Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] 4.8 Preview, Game Jam Results, and More! - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT
    It's that time again! We're bringing back the dynamic duo Ray Davis and Mike Fricker to give us all the skinny on all things 4.8. As we prepare for the first preview release, you'll find out what all can be expected in the update, as well as ask questions about the things you care about most. Don't miss it!

Also, the April game jam results are in! Find out who the top submissions were this time around.

WHEN
    Thursday, April. 23 @ 2PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
    www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
    Chance Ivey - Community Manager - @iveytron
    Mike Fricker - Technical Director - @mike_fricker
    Ray Davis - Some Guy, or General Manager of Unreal Engine (Still trying to figure this one out...) - @EpicRayD

We know you have questions, so fire away!

Edit: The YouTube archive is available here

Last edited by Chance Ivey; 04-24-2015, 06:45 PM.
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Blutilities

My question is to do with Blutilities in general.

I want to use butilities to extend the editor more generally. For example, I want to add a custom menu in the main menu, for example, "My Tools", and populate it with items that execute blutility functions when selected. I want to ability to create a new dialog window I can pop up and draw into, so I can draw a custom slate/umg node system for something in-house. I want to do this via blutilities. I want to draw custom handles for objects in the scene viewport via blutilities too...

Is functionality like this planned in the future?

Tommy.

Comment

Will this stream previewtopic cover the new sequenser?
      System
      ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
      Artwork thread

Comment

I get super excited when Mike and Ray make it to stream. All kind of goodies come out!

[Questions]

1) At GDC, during a presentation it was said the shooter game was updated to run on a steam machine. Will this be with 4.8? I'd love to start taking a look at this for my own steam integration.

2) Whats the status on the Demo Recording Tools. I've tried a few times but it seems still buggy. I look forward to recording my game in 4.8 (fingers crossed)

3) Whats new in Hot Reload updates?

Thanks Epic for the wonderful work! =)
        Last edited by Devero; 04-20-2015, 08:09 PM. Reason: grammar
        W3 Studios

Comment

Awesome! Ill be sure to watch the stream live this time!

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
            WHAT
            It's that time again! We're bringing back the dynamic duo Ray Davis and Mike Fricker to give us all the skinny on all things 4.8. As we prepare for the first preview release, you'll find out what all can be expected in the update, as well as ask questions about the things you care about most. Don't miss it!

Also, the April game jam results are in! Find out who the top submissions were this time around.

WHEN
            Thursday, April. 23th @ 2PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
            www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
            Chance Ivey - Community Manager - @iveytron
            Mike Fricker - Technical Director - @mike_fricker
            Ray Davis - Some Guy, or General Manager of Unreal Engine (Still trying to figure this one out...) - @EpicRayD

We know you have questions, so fire away!
            Hey Chance, we are getting ansey over here on the SSP team, could they address new Paper2D features in some detail during the stream, or are the topics long set before the stream starts?

Comment

mmmm, definately want more info on that awesome mesh flipbook stuff you were talking about with that imbuefx guy the other week. Looks more fun than a box of puppies.

Comment

Would like to know more about

- Distribution of plugins without source. Maybe elaborate on epic's view on how to manage the versioning of marketplace plugins. (maintenance, recompilation etc). Are you thinking of hosting code yourself with a private build system or leave it do devs?

- Documentation of programming for the engine. Examples and Best practices for GameState, PlayerState, GameInstance and Game/Render thread, VertexFactory and Shaders etc would be lovely!

- Niagara ETA for a working early version! (currently crashes when a material is applied) Very excited for it.

- Forward Rendering for per pixel transparency updates? (A question for Martin Mittring?)
                Visual Effects Artist, Weta Digital, Wellington New Zealand
                BLOG www.danielelliott.co.uk
                @danielelliott3d https://twitter.com/danielelliott3d
                Unreal Engine and VFX Tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/DokipenTechTutorials
                2015 Showreel: https://vimeo.com/116917817

Comment

Mobile tendra un build mas reducido?

Comment

There are two things I wish I could do in a Blueprint-only game with UMG:

1. Fetch a list of the display resolutions available on the player's PC so they can choose their resolution in a settings menu.
                    2. Remap input action & axis mappings so the player can set their own keybindings in a settings menu.

Any chance either of these is shipping in 4.8? If not, do you plan to offer them in the future?
                    Join Unreal Slackers, the largest Unreal Engine communuty on Discord! → https://unrealslackers.org
                    Have a question? Give me a shout on Twitter → https://twitter.com/heypfist

Comment

This is going to be good! Can't wait hear about all the latest goodies.
                      Twitter - @JarlanPerez

[Released] Blueprint: Easy Dialogue System (BEDS)

Comment

Will html5 be limited by mobile progress? Also, Will html5 support OpenGl ES 3.1 and is it comparable to directx?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pfisterer View Post
                          There are two things I wish I could do in a Blueprint-only game with UMG:

1. Fetch a list of the display resolutions available on the player's PC so they can choose their resolution in a settings menu.
                          2. Remap input action & axis mappings so the player can set their own keybindings in a settings menu.

Any chance either of these is shipping in 4.8? If not, do you plan to offer them in the future?
                          while we are creating a wishlist, which is probably too late for 4.8 but we can hope.
                          - add UMG Keybinds or at least the ability to control the Keys in UMG
                          - enter key used to end a line of text in a text field in UMG, now can't seem to find an endline that works anymore

& slam_ -> "Mobile tendra un build mas reducido?"
                          I also hope they reduce mobile build size, as well as a working way to clean up projects before they are built for release for all platforms.
                          - also would help to add easier deployment and monetization

& dokipen's post
                          "- Documentation of programming for the engine. Examples and Best practices for GameState, PlayerState, GameInstance and Game/Render thread, VertexFactory and Shaders etc would be lovely!"

- Been begging for Best Practices Examples for BPs as well for these topics, almost every tutorial or example has someone saying: "well let's just put this here for this example but you might want to do it differently in an actual project" & then that's it. we never get an explanation or tutorial or even a link pointing to a correct way to do it or the different ways to do it correctly for different uses.

and while we're wishing:
                          - UMG Canvas Background Fill Color
                          - take casting back out like they did before or make it an option, there was a previous engine version where you set what you needed to public & it worked.(or at least 'global' variables)

That being said, I am looking forward to this release, had such great hopes for 4.7 having gone thru rigorous testing by UE & the community that we would wind up with a very stable release but although the process might be solid I don't think 4.7 can be said to be the same.

Still all n all I have to commend UE & their staff & all the contributors on their efforts for I can see nothing but a bright future for Unreal Engine.
                          Bumpy as the road getting there may be. so thanks

I'm also looking forward to this stream and will be watching for news about the solid release that we all hope 4.8 will be.
                          Last edited by ayretek; 04-21-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

What's the current state of the "sequencer" + what will be included + any release date?

e.g
                            -different video formats (mp4,...)
                            -audio recording
                            Last edited by fighter5347; 04-21-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X