No announcement yet.

Epic MegaJam! Oct. 6-13th, 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those on a mac, I made a mac build for our game EAT that unfortunately I did not have time to add together with our windows download link because the thread got locked

https://gitlab.com/Kilon/eat-mac/rep...zip?ref=master

Comment

Originally posted by BhaaL View Post
      Jams are always fun when you can participate, even when you can't finish the thing on time.
      Yeah I didnt put alot less pressure on myself this time as I have a neck injury so just sitting at the PC for a full working week was challenging, I did that and made good progress on my project that I thought was reasonably small in scope and didnt let feature creep or graphics get the better of me. I'll admit UMG slowed me down, that using TextRenderComponent would have been faster and it was my original idea but I wasnt happy with the quality of the text and would have had to render out all the unicode into a big texture.

My game was less than 2MB of content with a packaged size of about 51.5MB so well small enough for HTML5 and perhaps better speed than if Id used Javascript for the Windows package. I learnt alot, I attempted things I hadnt done before with UMG so it was good to get in there and just test myself and thats the main reason I competed

I could have used a template and made a small 3D game but I really wanted to see if I could focus on mechanics and make something of reasonably size by myself in the time given, I failed on this one and do think the engine could be improved to make things faster. I'll be adding my suggestions and scouring the forums to collate some more feedback, the package sizes are certainly improving since Im almost down to under 50MB for an APK but it still doesnt leave a whole lot of room for content so I'll be looking to improve on that if possible for my up coming GearVR project

Comment

This was our first attempt at a multiplayer project, so we couldn't get that part of it figured out in time. Here are our characters, anyway. We still had a blast! Loving the other entries!

David Anderson
        BOILERPLATE STUDIOS
        http://boilerplatestudios.blogspot.com/
        https://twitter.com/DBBoilerplate

Comment

A bit of UNOFFICIAL statistics, same as I did last year, this time in a more human readable form. Vertical axis is number of members per team, horizontal axis is number of teams. Blue bars represent number of teams registered, orange bars - number of submissions.

Code:
          Raw data

Members	Regs	Subs	%
          1	155	85	54
          2	32	35	109
          3	29	20	69
          4	18	15	83
          5	46	31	67
          Total	280	186	66
          Same as the last year one man teams are by far prevalent, followed by five members teams in terms of registrations and 2-members in terms of submissions (2 members teams show unusually high amount of submissions, I suspect there is a discrepancy here). Four members teams are the least common, same as the last year, but pretty effective. There are more 5 members teams this time, probably because of the great prizes more people took the jam seriously and assembled full teams.

Overall effectiveness of teams is exactly the same as the last year: 66%. This means that 66% of all registered teams have submitted an entry.
          • One man teams seem to be pretty ineffective, this time more so than the last year: 54% of success (was 66%, on par with the overall %).
          • Two men teams were the least effective last time, this time they are the most effective (109% vs. 55%). This is actually surprising. I assume some teams didn't pre-register and just went and submitted their games, that's why it is more than 100%, but still 2 man teams show unusually high effectiveness.
          • Teams with 3 members are about the same: 69% (65% last year).
          • Four members teams are pretty effective again, 83% (was 75%)
          • Teams with 5 members were the most effective in the last year megajam with 75% effectiveness, this time they weren't so good, 67% effectiveness is just above overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.Williams View Post
            Just wanted to chime in here in case any of you use Sequencer in your Game Jam projects. BE AWARE OF THIS BUG: UE-34439

The workaround is to use "Create Level Sequence Player". This bug ONLY appears in Binary Builds in packaged games, so it will not appear until you've packaged.
            Hi Matt. I didn't see your post until after the jam but I used Get Sequencer Player multiple times in my packaged build with success and while not using AutoPlay and I just grabbed a reference from the level itself from within the level BP. The only thing of note is that playing a sequence on BeginPlay (for example if it randomizes a sequence, or doesn't always play, just using autoplay isn't viable) with Get Sequence Player failed in packaged builds unless I added a delay node.

