Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Mikand79 View Post
    Oh man really. Before 3/2014 there were at best basic things available unless you put out the big money.

Now look at UE4. Massive amount of advanced tech. Source available. Massive (literally) amount of assets to even use commercially.

Yet the world is not enough. lol

Rama's Thank you thread seemed a bit crazy to me at first. But Rama is right. Thank you Epic!
    Stand back everyone, the "Veteran" has spoken. Ask about improving the not so epic white elephant standing in the room, "poor water shaders," and the fur flies. Who needs a 100 miles on any level? Anyone? I don't. Is the water sup-par and behind the times in terms of what other game engines produce? I'm not sure. But is anyone honestly going to tell me the Engine comes with up to date water shaders? I asked myself that as I walked across the lakes and water in the Kite demo.

Once again, put away your pink Uzi, Epic doesn't need a mommie. There is an important term successful companies monitor, it is a "strategic inflection point," it is the point in time when the new is in and the old is out, unless you are one of the few that still listen to music on eight-track ... cool but out of date. Well, in game water shaders has hit a strategic inflection point. Epic needs to hear this, so stop trying to silence those of us trying to make a good engine great. The Unreal Engine is falling way behind in the area of water, and it desperately needs an up to date water engine to stay competitive. The 100 square mile level was only achievable at the expense of other more practical level feathers and shaders. Could care less what you veterans have to say ... you are they reason Epic has let this issue sit so long. I hope Epic management is listening.

So lets stick to the question here ... Cave location in released runtime anyone? Was it removed to save file size? News on a water engine in future release ... More off topic replies?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh man really. Before 3/2014 there were at best basic things available unless you put out the big money.

Now look at UE4. Massive amount of advanced tech. Source available. Massive (literally) amount of assets to even use commercially.

Yet the world is not enough. lol

Rama's Thank you thread seemed a bit crazy to me at first. But Rama is right. Thank you Epic!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ouch. I admit that by no means do we catch everything, but we aren't purposefully ignoring anyone. If you had a question you felt needed Epic to respond to, but was ignored, you can contact me directly via PM even. I'm always on Monday-Friday 9-5 EST.

I'm getting someone from Samples/Content Team to explain the cave situation and I'll get back to you on that shortly.

EDIT: It is in the map, but the map is 100 square miles and the cave is surprisingly small by comparison. The cave assets are specifically in the sub-level "Cave_Interior". If you have it all loaded up, you can search your World Outliner for "PostProcessing_Cave" select that asset, then press 'F' to focus the camera to it. I hope that helps!
    Deepest apologies Alexander, sarcasm not indented, only used to see if the post was dead ... no replies in days, and no discussion on the net about the cave location ... lots of people asking about the location, no answers from EPIC.

My question is about the runtime executable, not the project. I understand the cave assets are there in the Kite Project files, but thanks for the replies Shantaram an Lane.

Alexander, it appears the cave was removed from the executable along with some other assets to reduce the file size. Is that correct? In traveling around the map I noticed a lot of assets floating, or improperly placed, as if someone went around and removed things, especially in the top left corner ... and the lakes in the runtime do not match the twitch demo. There is not a single post on the web showing the cave in the runtime. After spending days going over ever meter of the runtime, it is beautiful, but not very diverse, so finding the Cave would a welcome change of scenery. So Alexander, can you please ask about the runtime executable that was released, is the cave in there somewhere?

For the record, the cave is a big part of the demo, like the ending of a movie. So for me, I want to find it in the released runtime. I am a world's expert in my field, having taught over 900 seminars in 21 countries, and my time is also valuable, and I only expected a reply, not a dedicated Epic moderator ... so chill out Dakraid ... my sarcasm is not a license for your condescending post. Don't troll people you don't know, we are all adults here. Alexander speaks quite well for himself, he is not Chappie in need of a mommie ... unless, could it be, is Alexander really human ... how do we know, what proof do we have, he could be a bot with really good AI.

Are you human Alexander? Your not some next gen bot moderator Epic has developed are you? Perhaps you have an expiration date built in and that is why Dakraid thinks moderator time is so limited and precious. But wait a minute, don't we all have a built in expiration date? So ... everyone's time is limited and valuable. That's called humor, lighten up everyone.

This stuff is taking all of the "fun" out of gaming. Gaming use to be fun. Now it's becoming drudgery, as anyone that has invested time in games like Destiny understands what I am saying.

If you want to set the Unreal Engine free for Indie developers you need to include more relevant tools to help organizations with limited resources. I have spent literally days going over The Boy and Hid Kite released runtime demo. I applaud all of the new technology integrated into 4.8, but what was not added, and what is really needed, is an up to date Water engine on a par with what other engines are now including. I don't need 100 square mile maps, I would trade level size to realistic wave and water effects (Beaufort scale and wind/water/rock/sand/weather effects) with easily customization. Great water shaders are a specialized field few have mastered, and beyond the capability of an Indi game developer. So Alex, please pass on my request for a Water Engine in the next major upgrade to Engine. Just dreaming ... I know.

