Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Twitch] Fortnite In-Game Animation Tips & Tricks and Game Jam Result - Oct. 30, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks fighter5347.

Comment

How was the stream? I ended up falling asleep at my desk missing the remaining 70-60% of the stream and eventually heading back to bed soon after

FYI I was strung out coffee guy aka BLOODTIDE12
      Regards,
      Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
      Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Nice stream! Very informative!

Can you provide a screenshot of the animation blueprint?

The one I attached, just in good resolution

Comment

Originally posted by Amaresh View Post
          [QUESTION] How can I prevent player from going through another player while playing a kick animation?
          Yes, you can do this using AnimMontage and RootMotion

Here's a link to the docs:
          Last edited by GuapoTaco101; 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaresh View Post
            [QUESTION] How can I prevent player from going through another player while playing a kick animation?

And Please show a demo on a good combat system.

Cheers.
            Hi Amaresh.

There are plenty of ways to achieve this. If you wanted to have a good connection between both players, you could align them both on markers and play a synchronized animation. This is how we did the execution animations in Gears of War.
            If you want something more dynamic, you could use the capsule collision on both character as a stopping point to prevent penetration.

Hope this helps,
            Laurent
            Laurent "SenorZorro" Delayen
            Senior Gameplay Programmer
            Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
              I have question, about procedural animations over network.

Say I have typical IK setup for character legs, so they get repositions when there is difference in elevation.
              It always work for client (I mean for character player is controlling), but I don't remember seeing such thing working for other replicated character, and it makes animations look out of place, especially in slow paced games.

The same thing goes for other things, like tilting when character rotates.

Two questions. Is is possible to make such things work over for all actors ?
              Would it require replication of redundant information (information which are not important for gameplay). So essentialy can this be done only on client side if needed ?
              Yes, the key here is to make sure your foot placement is deterministic. Meaning a client providing it has the same set of inputs as the server (position in the world, slope of the ground, etc.) results in the same foot placement. So all clients and the server have the same view of that actor (ie mesh adjustment results in the same changes).

We did this in Gears of War 3. We had foot placement running on server and clients, and was deterministic based on the position of the Actor in the world. We looked at the navmesh for an approximation of the slope. That gave us general posture and and center of mass balancing. Then we did individual traces for each foot to conform to the exact world geometry.

Hope that helps.
              -Laurent
              Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Devero View Post
                Chance, I love what you and Dana do every week. The twitch streams are my favorite show to watch and they are always very informative! Keep it up!

[Questions]
                1) Any plans to have a viewmodel mode in Persona. I would love to have a settable FPS camera to view from during animation tweaks / blending.

2) Any plans to allow us to keyframe imported animations especially for quick minor tweaks? Sometimes I just want to rotate the hand a little after without having to go back to the animator, explain the change, and then re-import it.

I Love the work team Epic is doing, keep it up!

Thanks!
                Devero
                Abatron Team
                1) Not yet. But is definitely a great idea, and something we should pursue.
                2) yes, Lina Halper is working on something like that right now. not sure when ETA is for this though.

-Laurent
                Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Therriault View Post
                  Can you change the play rate of animations via blueprint at runtime? For example, I have an animation for the player to turn a wheel to unlock a door (think Metal Gear Solid 2 tanker). Also like MGS2, I'd like to have the player be able to press the button repeatedly to open the door faster. For this I'd need to speed up the animation. I've tried to find a node to do this but I'm having no luck.
                  I don't think we have straight support for this in the AnimBlueprint. You can feed in the position of the animation. So you could update that position over time based on your play rate.
                  Another option would be to play this through an Anim Montage. You can control the Play Rate on the fly there.

-Laurent
                  Epic Games

Comment

Hello,

That stream was very informative. Thanks!

Nevertheless, I have a few questions related to the animation blueprint / graph by themselves:
                    1. what is the type of the "Evaluate" node? I can't add such a node in my anim graph.

2. Is there a specific animation type for poses in UE4 or are they considered as plain animations?

I also have a more general question:

What is your workflow in Fortnite to trigger "one-shot" montages in a replicated environment, and react to events / branching point events?

I did not find any "how-to" about this, so based on what I understood in the docs about replication, I came up with this flow, but I would like to know if there is another more efficient way to achieve this.

As an exemple, I will take a case from the basket ball game I'm developping:
                    • A PlayerController pushes a button to make the pawn pass the ball
                    • I check if we are on the server. If not, I call Server_Pass. If we are, I call Multicast_Pass
                    • In Server_Pass_Implementation, I call Pass, which will then call Multicast_Pass
                    • In Multicast_Pass, as it is called on the server and all clients, I play the montage everywhere.
                    • I have a branching point in the animation to actually mark the moment the ball should leave the pawn's hands to be passed to a teammate. I catch this "event" and detach the ball from the character's hand and do the AddImpulse on the ball. But only on the server, as it is the only one to manage the gameplay. The replication will do the rest.

Is this "ping-pong" between the player who initiated the action and the server the correct way to do this? I've never done any networked game before and I would like to be sure I did understand the flow well enough.

Thanks in advance
                    My game dev blog : http://www.emidee.net/

Comment

Perhaps I missed it while watching the excellent stream (Seriously, it was pretty great) but...

How do you guys handle foot placement ik for the player character? You talk about IK in other regards, but do you have any in-house solution for handling foot placement? The Unreal Documentation isn't suited to player controlled 3rd person foot ik.

-T

Comment

Originally posted by TimT View Post
                        Perhaps I missed it while watching the excellent stream (Seriously, it was pretty great) but...

How do you guys handle foot placement ik for the player character? You talk about IK in other regards, but do you have any in-house solution for handling foot placement? The Unreal Documentation isn't suited to player controlled 3rd person foot ik.

-T
                        Hello,

I think there is an example of IK foot placement in the content sample project

Comment

Originally posted by Zoubi View Post
                          Hello,

I think there is an example of IK foot placement in the content sample project
                          You are most certainly correct, however I'm of the understanding that this works only on NPC characters and not the User Controlled character. There are issues with the collision capsule I believe. One can pay for a plugin like ikinema, but UDK had a working solution and I suppose I'm curious if something like that is already there and I missed it, or simply hasn't been implemented yet. Hopefully in the future though?

Comment

why would it work with NPC and not with played characters? they have the same behavior, concerning the capsule component. (I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't have the same behavior anyway)

Comment

Im a little late to this twitch stream, but I learnt a great deal so I would like to say thanks!

I do have a related question. I have a skeleton which is retargeted to 3 body types (small/medium/large) I found adding in an additive animation breaks this retargeting? All the animation has been done on the medium body type and retargeted to the large/smaller body types. When I apply an additive animation the large/small body types gets deformed back to the medium body type. Could it be the way the additive system works? the additive animation is a simple wind blowing on the secondary joints(such as hair/pouches) and I would really like for this to work on all retargeted body types.

cheers!

Comment

Idk, if you guys still reading it, but I have been watching, stream again, and I have one question.

How do you add secondary movement to weapon pose ? I don't think that part was really explained on stream.

Right I tried to setup something similar (albeit eve more complicated, with dual wield of arbitrary weapons, and each weapon can provide it's own unique poses).

Right now I tried to apply secondary movement to weapon pose from basic movement animation, but looking at the fact that setup complexity grows exponentially and I need different alpha values to apply proper amount of animation to weapon pose (which might be different when character is aiming, idle or moving). I don't think this approach is valid one.
                                https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Working...
                                X