
      | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by Roccinio View Post
        That is why it is not wise to do statements that disrespect others people's hard work and struggles, especially when you have no metrics to back them up.
        Yep, exactly, unless you're a genius that has demonstrated multiple times how superior he/she is to all of us. Then again, you don't see that kind of behaviour not even from people like Rami Ismail.

About Paper2D: It's surprising how well Unreal can escalate, I think with more development it could be a great alternative, but at its current state I'm not sure I'd use it if I were developing a 2D game... (which totally depends on every person, of course, that's just me).

I must agree about the gimmicky thing of VR. I don't know about you guys, I too love making videogames, but I also like to do more things in my day, so when I want to develop I try to do it in the most efficient, fast and easy way possible... Anyone thinks that developing inside VR has any of those 3 features...?
        Don't get me wrong, the idea is good and we all are gonna end up doing everything in VR -is the future-, but now? LMFAO no! Not at all.
        Last edited by ivanrosadev; 03-30-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IvanRodriguez View Post
          but now? LMFAO no! Not at all.
          I take it as you haven't really tried VR. The future is now!

Comment

Every opinion must be heard and must be respected. But life is not black or white.
            It is mostly gray.
            The same applies for VR. For every person that gets blown away from the technology, there are equally as many that would never put that thing on their head.
            Especially people over 30 that grew up with the NES and playing outside at the same time, this is going to be a hard sale.
            There is something about it that goes against human nature and the way we react when something tries to consume us into another reality.
            I could go on and give some incite of how this will affect peoples lives by alienating them ( it is already bad with cellphones but VR will take it to whole different level) from everyday human interactions and the possible backlash it would have to society , but this is not the time or the place.

As a general rule people over 30 with a family will not buy it for their kids (if they are in their right mind and don't want to end up with 8 year old psychopaths) , they will not use it for them selves because of age and the urge to go out and interact with actual human beings and the 16-23 year old ones, don't have the space and the money to burn for something so expensive.

My personal opinion is that it will take a very long time to catch up and even then it will still be a niche market.
            Don't get fooled by corporations and their marketing, because they are trying to find the next golden cow so they can milk it for $$.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

P.S I will kindly request to keep this thread focused on our issue. The lack of Paper2d development.
            Last edited by Roccinio; 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

So more on topic I am concerned that paper2d is falling my the way side. I feel like the majority of people have already given up on it and these is almost no help for anyone wanting to work with it. I attempted to gather people who wanted to work with paper2d and there basically are none. Right now I am unsure what to do next. I am trying very hard to be patient with this because I like the engine and want to use it but at the same time I feel like I may be way better off changing to something better suited to my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsecrank View Post
                So more on topic I am concerned that paper2d is falling my the way side. I feel like the majority of people have already given up on it and these is almost no help for anyone wanting to work with it. I attempted to gather people who wanted to work with paper2d and there basically are none. Right now I am unsure what to do next. I am trying very hard to be patient with this because I like the engine and want to use it but at the same time I feel like I may be way better off changing to something better suited to my needs.
                Honestly the best thing to do is to try to improve the tools and support ourselves and create pull requests. Be the change we want to see because epic's busy concentrating on their money maker stuff.
                WIP Wasabi Horizon: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...wasabi+horizon

Comment

There was an official response in another thread some time ago and nothing has changed on this front. Paper2D is a supported part of the engine and we will continue to fix blocking bugs as they come up, but there is no feature development planned in the short or medium term.

I'd love to see more pull requests to add functionality and polish to Paper2D, and would be happy to discuss design stuff with people if they're interested in working with the code to ease acceptance of those PRs.

RE: Battle Breakers, the game doesn't really use Paper2D (it is used for sprite atlasing in UMG but not for any of the in-world stuff). This isn't a slight against Paper2D, it is a 3D game (environmental art, etc...) with a fixed camera and '2D' characters made using a Photoshop+Maya pipeline. There was a talk about the character pipeline at GDC this year, but the end result for characters is similar to Spriter/Spine/Creature. We might have considered using one of those if starting today, but the bulk of the game was developed before any of those were available for UE4.

Cheers,
                  Michael Noland

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Noland View Post
                    There was an official response in another thread some time ago and nothing has changed on this front. Paper2D is a supported part of the engine and we will continue to fix blocking bugs as they come up, but there is no feature development planned in the short or medium term.

I'd love to see more pull requests to add functionality and polish to Paper2D, and would be happy to discuss design stuff with people if they're interested in working with the code to ease acceptance of those PRs.

RE: Battle Breakers, the game doesn't really use Paper2D (it is used for sprite atlasing in UMG but not for any of the in-world stuff). This isn't a slight against Paper2D, it is a 3D game (environmental art, etc...) with a fixed camera and '2D' characters made using a Photoshop+Maya pipeline. There was a talk about the character pipeline at GDC this year, but the end result for characters is similar to Spriter/Spine/Creature. We might have considered using one of those if starting today, but the bulk of the game was developed before any of those were available for UE4.

Cheers,
                    Michael Noland
                    Hello

Since the news about Paragon being shut down, and since Unreal Engine 4 is being used by more and more developers to create 2d games, is there any chance that paper2d will be under development again?

I would be very happy if You could take a moment to answer this question Michael Noland

Best Regards

AM

Comment

Paragon is let go because they have to transfer more developers to work on Fortnite, that game's map is huge and need a lot of work from both artists and programmers... So your answer is probably "no".
                      | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by Asterat View Post

Hello

Since the news about Paragon being shut down, and since Unreal Engine 4 is being used by more and more developers to create 2d games, is there any chance that paper2d will be under development again?

I would be very happy if You could take a moment to answer this question Michael Noland

Best Regards

AM
                        If you select your camera, and click orthographic. It's kind of like paper/2.5d..

Comment

Originally posted by thadkinsjr View Post

If you select your camera, and click orthographic. It's kind of like paper/2.5d..
                          Oh my.
                          I was asking about plugin development, not about camera settings.

Comment

Working...
                          X