Cheers, no offense meant to anyone, especially Epic

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
    You were close! It's Riham Toulan: http://www.rihamtolan.com/ There is the blog he specifically mentions.
    Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Lane View Post
    In Pt. 2 at ~56 minutes in (https://youtu.be/hNgcQ0BeGCs?t=3369), Chris Evans is talking about the kite tail simulation/animation and an open source tail toolkit which I can't seem to find on searches. Sounds like her name is Reann Tulon? Any chance someone has a link to that?
    You were close! It's Riham Toulan: http://www.rihamtolan.com/ There is the blog he specifically mentions.

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
    Lane,

You are wasting your time. Posting here is a lost cause. The Epic Staff and Moderators only respond to "Veteran" posts. Apparently if you are just a supporter or newbie you are "set free" (ignored).

Cheers
    Ouch. I admit that by no means do we catch everything, but we aren't purposefully ignoring anyone. If you had a question you felt needed Epic to respond to, but was ignored, you can contact me directly via PM even. I'm always on Monday-Friday 9-5 EST.

I'm getting someone from Samples/Content Team to explain the cave situation and I'll get back to you on that shortly.

EDIT: It is in the map, but the map is 100 square miles and the cave is surprisingly small by comparison. The cave assets are specifically in the sub-level "Cave_Interior". If you have it all loaded up, you can search your World Outliner for "PostProcessing_Cave" select that asset, then press 'F' to focus the camera to it. I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 06-24-2015, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lane,

You are wasting your time. Posting here is a lost cause. The Epic Staff and Moderators only respond to "Veteran" posts. Apparently if you are just a supporter or newbie you are "set free" (ignored).

Cheers
    Because everyone at Epic has the time to check every thread they possibly could be related to, especially while at work.
    There are enough cases in which Epic staff and moderators responded to non-Veteran (or above) users, but keep in mind that these are people (in the case of the Epic staff) with work and not some tech support or hobbyists like most of us here.

Try to be more patient before making accusations or deliver some evidence (and no, saying "look for yourself" doesn't count), otherwise you represent yourself in a negative way and people will be more likely to ignore you. Those are humans with lives too, not some machines dedicated to support you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @CrashA51 I'm sure they are just busy, I was just curious if any others knew the link. I'll take a shot at your question though: nothing was covered in the streams about the cave, since I think the main focus was more on creating a large scale open world. I'm on a Mac so can't run the demo, but have you tried looking in the Matinee? It's probably a cut scene.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nothing but silence ... peculiar ...

And the Cave location?

Is it in the Runtime or was it removed before the executable was made public?

The Scottish / New Zealand terrain is beautiful ... but appears even more stark with every day spent looking for a tiny opening to a cave. Was flipping the channels the other day and an episode of a show called Duck Commander was on from Scotland. ... hung around to check out the terrain, and can say A Boy and His Kite demo nailed it, the rocks, cliffs, grass, flowers, perfect. But perhaps a herd of rednecks with shotguns instead of deer would have spiced up the demo a bit more, or a zombiefied military unit of the Clan Wallace ... just kidding ... checking to see if anyone even reads this post anymore ... no offense intended to anyone ... especially the deer.

Cheers

Cheers
    Go to GDC_Landscape level and then go to Window-Levels, then double click on cave_interior to load the cave level in the scene.

Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lane,

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In Pt. 2 at ~56 minutes in (https://youtu.be/hNgcQ0BeGCs?t=3369), Chris Evans is talking about the kite tail simulation/animation and an open source tail toolkit which I can't seem to find on searches. Sounds like her name is Reann Tulon? Any chance someone has a link to that?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nothing but silence ... peculiar ...

And the Cave location?

Is it in the Runtime or was it removed before the executable was made public?

The Scottish / New Zealand terrain is beautiful ... but appears even more stark with every day spent looking for a tiny opening to a cave. Was flipping the channels the other day and an episode of a show called Duck Commander was on from Scotland. ... hung around to check out the terrain, and can say A Boy and His Kite demo nailed it, the rocks, cliffs, grass, flowers, perfect. But perhaps a herd of rednecks with shotguns instead of deer would have spiced up the demo a bit more, or a zombiefied military unit of the Clan Wallace ... just kidding ... checking to see if anyone even reads this post anymore ... no offense intended to anyone ... especially the deer.

Cheers

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry for the wait (Thanks, E3 )! The videos are now up

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can a developer state for certain that the Cave is in the Runtime executable? I have found every cinematic location with the exception of the cave. Looked over every meter of the upper left corner of the level ... where the twitch video said the cave was located ... and came up empty. Also, the lakes do not match the configuration and placement of the so called "final height map" discussed in the twitch video, making it even harder to find the cave. Help anyone? And thanks Epic for given us this demo, runtime, assets, and engine for free. Great upper management decision. You guys are the best. Hope the river tool in the next release. Cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
    try what I said in this thread.

hope it helps
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
    And the GDC_Landscape01 looks like this:

http://uupload.ir/files/0n4m_untitled.jpg

Any clue?