JANUARY GAME JAM: Theme: BACK TO SQUARE ONE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ayewyn View Post
    Question; is it okay to use public domain and/or creative commons 0 (CC0), sound/music assets? Reading the rules it would seem that's alright, but I just wanted to double check to stay on the safe side.
    Aint no thang
    UE4 Development [VR & AR Forums | VR Docs | ARKit Guide | ARCore Guide]
    Make and Maintain Framerate [ Robo Recall Postmortem]
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

I'll be streaming playthroughs of all submissions starting immediately after the contest deadline as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/awesomeallar

Comment

Originally posted by Ayewyn View Post
        You could try breaking down the theme into a core concept to use as a seed for an idea. Our team started with the idea of "Repetition and Iteration" for our project. The game will involve doing something which upon completion leads you to circumstances similar to those you started with, with some aspect changed. We worked from there to flesh out an idea and gameplay.
        And... bam that helped. I misread the theme when coming back here during a break and had an idea pop up from that. Really simple and basic for the mechanic so hopefully 1 night to get it working then another night to make it look and play well.

=)

Comment

I am Game Designer,i am looking for a 3D artist and a Programmer (prefer Blueprint) i will be making a board game(not snakes & ladders) but something different
          So anyone who wants to join me,PM me

Comment

I like the theme of this jam, I'm going to try and round up my team and get sometime entered for this one!

Comment

Awesome, Count me in !!!
              Buy my brain-melting game deORBIT from Steam.
              DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEET :P

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
                We like geometry okay!?
                What about gameplay? Its just abit hard to think outside the box when thats what youre given. Im not complaining, just making a suggestion

Comment

We like geometry okay!?
                  I think its more about Epic loves cats, and cats love boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                    I think its more about Epic loves cats, and cats love boxes.
                    We are actually cats in disguise, you got us
                    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Why is everyone thinking of "back to square one" in a literal sense? Remember this is a colloquialism.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaan View Post
                        Why is everyone thinking of "back to square one" in a literal sense? Remember this is a colloquialism.
                        Literal representations are more allowed - However anyone interprets the theme is cool with us!
                        UE4 Development [VR & AR Forums | VR Docs | ARKit Guide | ARCore Guide]
                        Make and Maintain Framerate [ Robo Recall Postmortem]
                        Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Working on it!

I'm gonna get some rest tho.

Comment

Literal representations are more allowed - However anyone interprets the theme is cool with us!
                            Sadly I can't think in a small enough scope to have a usable idea. Somehow "start game with arrested character covered in blood then go play through his entire day backwards to the tragedy that started it all" sounds like a little too much work for three days heh.

Comment

That is true, for instance we were considering time elements but all in all its tricky to ignore the square since it makes up 1/4 of the overall if we include to but really, back to is one part on its own. The thing is this colloquialism has obvious ties to gaming history in that it can be traced to board games (namely snakes [chutes] and ladders) and hopscotch both which are largely about squares.

One thing I missed about whats inside the box for instance was that it could be interpreted as a christmas theme but its been a long time since I had any boxes under the tree, digital gifts are more common as well as having friends and family globally. Im sure Epic considered this interpretation themselves and actually expected it which is why it was chosen for December in particular.

Im guessing that this has something to do with perhaps schooling and the new year, it really depends on how much weight you put on an occasion though as these holiday themes are very personal.

I think what Im saying is that it would be nice to have a less specific field of view and more in regards to the interpretation, games are ofcoarse art forms too so I do think we need to look less literally but does that mean I should do something involving pi because this says square? That wouldnt make alot of sense would it!?

We considered things like starting at the end of the game and working forward or being shunted back to the start but both of those are quite literal interpretations, Im just finding it extremely difficult not to take this literally.

Comment

Sadly I can't think in a small enough scope to have a usable idea. Somehow "start game with arrested character covered in blood then go play through his entire day backwards to the tragedy that started it all" sounds like a little too much work for three days heh.
                                That does sound like a fun idea though!
                                Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                                How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                                Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Working...
                                X