Recruiting and Hiring - May 21 @ 2PM ET

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Recruiting and Hiring - May 21 @ 2PM ET

Looking to get a job in the industry at a company like Epic? Want to know what we look for in applications or portfolios? This livestream will cover what to focus on while pursuing employment in the games industry.

WHAT

Epic's Sr. Recruiter Emily Gabrian and Lead Technical Artist Wyeth Johnson discuss the "Dos and Don'ts" in regards to getting a job in games.

WHEN
    Thursday, May. 21 @ 2PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
    www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
    Chance Ivey - Community Manager - @iveytron
    Emily Gabrian - Sr. Recruiter - @epictalent
    Wyeth Johnson - Lead Technical Artist - @SirWyeth

Edit: The YouTube archive is available here

Last edited by Chance Ivey; 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM.
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Awesome! Looking forward to the stream. This will be very useful, because I'm currently creating my own portfolio.
    Do you guys also talk about the recruitment process for indie games? (e.g any hints, legal stuff,...)

Comment

This should be very interesting, looking forward to the stream. =)

Project Reverie Game | SEJonF.com | Twitter | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets - Season 1 & Season 2 Discount Bundles Free Asset Demo | Ice Shader

Comment

Interesting indeed, can't wait for this one!
        Project Fantasiam

Comment

"Dos and Don'ts":

1#) Don't live in South America.
          2#) Live close to the company you want to work for.

From 3 to 10 I don't know 'cause I'm already out of the game from 1 to 2...

---

FX Artist, Technical Artist,
          Senior Artist,
          Lead Artist,
          Art Director,
          Lead Technical Artist...

Wyeth Johnson is a beast; Everybody at Epic have this 'Super Saiyan' profile?!
          I'd like to work as Tech Artist for any major company if I could leave South America; I just like to mess around with game engines a lot. Would love to hear from him how did he become a Tech Artist.
          Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 05-19-2015, 05:08 PM.
          | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I know I post this in every thread but I think it's awesome you guys do so many twitch casts about things like this.
            Current Projects -Cat Interstellar
            Lead Developer - Ionized Games

Comment

I'm loving the buisness side of thing based stream. Thank you
              W3 Studios

Comment

This could be a really useful stream. Thanks for doing this, guys. Would all of the tips and info you give in this stream also be useful for working in a software-related field outside of the games industry, too?

Comment

I've got a question!
                  In terms of Epic Games, which has more weight in a decision to hire: A graduate from a well known university with some experience OR a graduate from a normal/standard university with more experience.

Only asking this because I'm a first year CS student, but looking also grabbing as much experience as I can!

HTML/CSS/JS Powered UI - Free

Comment

Are you going to have a youtube (or other archive) of this video for later viewing?

Comment

You can watch it on Twitch after it's finished! And it's gonna be on youtube in few days, just like always.
                      Project Fantasiam

Comment

Originally posted by Eliasar View Post
                        Are you going to have a youtube (or other archive) of this video for later viewing?
                        Here we go: http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/v/5284623

Comment

Happy birthday Chance.

Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                          Custom Map Maker Discord
                          https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
                          Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Originally posted by AaronShea View Post
                            I've got a question!
                            In terms of Epic Games, which has more weight in a decision to hire: A graduate from a well known university with some experience OR a graduate from a normal/standard university with more experience.

Only asking this because I'm a first year CS student, but looking also grabbing as much experience as I can!
                            Experience and projects you can show, always win. Or at least should, if the right person is reading.
                            Just because you have some degree it doesn''t mean you know how create stuff (means: being creative). It only show, that you know, what to tell, to pass on.
                            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                              "Dos and Don'ts":

1#) Don't live in South America.

You've said it all!

That's right

Luny
                              lunybunny.com
                              lunybunny.com

Comment

Working...
                              X