No announcement yet.

[Twitch] UE4 Rendering - Apr. 9, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lets hope its a bit less boring then last livestream. show more actual engine footage, deminstratons, tutortials, tips etc. more hands on stuff. not just sitting around talking about the engine for an hour. thats boring :-p.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenios View Post
      lets hope its a bit less boring then last livestream. show more actual engine footage, deminstratons, tutortials, tips etc. more hands on stuff. not just sitting around talking about the engine for an hour. thats boring :-p.
      Well, it was a livestream about an engine, what did you expect? There is plenty of footage around the web, I don't think any one on here needs more marketing material, considering most people already are customers. What's much more interesting is hearing about current development, new features and the future of the engine.
      Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Some info on the state of the dynamic GI development would be nice
        Fully dynamic Time of Day System blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-of-Day-Setup Download it for free now!

Comment

I'd love to see someone comment on Texture Arrays (Or 3D Textures) in relation of using them with shaders to create near enough to limitless terrain painting.

Comment

A feature I'd like to see is a hair shader with anisotropic highlights. (Actually, I'd love to see a stand-alone hair system in UE4).

Comment

I have few question as well. One that I think everybody is curious in long term:
              1. Global Illumination. Are you guys going to work, on LPV system (which looks quite promising), or are you considering alternatives. Like Deferred Radiance (Irradiance) Volumes, Delta Radiance Transfer, or other SH probe based solutions ? Can't pretend I understand fully how they work, but from What I understand both LPV and radiance transfer solution are viable, if enough tweaking to end user is exposed.
              Any plans to introduce OptiX baking solution for static lighting ? I can sacrifice my editor usage, for 3 minutes level bakes .

Now important questions for me:

1. Will be there Forward Pass rendering for proper Order Indepedant Transparecy sorting ? And more over proper transparent surface rendering. So transparent surfaces can be 100% opaque, without bleeding ? Currently transparency is in flux. It is especially annoying when trying to use transparent Decals. In some cases bleeding is acceptable in other (when you place brick decals over plaster wall) is not. Will be there possibility to place decals directly on model within DCC app, and then export it, and apply decal material to that surface. I currently use floating geometry for it, but you can imagine, it not always fit and there can be z-fighting issues.

2. Foliage Lighting Mode. Will be there foliage lighting mode in foreseeable future ? Currently there is no way to make lighting condition independent, realistic looking foliage. What would be needed here is nice uniform lighting mode, for two sided materials, that is more surface normal independent.
              Which also takes into account directional lighting, and ambient light.

3. Are there any plans at all to reintroduce custom lighting mode to engine ? I know that we need Forward Pass rendering to do it. But honestly we need it anyway. I don't think the issues with translucency sorting can be solved in deferred pass. Though I might be wrong!
              In any case reintroducing custom lighting mode would solve the problem with foliage.

4. Any plans to improve shadow rendering ? I mean current system is "all or nothing" within set distance. It would be more efficient to have system that takes into consideration object size/distance ratio. So small objects will cast shadows only closer to camera, while huge hero objects that might be in background (like big building), will cast shadows from far away.
              Any plans to use shadow map cache for further optimizations ? Static objects do not need to update shadow map every frame. It can be updated every 4 frames for example. Useful for scenarios with time of day, where lighting is changing over time but not fast enough to make cached shadows look odd when changing.

Out of curiosity. Did you guys considered using Sparse_textures for shadow maps ? I was unable to find any paper on it, but in theory it could allow for nearly infinite quality shadows maps, with very little memory usage. It can be interesting research direction!

5. Will area lights be back ? By area lights I means lights that affects diffuse color from arbitrary shape. Though I will be happy with just rectangle!

6. Any plans to introduce real volumetric lighting ? I mean volumetric lighting that can be see scattered in fog or dust when you are not looking more or less in direction of sun.
              Last edited by iniside; 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM.
              https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by gregdumb View Post
                +1 For this !!

Perhaps you can release the "current/beta/wip" high overhead version you have for us with the more powerful system and the community can help in tuning it ?
                Last edited by Ad3ViLl; 04-09-2014, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                  6. Any plans to introduce real volumetric lighting ? I mean volumetric lighting that can be see scattered in fog or dust when you are not looking more or less in direction of sun.
                  This would be awesome !

Comment

A couple questions:

1. How should one go about implementing BRDFs and integrating them with the existing system? From the Siggraph slides ( http://blog.selfshadow.com/publicati...c_notes_v2.pdf ) it looks like you're using Cook-Torrance, I'd like to implement Ashikhmin-Shirley for example, and Penner's pre-integrated skin shading too.
                    2. +1 to area lights question

Comment

I have a niche question. I work in a lab that does a lot of academic research involving flight sims. We have a lot of work invested in aviation instrumentation/GUI components that pump out C++ OpenGL code that can then be dropped into any GL renderer assuming we have decent scene graph access. We've done this with many renders including our own OpenSceneGraph solutions to commercial products from the simulation world. Although it forces us to a GL only version of the engine, do you think such an integration would be difficult with the UE4 pipeline. If not, where do you think the best place to hook in our code would be?

Thanks for all the great work you're doing; the render is really impressive. Really well balanced AA solution!
                      VR R&D @Shopify

Comment

Originally posted by gregdumb View Post
                        They covered that in the last Live Stream I believe, there's no plans for it right now. Static lighting still gives you accuracy that dynamic lights can't, and the current stationary lights are a good compromise IMO.

Comment

Custom Lighting support/support for user-created lighting models still remains my topmost question personally. Do we simply submit questions during the stream?

Comment

Actually, I'm curious about the stuff that people have already asked about: volumetric lighting, volumetric shadowing, area lights, area shadows, more detailed shadow rendering for different objects, contact-hardening shadows (although, area shadows ARE actually contact-hardening shadows by the very definition of area lighting), etc.
                            Nothing special, to be honest...

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                              They covered that in the last Live Stream I believe, there's no plans for it right now. Static lighting still gives you accuracy that dynamic lights can't, and the current stationary lights are a good compromise IMO.
                              No they only covered why they removed SVOGI.
                              I'm actually really curious what other GI solution they are currently examining for implementation. LPV is already here, and I would love to know if they are planing on expanding it or implementing something different.

I would also love to know about GPU precomputation for GI. I willing to sacrifice my editor working for it, if it can reduce rendering time from 30mins+ to 5mins.
                              https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

This starts in 5 minutes btw right? Unless I'm mistaken on timezones.

Comment

Working...
                                X