April #UE4JAM, April 14-17th. THEME: SPRING INTO THE FUTURE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benergy View Post
    Actually it is mentioned in the detailed rules: Submission may include sourced (non-original) assets, but the sourced assets must be noted.

I think the reasoning is only half true. The rules state: [...] nor may the Submission include third-party copyrighted material or artwork, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, you warrant that your Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. IMO this doesn't exclude assets that are not publicly available to all. You just have to make sure that you have all the needed rights to publically release your game.

Again I'm not sure if this is correct, looking at the rules: Submission must not include assets created prior to the Contest period (outside of noted sourced assets). I think this rule is meant to take away the advantage off a team that has created many games and assets before which they could use now in the game jam. But where to draw the line? Is a plugin/asset-pack/etc. I've created and published before the game jam a sourced asset and therefore excluded from this rule? Or are 'sourced assets' only 3rd party assets? If so, you would e.g. not be allowed to use your stuff from the marketplace but only the assets created by others. So it all depends on the meaning of 'sourced assets'.

Since the overall look is one of three judging criteria, it apparently matters what the game looks like. So high fidelity models can give you an advantage. But they are no guarantee, because the overall looks matters, not the look of one model. So IMHO was the overall look of the last winning games consistent and good, which therefore probably meet the criterion.
    To avoid this problem I would recommend that in the submission thread the Rule of " note the assets that were not made by you" is used so There is a fair competition. Dont you guys agree?

Comment

I'll probably not have enough time this weekend but depending on theme and inspiration I'll probably try to do LudumDare and the Jam together.

Comment

Anyone need a sound designer?

Comment

Originally posted by loencn View Post
          Anyone need a sound designer?
          I can't promise I will be as active this weekend as I would like to necessarily but I could always use assistance in the sound department. I'm not on here as often as I am on Reddit though. I will check back here when possible but my username over there is mikehaysjr

Comment

Originally posted by Lazysniper View Post
            To avoid this problem I would recommend that in the submission thread the Rule of " note the assets that were not made by you" is used so There is a fair competition. Dont you guys agree?
            Definitely agree with that.

Comment

So the theme is "Spring into the future". First thing I do after the announcement is ask our team's captain, @unrealbot, what we should do and he commands we make a game about assassinating trees under water.

So... "spring", shooting trees under water. The RNG gods are in my favor :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lazysniper View Post
                TBH I'm not sure that the amount of 3rd party assets is considered in judging the games, like I'm not sure if the team size is a judging criterion. I think these rules are not for fairness but to avoid copyright infringement.

Comment

But with more assets sometimes you can create better environments .
                  Last edited by Lazysniper; 04-14-2016, 06:17 PM. Reason: Grammar xD

Comment

I've seen some games win that didn't use any 3rd party asses, basically just starter content. So I don't think its a big aspect.. I think its originality and how fun the game is.

Comment

Hi guys, like last time, I will be streaming on Twitch over the next 3 days. Come say hi?

https://www.twitch.tv/keyle/

Have fun!
                      Twitter | Twitch | Instagram

Comment

:O

UE4.11 Just crashed and lost all my work from the past 3 hours. There's nothing in the autosave folder either Soul destroying...

Comment

Originally posted by GrimGarrett View Post
                          I've seen some games win that didn't use any 3rd party asses, basically just starter content. So I don't think its a big aspect.. I think its originality and how fun the game is.
                          But if u use others content and without posting it in the submission thread the jury won´t know if u did the assets or not .. And overrall Visuals is a Criteria
                          Last edited by Lazysniper; 04-15-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
                            Please send myself a PM with your team name and number of team members and we'll get you added to the list!
                            Hey Alexander, I sent you a PM with my team
                            Last edited by Anubis; 04-16-2016, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Streaming game jam progress all day today! https://www.twitch.tv/leocurtss

Comment

Hey I'll be streaming jam progress most of the day today come say hello!

http://twitch.tv/freshlemonade_
                                You can find me on twitter: @graeme_crackers

Comment

Working...
                                X