Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Upcoming Performance Enhancements - Live From Epic HQ

WHAT

Michael Noland and Marcus Wassmer join us to discuss new features that will help you identify where your project is taking too many resources and help you improve your overhead. In addition to some fancy new features, many systems have seen significant improvements to their performance that you will not want to miss. With such a wide array of changes, everyone from artists to programmers will have something to be excited about!

WHEN

Thursday, February 18th @ 2:00PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE

www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO

Michael Noland - Technical Lead - @joatski
    Marcus Wassmer - Core-Rendering Lead - @MarcusWassmer
    Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander

Archive Video:

Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 02-22-2016, 08:16 PM. Reason: added archive
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Nice! Sounds like a good one. I'll be there.
    Join Unreal Slackers, the largest Unreal Engine communuty on Discord! → https://unrealslackers.org
    Have a question? Give me a shout on Twitter → https://twitter.com/heypfist

Comment

The beautiful side of game dev - optimization!
      Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

optimization.im already looking forward to increased frame rates on big landscapes

Comment

Don't forget Paper2D sprite rendering optimization!!!!

Comment

Its always a knowledge party when Noland is around. yay!
            W3 Studios

Comment

super looking forward to this !
              WIP Wasabi Horizon: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...wasabi+horizon

Comment

we see in a few hours

Comment

[Question] Memory usage in editor

It seems most assets loaded in editor has RF_Standalone flag which prevent them been garbage collected inside editor even there's no references, which brings the problem that when editing resource intense level, the memory usage will continue growing and the only solution is to do a full editor restart. I assume it's originally done to minimize assets loading time from HD, but now since the popularity of SSD, is it still a valid decision?
                  | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Comment

Garbage collection is realy bad with blueprints. I wish there were buttons to clean the complete UE4editor cache... hat would be 100% most helpfull.

Comment

Micheal Noland - Technical Lead - @joatski

It's just the schoolmarm in me, no big deal.
                      Last edited by breese45; 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Haha, yeah it should be Michael, I'll ask Alexander to edit it

Cheers,
                        Michael Noland

Comment

Ok, so my two questions here:

1. What about DX12 and Vulkan? I would have expected they are quite a YUUUUUGE topic when it comes to "Upcoming Performance Enhancements", since that is why these new APIs exist. So I'm a bit sad you have not even mentioned them in the stream. When will we see good support for DX12 and Vulkan thats significantly improving performance in UE4? 4.12? 4.13?

2. You mentioned that APEX Cloth got very significant performance improvements. Will these improvements also affect the performance of APEX Destruction?
                          Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                          Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                            Ok, so my two questions here:

1. What about DX12 and Vulkan? I would have expected they are quite a YUUUUUGE topic when it comes to "Upcoming Performance Enhancements", since that is why these new APIs exist. So I'm a bit sad you have not even mentioned them in the stream. When will we see good support for DX12 and Vulkan thats significantly improving performance in UE4? 4.12? 4.13?

2. You mentioned that APEX Cloth got very significant performance improvements. Will these improvements also affect the performance of APEX Destruction?
                            1) DX12 support remains experimental in 4.11 and 4.12. Currently both APIs are tied to specific platforms / OS versions, so they are nice to have but most games can't rely on them to fix all their woes (e.g., most desktop games are going to want to support Windows 7 as well for the foreseeable future).

DX12 and Vulcan only help if you are bound on driver overhead (RHI thread time, especially allowing greater parallelization here, and to a small extent render thread); they won't help with game thread or make the GPU magically faster. On the GPU side there are some specific optimizations that are unlocked by not having forced syncs after compute/uav writes, but it will be a while before we fully take advantage.

2) The improvements and optimizations were specific to cloth and will not impact destruction.

Cheers,
                            Michael Noland

Comment

Originally posted by Kanizitas View Post
                              Garbage collection is realy bad with blueprints. I wish there were buttons to clean the complete UE4editor cache... hat would be 100% most helpfull.
                              Blueprints shouldn't have any additional impact on GC compared to C++, it's all about how much churn you generate (spawning and destroying actors, components, and objects). I'm not sure what you mean by ue4editor cache, but you can do "obj gc" in the exec console to force a GC.

There several improvements to GC performance coming in 4.11 and 4.12, both baseline optimizations (to GC itself, and to increase the number of UObjects we strip during cooking for things like materials and particle systems) and the concept of gc clusters, where you can opt in and say 'this island of objects should be treated as a single object cluster for the purposes of GC' which can help a lot when you have a densely connected subgraph of object references that only has sparse external connections.

Cheers,
                              Michael Noland

Comment

Working...
                              X