A Boy and His Kite - Jun 11 & Jun 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Just a quick question. Will the kite demo run on my system(not the .exe , from the editor) without lagging ? or do I need to upgrade my RAM ?

Configuration -
    i7 3770
    8 gb DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    nvidea gtx 980

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DanielW View Post
    It's not something we are actively working on unfortunately.
    Hey Daniel, If you would be able to help me get this working with translucent shadows then we could have a solution sooner! The fourier shadows aren't working correctly when my actor rotates.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ing-actor.html

video of issue link here.

The problem is either with tangents or bounds (or something I haven't figured out yet) Eric has been helping me out which is great but I'm still a bit stuck.

Also if we were able to get a gather4 node in the material editor, then I would be able to do proper trilinear interpolation accross volume slices (right now its doing sampling across adjacent slices which is actually wrong but is forgiving for now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For further Heightfield GI and Distance Field GI information in 4.8 please see this thread
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ield-GI-in-4-8

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any progress on volumetric clouds?
    It's not something we are actively working on unfortunately. That Intel demo looks great though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50GEvbOGUks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for tuning in guys it was fun.

other environments still require Light Propagation Volumes and they haven't seen any updates for a while. Can we expect to see new features, such as "emissive lighting for cheap area lights" (to quote the documentation) or increased distance/accuracy in the not-so-distant future?
    Here's the summary of the recent LPV improvements we integrated from Lionhead (2015/05/15)

updated LightPropagationVolume (from Lionhead Studios)
    * reduced order of SH (faster but a bit more blurry)
    * DirectionalOcclusion (disabled by default, can be enabled in PostProcessSettings, affects SkyLight and ReflectionEnvironments but not AmbientCube)
    * Material BlockGI feature
    * Spotlight support
    * Uses AsyncCompute on XboxOne as optimization (order is not optimized yet)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @RyanB: I don't suppose you feel like doing a thread focused on breaking down the Kite demo(as far as you were involved) and 4.8, focusing on workflow; including World Machine. With a similar mentality that DanielW has brought to his thread on DFGI in 4.8.

For a GDC demo or small project, settling for a flipped terrain isn't such a big deal. I'd also like to see the World Machine side of things when it comes to the splat/weightmaps you used. In another thread you mentioned:
    No. To be honest the flipped node caused me too much grief as well.

Never told anybody this but the gdc kite demo landscape is flipped compared to what it was initially supposed to be, but I just rolled with it. This isn't really a ue4 bug its more just an oddity of interface between UE4 and worldmachine. And worldmachines flipper node not working nicely.
    When we want to expand the world or replace certain areas of a rather massive world, this seems like it could become a rather big headache even with scripts to rename everything. Very disruptive to "flow".

Obviously with the Kite demo there's a focus on real world scale as well. Overall there's so much ground to cover(pun intended), that getting everything addressed in a Twitch stream just isn't going to happen. I'd love to see of some that unofficial internal workflow documentation that likely isn't planned to be released. There's a lot of gems floating around that aren't in wiki posts, but are instead scattered over different forum posts. Often it's also ddvlost making some great posts on the subject, it would be nice to get that wisdom consolidated into one thread. While there are lots of approaches to doing the same thing, I'd rather be using Epic's methods as much as possible(assuming efficiency is the overall result).
    Last edited by Xodroc; 06-12-2015, 02:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My first Twitch experience. Interesting talk, loads of great tips. Thanks guys!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
    I third this.
    I forth that, please release the script you used to edit the raw images, the one that created a preview image on top of the dark raw one.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nvm found it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Where can I download it? I can't see it under the Learn tab in the launcher. Or has it not been uploaded yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
    @Efrye:

Heightfield GI:
    There is info on Heightfield GI in the full release notes of 4.8 under "Lighting" roughly 2/3 down the scrollbar.
    Oh man, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for the info!
    Question updated.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [QUESTIONS]

- Will the upcoming Alembic support bring correct camera import from Maya/Max?
    - Any progress on volumetric clouds?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm in! Cannot wait for it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Efrye:

Heightfield GI:
    There is info on Heightfield GI in the full release notes of 4.8 under "Lighting" roughly 2/3 down the scrollbar.

-----------------------------------------------

LPV update:
    The master branch has the latest LPV features which have been checked in around mid May:

Updated LightPropagationVolume (from Lionhead Studios)

- reduced order of SH (faster but a bit more blurry)
    - DirectionalOcclusion (disabled by default, can be enabled in PostProcessSettings, affects SkyLight and ReflectionEnvironments but not AmbientCube)
    - Material BlockGI feature
    - Spotlight support
    - Uses AsyncCompute on XboxOne as optimization (order is not optimized yet)
    Last edited by The_Distiller; 06-11-2015, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been looking forward to this for months!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X