No announcement yet.

4.13 Release Preview - Aug 4th -Live at Epic HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could anyone tell me how to set up the new WidgetInteraction to work? I attached it to the controller and checked the box "Debug", so I could see the red line. but it is not interacting with 3D widgets at all...waiting for help~ >-<

Comment

Any news on volumetric light and fog?

Comment

So many nice features in 4.13.

How can MSAA sampling amount (x2/x4/x8) be set on the new forward shading mode?

Comment

Originally posted by ag858 View Post
          So many nice features in 4.13.

How can MSAA sampling amount (x2/x4/x8) be set on the new forward shading mode?
          "r.MSAACount X" is how you set it. Remember that MSAA is not in 4.13, it's only in master.
          Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
          Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by Congaz2 View Post
            I'm using video textures to map animations on (big) screens for VR event previews. Now that the media framework got updated, what video codec would you suggest for best performance on windows? Does media playback still cut the framerate in half? Until 4.12 I used WMVs because it seemed to be the most stable from my tests. But the compression looks terrible. Any suggestions?
            Is media playback or video playback working on the mac yet or not? gmpreussner said he was working on it last week?

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
              as always, I am at work and probably missed the answers to my questions

I was asking the following on Twitch.

Will the following make it into 4.13:
              - Oculus Mobile SDK 1.0.3
              - Multiview rendering for Gear VR (it's in mobile SDK 1.0.3)
              - Oculus 3D audio spatializer for Android (Gear VR)
              - Option to disable dithering between LODs for HISMCs and foliage
              - Baked lighting support for foliage and HISMCs

Also was asking if vertex animation is done on GPU or CPU and if it will be supported for Android (in non-VR and VR)

Hopefully [MENTION=8]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION] can post answers here, por favor
              I take it as none of that will be in 4.13

/sigh

Comment

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
                Any news on volumetric light and fog?
                I really need this, too.

Comment

Hey guys -- thanks for watching our stream!

One correction from a feature I highlighted: The "particle cutout" tech didn't end up making it into the 4.13 branch as we had thought. It still works for flipbooks of course, but not for every type of particle. We'll have to wait for 4.14 for that one.

However no worries -- there are quite a few other cool 4.13 features that I didn't even highlight on the stream, such as Mesh Decals! Stay tuned for the full release notes in a few weeks.

--Mike

Comment

[MENTION=987]DarkVeil[/MENTION]

Could you guys please add an option to disable dithered transition between LODs on HISMCs and foliage in 4.13 ? It really is a performance hog in VR (mobile VR in particular).

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                      [MENTION=987]DarkVeil[/MENTION]

Could you guys please add an option to disable dithered transition between LODs on HISMCs and foliage in 4.13 ? It really is a performance hog in VR (mobile VR in particular).
                      I think you can set the "foliage.DitheredLOD 0" console variable to disable dithering of HISMC and foliage, even in 4.12.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkVeil View Post
                        I think you can set the "foliage.DitheredLOD 0" console variable to disable dithering of HISMC and foliage, even in 4.12.
                        Oh, didn't know that. Thanks, I'll test it!

I guess the major issue I've encountered with dithered LODs is that fps drops when mesh is at the base LOD and is very close to the view (which is weird as no dithering happens at that time). Any idea what could be the issue ?
                        Last edited by motorsep; 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkVeil View Post
                          Hey guys -- thanks for watching our stream!

One correction from a feature I highlighted: The "particle cutout" tech didn't end up making it into the 4.13 branch as we had thought. It still works for flipbooks of course, but not for every type of particle. We'll have to wait for 4.14 for that one.

However no worries -- there are quite a few other cool 4.13 features that I didn't even highlight on the stream, such as Mesh Decals! Stay tuned for the full release notes in a few weeks.

--Mike
                          Thank you! Mesh decals are awesome and i've missed this feature so much. Now i'm really excited to hear that it's going to be implemented in the next version, awesome!
                          portfolio

Comment

Do mesh decals work on mobile (ES2) ?

Comment

[MENTION=987]DarkVeil[/MENTION] You've mentioned in the stream that 4.13 has shadow map caching for movable point lights and stationary lights so that shadow maps for static objects get cached to save performance. What about directional lights?
                              Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                              Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                                [MENTION=987]DarkVeil[/MENTION] You've mentioned in the stream that 4.13 has shadow map caching for movable point lights and stationary lights so that shadow maps for static objects get cached to save performance. What about directional lights?
                                Nope, just movable point lights and spot lights for now. Directional lights use view-dependent CSM and perhaps wouldn't yield great results with caching, especially given their "global" influence. Note the new shadow map caching is explicitly for fully dynamic movable lights (not stationary) with shadows enabled, and will benefit during frames where the light didn't actually move at all. There will be more info in the full release notes.

Comment

Working...
                                X