Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] The Making of the McLaren Car Configurator - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT
    After demonstrating the McLaren Car Configurator live at GDC and showing it off on the livestream, we are excited to explore the creation of this tool with two of its developers. Max Preussner and Alan Willard will be joining us to discuss how the iPad companion app communicates with the PC and also how Blueprints were used in the making of the Configurator. There is a lot to learn, so be sure to not miss it!

WHEN
    Thursday, May 5th @ 2:00PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
    www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO

Alan Willard - Sr. Dev Rel Tech Artist
    Max Preussner - Sr. Engine Programmer - @gmpreussner
    Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander

Got questions? Feel free to ask here or during the stream!

Max's Powerpoint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?109912

Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 05-06-2016, 05:44 PM.
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Please explain how did you implement remote control via tablet. What protocol, how does it work under the hood. Is it only ios/android part to be programmed, or UE4 also needs some custom work ?

thx

Comment

This is product placement, no?.. Any self-respecting game maker already owns one of these...
      At the very least I think McLaren should offer a competition to give one away for free on here!
      It would help make up for the pain of watching so many brutal Formula-1 performances

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
        This is product placement, no?.. Any self-respecting game maker already owns one of these...
        At the very least I think McLaren should offer a competition to give one away for free on here!
        It would help make up for the pain of watching so many brutal Formula-1 performances
        No product placement We partnered with the team at McLaren to help solve some Enterprise related challenges that help us serve the community of those working in real-time spaces. This is a look at our approach to the configurator
        Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Originally posted by tas View Post
          Please explain how did you implement remote control via tablet. What protocol, how does it work under the hood. Is it only ios/android part to be programmed, or UE4 also needs some custom work ?

thx
          I believe that Max is going to cover how he did this!
          Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Will we receive project files like we did in the pixellated 2D sidescroller with Alan Noon?
            This tutorial is solely a programming tutorial and does not include the material setup, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by agiro View Post
              Will we receive project files like we did in the pixellated 2D sidescroller with Alan Noon?
              This tutorial is solely a programming tutorial and does not include the material setup, does it?
              The project we'll be showing isn't something that will be shared, but new engine improvements made for it will be included in 4.12. We'll be doing a high-level overview, but not a "how-to" style tutorial.
              Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
              How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
              Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

will the McLaren be a future prize in one of the Game Jams? *hint*

Comment

thanks for the update. i did plan to follow along, guess i will watch and ask should the need arise

Comment

Originally posted by ayretek View Post
                    will the McLaren be a future prize in one of the Game Jams? *hint*
                    This ^

Remote control via tablet and shaders are highly interesting
                    WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
                    World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
                    WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

Looks very interesting....

Comment

Just in case Max and Alan aren't touching on this, but: Can we use this new technique to control a GearVR app from a tablet (by a second person ofc, for example to guide someone through ArchViz without a controller, or even make changes in the world they experience there)?

Comment

Can you go over the scene stats and performance? I wonder how UE would handle dense high polygon count (over 5 million polygons) scenes with changeable parts (so you can't bake a single model).
                          Pablo Zurita
                          Rendering & System Engineer - Consultant

http://pzurita.wordpress.com
                          https://twitter.com/PabloZurita
                          http://www.linkedin.com/in/pzurita

Comment

Also, is there any custom occlusion culling going on the car? If not, is there anything else helping with GPU performance?
                            Pablo Zurita
                            Rendering & System Engineer - Consultant

http://pzurita.wordpress.com
                            https://twitter.com/PabloZurita
                            http://www.linkedin.com/in/pzurita

Comment

Originally posted by BhaaL View Post
                              Just in case Max and Alan aren't touching on this, but: Can we use this new technique to control a GearVR app from a tablet (by a second person ofc, for example to guide someone through ArchViz without a controller, or even make changes in the world they experience there)?
                              Hey BhaaL, yes, in principle this is possible. If your app is built on top of UE4, it will be very easy, because all the needed pieces are already there. Your app doesn't need to use Engine - you can build a standalone Slate application that is built on top of Core, CoreUObject, Messaging, and Slate. You can look at /Engine/Programs/UnrealFrontend and /Engine/Programs/UnrealLaunchDaemon to see how we have done this in the past.

If your application is not built on top of UE4, then things get more complicated. The main limiting factor right now is that we have only one actual implementation of a message transport (the UdpMessaging plug-in), and it uses a rather complicated (and currently not very efficient) protocol. You would have to reimplement this protocol in your application in order to be able to exchange messages with the GearVR app.

In the second half of this year I hope to find the time to make the UDP based transport more robust and efficient, and I also want to implement a second transport using HTTP and JSON. The latter will make it much easier to interface with non-UE4 applications. In the meantime, I recommend that you build a standalone Slate application with plug-in support. We do not currently have any tutorials that describe exactly how to do that - the initialization process in particular is somewhat cumbersome - but if you can't figure it out based on the code that's in UE4 then you can always post on AnswerHub and I will push you in the right direction.

When I'm done with the current Media Framework upgrades, I'm planning to write a tutorial about the design and implementation of the Messaging system in UE4, as well as standalone Slate applications.

I'm looking forward to seeing your app in action!
                              Gerke Max Preussner | UE4 Programming Consultant

Logo
                              Follow me on Github | Goodreads | Linkedin | Pinterest | SlideShare | Twitter.
                              Chat with me as gmpreussner on Discord.

Comment

Working...
                              X