One thing that I would have LOVED to have known is that you can not package a game using geometry cache actors introduced in 4.13. Of course some bad things are to be expected with experimental but it can't be built period. Soon as the packaging bug and the UV bug is fixed then they will be indespensible, I can't wait. Although the file size can be problematic and they don't do well with reduced play rates as the interpolation is non-existent.

---

One of the fun things I did during this game jam was create a randomized minion generator! These screenshots are from very early in development. My sub is here if anyone wants to see more. I learned so much! What a fantastic experience.

Last edited by Vaei; 10-13-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I was stupid and didnt read the instructions. Thought it was due around midnight like the previous gamejams.

But heres a video of what we have. Was super tiring and fun, I'll keep in mind next year to read the instructions and not try to submit past the deadline! >_<

https://youtu.be/l5UMJBPuYFA

Comment

Originally posted by VRLtqq View Post
                A bit of UNOFFICIAL statistics, same as I did last year, this time in a more human readable form. Vertical axis is number of members per team, horizontal axis is number of teams. Blue bars represent number of teams registered, orange bars - number of submissions.

Code:
                Raw data

Members	Regs	Subs	%
                1	155	85	54
                2	32	35	109
                3	29	20	69
                4	18	15	83
                5	46	31	67
                Total	280	186	66
                Same as the last year one man teams are by far prevalent, followed by five members teams in terms of registrations and 2-members in terms of submissions (2 members teams show unusually high amount of submissions, I suspect there is a discrepancy here). Four members teams are the least common, same as the last year, but pretty effective. There are more 5 members teams this time, probably because of the great prizes more people took the jam seriously and assembled full teams.

Overall effectiveness of teams is exactly the same as the last year: 66%. This means that 66% of all registered teams have submitted an entry.
                • One man teams seem to be pretty ineffective, this time more so than the last year: 54% of success (was 66%, on par with the overall %).
                • Two men teams were the least effective last time, this time they are the most effective (109% vs. 55%). This is actually surprising. I assume some teams didn't pre-register and just went and submitted their games, that's why it is more than 100%, but still 2 man teams show unusually high effectiveness.
                • Teams with 3 members are about the same: 69% (65% last year).
                • Four members teams are pretty effective again, 83% (was 75%)
                • Teams with 5 members were the most effective in the last year megajam with 75% effectiveness, this time they weren't so good, 67% effectiveness is just above overall.
                Maybe some teams thought they would be 3 or 4 but ended up being 2.
                Graham Chow
                Strange Orbitz (strangeorbitz.com)

Comment

I think I made the last puzzle a bit too hard. So here is a quick walkthrough video for anyone who wants to know how the game ends, but don't want to struggle with the last puzzle.

Gabor Dandar
                  Twitter: @gadangames

Comment

I made a video preview of my game, but not sure I should be editing my post in the submission thread after deadlines has passed.

Is there a way I can get it in there Epic?

Last edited by Vaei; 10-14-2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=11951]VRLtqq[/MENTION] Wow! Thank you so much for doing that (it saves me from having to come up with it for my report haha ).
                      Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                      How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                      Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Here is some footage from our game STS

Entry is here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post608815

Thanks for the awesome jam, was hard work but a good time
                        Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
                          [MENTION=11951]VRLtqq[/MENTION] Wow! Thank you so much for doing that (it saves me from having to come up with it for my report haha ).
                          My pleasure. Just keep in mind that it is based only on the data in this thread and submissions thread and may be not completely accurate.

Comment

Even with only 66% this is a large batch of games to go through.
                            Is anyone streaming play-through of them yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Looniper View Post
                              Even with only 66% this is a large batch of games to go through.
                              Is anyone streaming play-through of them yet?
                              17th October 9am PST

https://www.twitch.tv/awesomeallar

Comment

Allar usually has an online spreadsheet of which entries he will be playing through in which order. Does anyone know where that is?

Comment

Working...
                                X