Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Twitch] Networking, and Game Jam Theme Announce! - Nov 13, 2014 @ 2PM ET

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Hi
    How do you handle re-spawning the character in say a death match? Also, how would you get the playerstart locations from a map into the gamemode blueprint so you can select one at random?

    Comment


      #32
      - HOW TO REPLICATE PHYSICS BASED MOVEMENT? (tutorial will be appreciated)
      - EXPOSE SPAWNPLAYERS TO GAME MODE BLUEPRINT PLEASE
      How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

      My Marketplace Assets

      Comment


        #33
        Question:
        Are there any plans to integrate RakNet into UE4's core or is there a plugin in the works from either Epic Games or the community at large?

        If not,
        What are the pros and cons of Epic's own networking code over that of RakNet??? (Oculus LCC purchased RakNet about 5 months ago and made it open-source for those that don't know)

        RakNet Oculus Announcement: http://www.oculus.com/blog/announcin...3-2014-awards/
        RakNet GitHub: https://github.com/OculusVR/RakNet
        Regards,
        Benjamin D. Smith

        Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
        Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by rje View Post
          One more thing I ran into, more of a potential issue/bug than a question really. But thought I'd raise it to see if it's a known issue or not:

          https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...d-windows.html
          Hey Rje, I have one of my technicians assigned to investigate that question. He'll get a response to you as soon as he can.
          Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
          How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
          Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

          Comment


            #35
            heck , i do not understand how twitch store last video...
            Please someone Can giving me the link of the last twitch, I missed it ?
            Thank by advance

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by ChrisTm View Post
              heck , i do not understand how twitch store last video...
              Please someone Can giving me the link of the last twitch, I missed it ?
              Thank by advance
              http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/b/588435042
              Lets Measure It
              Blueprints to measure distances, area's, circumferences and routes/paths. Check out the marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ets-measure-it

              Comment


                #37
                Oh yes thank you, I found the previous editions button

                Comment


                  #38
                  This is excellent news ! Having OSS functionality available through BP will save so many so much time. Thank you !

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by crowl View Post
                    Networking in UE4!
                    - Framework Discussion
                    - Network Demos
                    - Making MP games easier/possible with only BPs
                    Questions? Let's hear 'em!
                    Any word on when the sample game mentioned at 12m 9s will be available? http://youtu.be/4LV7KKtzKs8?t=12m9s

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Hi,

                      I tried to understand the answer to the question "Could you please eloborate on how to replicate data per connection and not per actor?" but I'm not getting the point on how you will deal that with a array on the playercontroller set to COND_AllButOwner.

                      Could you please write down in the forum the quick algorithym logic you share on during the video? I'm don't know how I should can control to whom I'm sending the data.

                      Thanks,

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by Elvince View Post
                        Hi,

                        I tried to understand the answer to the question "Could you please eloborate on how to replicate data per connection and not per actor?" but I'm not getting the point on how you will deal that with a array on the playercontroller set to COND_AllButOwner.

                        Could you please write down in the forum the quick algorithym logic you share on during the video? I'm don't know how I should can control to whom I'm sending the data.

                        Thanks,
                        Hi Elvince,

                        My answer was more suited for filtering replication through property updates to a certain connection. If you wanted to do this, you could:

                        Register a property that holds all the state that you wanted to be per connection like this:

                        DOREPLIFETIME_CONDITION( APlayerController, PerConnectionState, COND_OwnerOnly );

                        Then, if you wanted to change the state for a particular connection, I would find the connection that had that player controller, and change the state of PerConnectionState on that player controller. This change would only get sent to the connection that owned that player controller.

                        This is definitely not the most ideal way, but it's the best thing I can come up with at the moment that wouldn't require a lot of changes.

                        Even simpler of course, is to just send an RPC on that player controller, and definitely works if the state you want to send is more event driven rather than "send this if the data changed".

                        Hope this helps!

                        Comment


                          #42
                          @John,

                          thanks for the additional explanation. I think I need to dig into the code to find how the connection are managed.

                          In fact, my goal was simple: I wanted to share the health value of all your teammates but not your ennemy.
                          Where the goal was simple, it's implementation is not easy.

                          For the moment, I set the health attribute to replicate to all, but I feel that some people will hack this data to show it in their UI and then seeing ennemy life

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Elvince View Post
                            @John,

                            thanks for the additional explanation. I think I need to dig into the code to find how the connection are managed.

                            In fact, my goal was simple: I wanted to share the health value of all your teammates but not your ennemy.
                            Where the goal was simple, it's implementation is not easy.

                            For the moment, I set the health attribute to replicate to all, but I feel that some people will hack this data to show it in their UI and then seeing ennemy life
                            Hi Elvince,

                            Good point! Hacking is always a worry.

                            For this, you won't really need to worry about it at the connection level. You can use the method I described above, but just worry about stuffing the health into the PerConnectionState for the player controllers that are on the correct team (this can be named PerPlayerControllerState really).

                            So if you set up the property as above, your code could look like this:
                            if ( PlayerController->Team == CorrectTeam )
                            {
                            PlayerController->PerConnectionState->Health = Health;
                            }

                            For this, you can definitely also just use an RPC to periodically update the health to the appropriate player controllers if it doesn't change often, but I can see the need to update health often, so maybe this doesn't apply.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              @John,

                              Ok I think I understand the way you suggest to implement this.
                              In fact the PerConnectionState will hold the data that I want to send to a connection in particular.

                              On my case, it will hold the Pawn Ref and its health. So on the client, if I want to show the health I won't look on my Pawn class, but I will get this information from the PlayerController. Or when the PerconnectionState is replicated, I can update the data on the client.

                              I think this will work for my case. Thanks for the suggestion.

                              Ps: As you said, RPC is not ok for Health as it will change a lot and RPC will cost much more thant the regular Replication process.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Elvince View Post
                                @John,

                                Ok I think I understand the way you suggest to implement this.
                                In fact the PerConnectionState will hold the data that I want to send to a connection in particular.

                                On my case, it will hold the Pawn Ref and its health. So on the client, if I want to show the health I won't look on my Pawn class, but I will get this information from the PlayerController. Or when the PerconnectionState is replicated, I can update the data on the client.

                                I think this will work for my case. Thanks for the suggestion.

                                Ps: As you said, RPC is not ok for Health as it will change a lot and RPC will cost much more thant the regular Replication process.
                                You can definitely store this on the player controller directly, but you can also store it on the pawn. As long as the pawn is possessed by the controller, it's sill "owned" by that connection, and any properties replicated with the COND_OnlyOwner will work as you need. You can then store these values on the pawn if you like.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X