[Twitch] - Vehicles in 4.2 - May 29, 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Twitch] - Vehicles in 4.2 - May 29, 2014

Hi everyone, we're ready to take questions for this Thursday's stream. Details and the agenda are below.

WHAT
    UE4 Twitch Stream – Vehicles in 4.2
    Join Epic’s developers for a chat about the upcoming 4.2 release, which includes vehicle support and ships with a vehicle template (both C++ and Blueprint) as well as our vehicle sample game. Get your fix of news, development discussions, live demos, community spotlights and Q&A right here!

WHEN
    Thursday, May 29, 2pm ET [countdown clock, whoo hoo]

WHO
    Ray Davis, General Manager
    Ash Ludlum, Level Designer
    Ori Cohen, Engine Programmer
    *Note: Ori is working on vehicle support AND all things physics. Bring your physics questions, too!

AGENDA
    • Welcome & Intros
    • News
    • Community Spotlight
    • Vehicle Template (BP & C++)
    • Vehicle Sample Game (+ live demo)
    • Live Q&A

We hope to see you soon. Your participation is much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ivey; 10-13-2014, 05:24 PM.

Ill be there, Maybe this week i 'll get an answer to questions & if i do a nice epic shirt would be good but id rather have 4.2

Comment

Will the collision fixes and lightmap fixes be included for instanced static meshes in 4.2?

Collision for instanced static meshes is currently broken if the mesh is rotated.
      The Instanced static meshes do not receive any indirect lighting/ lightmap information when lighting is baked.

Asked this question in the twitch chat last time, hopefully you guys are able to catch this time along with the billion other questions people ask.
      Portfolio: www.rishipatkar.com

Comment

kkkkkk You know what I will ask right?! kkkkk

Since the main topic is Vehicles... Any plans for a road editor?
        BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
        PRO version can be bought on my site only.
        www.3dalex.com

Comment

Since the topic is vehicles, my question is:

How modular will the vehicle template bits be? How easy will it be to, for example, adapt it to make an 8-wheeled all-terrain vehicle, or a truck and trailer combo? Or... a tank?
          And also, how well do such physically simulated entities work in a networked setup?

Looking forward to the stream!
          Broad Strokes | Jan Kaluza | Marketplace Release: 'Over 9000 Swords' Modular Melee Weapon System
          Currently not available for freelance work
          Dev Blog & Tutorials | Twitter

Comment

Not about vehicles, but I really need the 4.2 (appstore) version of TappyChicken.. will this be on the marketplace same day 4.2 releases?

Again, thank you all for these streams
            Last edited by iMuse; 05-28-2014, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Great! My questions for the vehicle impl. In 4.2:
              1. Is the road collision done via raycast or actual wheel/road collision?
              2. Is the suspension and steering mechanisms built of physics joints ? If so, how many total joints are in the vehicle model in demo?
              3. How will the vehicle simulation perform on iOS devices? How many joints per
              Vehicle? How many vehicles can run at the same
              time?
              4. Is multiplayer supported
              multi vehicles?

Comment

Will be possible to create or record a vehicle animation to be used in a cinematic sequence (Matinee or future Sequencer) later? If possible could you briefly explain how to do that in this next release?

Comment

1. Is it possible to create realistic driving simulation game like Gran Turismo with UE4.2?
                  TOUR of DUTY

Comment

I'm really interested in this since I recently made a Vehicle Pack.
                    I'm just wondering if there will be if there is a skid tire implementation of how will we handle this?

Comment

Originally posted by kingchurch View Post
                      Great! My questions for the vehicle impl. In 4.2:
                      1. Is the road collision done via raycast or actual wheel/road collision?
                      2. Is the suspension and steering mechanisms built of physics joints ? If so, how many total joints are in the vehicle model in demo?
                      3. How will the vehicle simulation perform on iOS devices? How many joints per
                      Vehicle? How many vehicles can run at the same
                      time?
                      4. Is multiplayer supported
                      multi vehicles?
                      Vehicle wheels are a separate type of collider in the PhysX engine. It's not joint based and is more evolved than a raycast wheel. It should run fine on handheld as long as you don't have a lot of vehicles.

Originally posted by SonKim View Post
                      1. Is it possible to create realistic driving simulation game like Gran Turismo with UE4.2?
                      Everything is possible if you put enough work into it but unfortunately not out of the box. However PhysX has implemented a whole drivetrain system with clutch, differential etc so it is a good start. Keep in mind that Gran Turismo cheats with physics a lot and is constrained on a 2D plane (the track).

Comment

I have a couple questions.

1) With vehicle templates arriving, what is the likelihood that other vehicle templates will be added in the near future? Specifically early samples shown such as the blueprint bi-plane and pirate ship samples.

2) Since many keep asking for a "road editor" and I feel like we are going to see some roads, that have been created for the sample game, maybe it would be a good time for a spotlight tutorial on how to use the spline editor for roads and rivers and such. Thoughts?

3) Is there any chance in the near future for a tutorial regarding possession of a vehicle in a FPS or 3PS format?
                        Mike "Z"
                        UI / Game Designer
                        LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by mikezteh69 View Post
                          2) Since many keep asking for a "road editor" and I feel like we are going to see some roads, that have been created for the sample game, maybe it would be a good time for a spotlight tutorial on how to use the spline editor for roads and rivers and such. Thoughts?
                          I could make a written tutorial for landscape splines, but people seem to be obsessed with another road tool and ignore landscape splines, so...
                          FREE VR Drum Kit Project
                          FREE Color LUT Collection
                          FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                          FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                          Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                          Camera Crossfade

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky View Post
                            I could make a written tutorial for landscape splines, but people seem to be obsessed with another road tool and ignore landscape splines, so...
                            Come on! Be real! Landscape splines are so easy to use for making roads, that both vehicles samples that are coming are using it, right??? NO!!! rssssss

With the most simple road editor, we can make roads in seconds. I know, because I've been using road editor for several game engines in the past years. But when I try the landscape splines to make a simple road, just trying to adjust the road to sit nicelly over the terrain, it will take hours, probably days. And it is impossible to make intersections. Then for vehicles AI, we have to add waypoints nodes manually. If you have a big road, a few days more of work just to make it more or less working right. But most road editors out there, already do that for us. In minutes, we have nice roads with interesections, waypoints, roads details ( like trafic lights, other lighs, signs, etc )
                            Last edited by Alex3d; 05-28-2014, 09:50 AM.
                            BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
                            PRO version can be bought on my site only.
                            www.3dalex.com

Comment

^ I personally don't need this. It is just a question that is repeated over and over again. I feel like something needs to be offered so it will stop being asked.

For what it's worth, any time I needed to overlay, say a dirt road, I would often use decals. If it was a track layout, something I did like a Mario Kart clone, I just modeled 7 track segments that pretty much covered every need and then just re-skinned them per level.

I have used spline systems for roads and rivers in Hero Engine and Cry Engine so I know that it works well for what most need it for. But in staying with the "Everything needs to be super easy for everyone", I think I would be interested in how Epic approaches this.
                              Mike "Z"
                              UI / Game Designer
                              LinkedIn

Comment

Working...
                              X