Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Continuation of the 4.8 Preview! - May 7 2015 @ 2PM ET

WHAT
    Remember a couple weeks back when we ran out of time talking about the updates heading your way in 4.8? Mike Fricker is back to finish the conversation, and we're bringing along Matt Kuhlenschmidt, too, to help us catch up on all the great questions we had roll in.

The first of the 4.8 Preview releases should be available sometime this week as well, so keep an eye out for that!

WHEN
    Thursday, May. 7 @ 2PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
    www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
    Chance Ivey - Community Manager - @iveytron
    Mike Fricker - Technical Director - @mike_fricker
    Matt Kuhlenschmidt - Lead Tools Programmer

Edit: The YouTube archive is available here

Last edited by Chance Ivey; 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM.
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

[Question]
    Regarding bug fixes, has there been any work towards making sure things that work in the editor environment continue to work in the "standalone" test or the shipped project. I seem to consistently run into issues where what I thought to have been working is broken in different ways for the standalone and shipped versions of the project, making it impossible to ever feel relaxed after I have something working as it should in the editor, because now it seems I have to test it multiple times outside that where I don't even have access to the in editor debugging tools to narrow down where things could be going wrong somehow, when they shouldn't anyway because it works properly in the editor so it's not inherently an issue I should even need to fix and I can't report a bug because I don't even know what the bug is nor where it could be located.
    I would really really love to just be able to make a game in Unreal Engine and no everything I'm working on and seeing as playable could actually be shared with others but with my recent feature addition to my project, discovering it broken in standalone and other areas of my game broken in shipped, I can't even record a video to show them it let alone actually hope to send out a game for other people to play-there is no point if I'm the only one able to play it as intended in the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
      The first of the 4.8 Preview releases should be available sometime this week as well, so keep an eye out for that!
      Oh yeah! My favorite type of stream. =) Thanks for making it happen!

[Question]
      -How many pages of release notes this time compared to 4.7?
      W3 Studios

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftIllusion View Post
        [Question]
        Regarding bug fixes, has there been any work towards making sure things that work in the editor environment continue to work in the "standalone" test or the shipped project. I seem to consistently run into issues where what I thought to have been working is broken in different ways for the standalone and shipped versions of the project, making it impossible to ever feel relaxed after I have something working as it should in the editor, because now it seems I have to test it multiple times outside that where I don't even have access to the in editor debugging tools to narrow down where things could be going wrong somehow, when they shouldn't anyway because it works properly in the editor so it's not inherently an issue I should even need to fix and I can't report a bug because I don't even know what the bug is nor where it could be located.
        I would really really love to just be able to make a game in Unreal Engine and no everything I'm working on and seeing as playable could actually be shared with others but with my recent feature addition to my project, discovering it broken in standalone and other areas of my game broken in shipped, I can't even record a video to show them it let alone actually hope to send out a game for other people to play-there is no point if I'm the only one able to play it as intended in the editor.
        +1 !

And +10 Characters.
        Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
        Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

[Question]
          +2 !

I would also like to find out more about this as it is a common issue in our builds.

Comment

[Question]
            +3 !

This is a really annoying issue.

Comment

[Question]
              +4 !

I would also like to point out SwiftIllusion's thread regarding this topic, as it might be better discussed there in detail: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-functionality
              Regards,
              Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
              Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

[Question]
                +1. This is something that bothers me as well. And is a flow-killer.

Comment

[Question]
                  +1 on this one also.

Can we expect with 4.8, improvment on the Cooking & chunk creation documentation? As of today, it's a little bit hard to get the proper information. More, when you add directories for non directly referenced asset to be taken into account, you don't know if it's just the folder or all the subdirectories. Their should be some guidelines like on UMG references in C++ where you should linked to the generated class "_C" and not the asset. I know it's still in progress, but Cooking is clearly an important part of the final move to Beta Testers, and it could be great to cover this part as you did with all the features of UE.

On UMG side, can we expect some improvment like Styling(This topic is opened in answerhub since October)? Panel easy Reordering? You just set last week a new card on trello for this but I'm wandering why it took so long to put standard features in UMG as they are already in Slate. More, when reading the trello card, I undersdtand that UMG update is driven by Fortnite needs... is that really it? You just waited for Fortnite specs to improve this part?

Don't get me wrong, you are doing awesome job and I'm really pleased to use UE and always surprised on how complicated things can be setup easily, but sometimes you are doing buzz && fuzz on topics and let it down until 2 or more versions (which is months at the end of us ^^).

4.8 seems really promissing and again, I will be pleased to play with it.

Ps: I would like to put some attention on this issue. It's a base feature of BP that it's broken and it's slowing down the production workflow and lead to errors for beginners. When I first raise my concerns in the forum, a lot of people answered with workaround solution until someone from Epic said that should be the default behavior. I worked with the support team to reproduce the error so I hope to get it a fix in 4.8. Thanks

Comment

Just a quick note to let you know that I added Blueprint Visual Merge to the Git Plugin, as well as many smaller improvement and fix (Mac OS X...)

More information on the dedicated thread.
                    [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
                    UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.12-beta for UE4.22 - (v1 integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.7)
                    UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin (1.4.5 for UE4.22)

Comment

[Question]
                      +1

Also, before 4.7 we could make blueprint from objects layed in level - just selecting whatever I want, click on "replace with composite blueprint" and that's it, it converts to BP. But this funtionality no longer exists so can we expecting that will come back in 4.8 or later?
                      That was realy usefull back in a day
                      Game frameworks on Unreal Marketplace:

Third Person Shooter Kit - February 2017 Community Pick! - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...on-shooter-kit

Side Scroller Shooter Kit - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...er-shooter-kit

Support Discord channel: https://discord.gg/6rgv5Tj

Comment

[Question]
                        +1

There are allot of threads about this. I expect that Epic will address it at some point. I am going to see if 4.8 solves a particular instance of this in our current main project.

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterPL View Post
                          +1

Also, before 4.7 we could make blueprint from objects layed in level - just selecting whatever I want, click on "replace with composite blueprint" and that's it, it converts to BP. But this funtionality no longer exists so can we expecting that will come back in 4.8 or later?
                          That was realy usefull back in a day
                          This functionality still exists, it's in the Blueprints toolbar button (both one actor 'subclass' and many actor 'component harvest' actions; the one-actor subclass action is also in the details panel at the top level).

Cheers,
                          Michael Noland

Comment

Question for Mike Fricker. I noticed that you started working on support for VS 2015 (master branch). Is there a timeline on when this will be completed?

Comment

Please tell us if there are any dynamic mobile lighting improvements/additions.
                              Angry Ginger Santa - 2D Physics Game, UMG, Blueprints only, Android

CPP Dialogue System with logic in blueprints
                              Particles Propagation, Blueprint only

Comment

Working...
                              X