No announcement yet.

Epic MegaJam! October 8-15th, 2015. THEME: STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be my first game jam too and the size of it makes me nervous but also excited!

Do the old game jam veterans have any tips for a noob like me?

Comment

Originally posted by Neverwere View Post
      K.I.S.S.
      Keep it simple stupid

Edit:Some others
      D.R.Y.
      Don't repeat yourself
      Y.A.G.N.I.
      You arent gonna need it
      Last edited by SaxonRah; 10-06-2015, 11:08 PM.
      Youtube
      Machine Learning C++ Plugin
      Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Epic MegaJam / Magic Sword Audio Assets

Hey everybody,

My name’s Matt and I manage Magic Sword. As you may have seen in the jam announcement post, we’re giving participants of the Epic MegaJam free licenses to use four Magic Sword tracks in games created during the jam. This should be a lot of fun and I'm excited to see what you come up with!

In downloading and using the tracks (which are available here), you’ll be accepting a EULA that discusses the terms of the license. It’s full of legal jargon, so I though it’d be helpful to outline the terms in plain English.

Here are the key points:

- You’ll have a license to use the Magic Sword tracks “In The Face of Evil,” “Sword of Truth,” “Journey’s End,” and “Retrogram” for free in your Epic MegaJam creation. If you use the tracks and make the game available to the public as a free download, the license supports that.

Although, the license does not extend to games that will be sold. If you do want to use the tracks and plan to eventually sell the game, that’s cool with us - you’ll just need to drop me an email (matt <at> theduckclub.com) and we’ll work out a separate license.

- If you use the tracks, that doesn’t give us any ownership of your game - it’s still 100% yours.

- In addition to giving you guys access to the complete songs, we’ve also broken them down to the individual instrument tracks (which are called stems). When you download the songs, you'll also be able to download the stems. The stems will give you lots of options for getting really creative with your game's audio. This license gives you permission to edit, modify, change, remix, loop, the tracks and stems any way you'd like.

- This license only extends to games created during the Epic MegaJam. If you want to use one of the tracks in a future creation, just send me an email and we'll work out a separate license.

- Like I said, if the tracks appear in your game and the game is available to the public as a free download, that’s fine. But, please don’t post the tracks or stems themselves anywhere for download.

The EULA and link to downloadable files is available here - http://www.magicswordmusic.com/epic-megajam-assets

If you have any questions/thoughts/concerns, please just shoot me an email - matt <at> theduckclub.com. Otherwise, I hope you have fun with the tracks and good luck!

Matt

Comment

what time is the live stream on Thursday?

Comment

This will be my first game jam too and the size of it makes me nervous but also excited!

A tip I'd give is that you should come up with an idea and what you want to accomplish before you start making anything. You're much less likely to waste time on doing things you don't really need if you have a clear idea of what you want to have in the end.

Also if you're looking to create all of the art yourself, do everything else to make your game work properly before doing any of that. The single biggest time sink I have when doing any of this is getting overly into making good 3d models or texturing them just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcary13 View Post
              what time is the live stream on Thursday?
              2PM EST. Countdown to the stream: HERE

Hope that helps
              Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
              How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
              Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
                Glad you're wanting to start with us!
                Glad I am too

Marketplace Link: https://goo.gl/GGdV9m
                twitter.com/tzenku | tzenku.com

Comment

Hey @Alexander and @Chance, question for your question!

All original assets (yes / no) <- did your team make the assets for this jam or were they purchased?

What are you including as part of this "original assets", some obvious things are Models and Special Effects. Maybe even music. But, how deep are you going to go? Like Original Substances from Substance Designer? How about Animations? I know you said you'll post the rules on Thursday, but this will impact a lot of people's decisions as how to proceed and figure out a workflow.

You're putting a lot of emphasis on this, so it should be clear if this will be a deciding factor in how the games are ranked. It's just a Yes and No question, but a lot of folks will be doing a mix of these, some may be able to produce 100% assets if you have a very well rounded team.

Just good knowledge to have before this thing gets started so the teams can think about what needs to get done.

Thanks!
                  Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Wishlist Neko Ghost, Jump! a 2D/3D Puzzle-Platformer : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ko_Ghost_Jump/

Comment

Super stoked for the jam! Can't help but keep checking the countdown tab all the time.

Anyway, this is going to be my first jam, but I did have an idea in regards to all the people discussing whether they can use assets they've made before the jam / marketplace assets / make all their own assets:

How about if Epic ran a jam where they gave us a limited amount of assets and we just had to utilize those in creative ways?

That would remove the whole made assets vs. pre-made assets vs. purchased assets debate, and I bet we could see some really cool ideas and implementations!

Good luck people, and see you in the JamJar™!

Comment

Originally posted by MAK777 View Post
                      How about if Epic ran a jam where they gave us a limited amount of assets and we just had to utilize those in creative ways?
                      That would be fun, nice idea

VV oh didnt see that......btw iron chef game jam theme would make for some cray cray results
                      Last edited by WarpSpasm; 10-07-2015, 12:39 AM.
                      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.CrazyRagdoll
                      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra
                      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.cubecrawler
                      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pspasm.turrets

Comment

Yeah, I had the same idea up thread. I imagine it would be something like Iron Chef, where the contestants get a secret ingredient that has to be used, and a large collection of stuff in a pantry that can be used. Whoever can come up with the most creative and awesome way to showcase the asset wins.

Comment

When it comes down to it, the spirit of the jam is to create something awesome in spite of the restrictions imposed. These games should be a true expression of who you are, your perspective, and how you interpret the theme. I've learned an absolutely tremendous amount by digging in and making something from scratch; I've grown as a developer and game designer in ways that I wouldn't otherwise had I not started from the ground up.

Games from scratch can't really be enforced fully, but you're short changing yourself and the community (of your peers, nonetheless!) should you rely on "pre-Jam" assets.

Plan for the scope of your game. Don't let it get out of control. Decide on the ESSENTIALS of your game, and every choice from that point on must either serve the essence of your game or be put on the back burner. Start small, and then go even smaller. Once your core game is done, start polishing. Don't get wrapped up in making something impressive - make something you want to play.

Comment

Haven't done one of these before, think I'm going to start doing them because I need something external to give me a little 'push' to get something done. Looks like fun!

Comment

]
                              Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
                              I edited my reply a bit for further clarification - Working on your project or making your project assets beforehand can lead to disqualification for award or prize categories, as it completely undermines the spirit of the event. You can still, however, use this opportunity to make something awesome with your existing work!
                              Me doing exactly what you just said.... aint nobody got time to get disqualified

Last edited by Gabriel9007; 10-07-2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I have the first four days of the jam off of my day job so I hope to get most of my work done then. Also first game jam I have done, should be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X