Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Twitch] Fortnite In-Game Animation Tips & Tricks and Game Jam Result - Oct. 30, 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Twitch] Fortnite In-Game Animation Tips & Tricks and Game Jam Result - Oct. 30, 2014

Senior Gameplay Programmer Laurent Delayen and Lead Animator Matthew Russell take us through some of their workflows in creating and implementing animations for Fortnite! The East Coast Dev Tour is just around the corner, and we're ready to announce the developer tracks and speakers. Also, catch the winning games from the October Game Jam! Come hang out with us this Thursday!

WHAT
    A look into our Unreal Engine 4 animation workflow with Fortnite as an example!

WHEN
    Thursday, October 30th @ 2PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
    www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO

Chance Ivey - Community Manager - @iveytron
    Laurent Delayen - Sr. Gameplay Programmer - @ldelayen
    Matthew Russell - Lead Animator: Fortnite - @russellanim

Let us have your questions below!

EDIT: The YouTube archive is up here.

Chance
    Last edited by Chance Ivey; 11-01-2014, 11:56 AM.
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Not a question but just wanted to say I'm super excited about this particular stream

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
      Senior Gameplay Programmer Laurent Delayen and Lead Animator Matthew Russell take us through some of their workflows in creating and implementing animations for Fortnite! The East Coast Dev Tour is just around the corner, and we're ready to announce the developer tracks and speakers. Also, catch the winning games from the October Game Jam! Come hang out with us this Thursday!

WHAT

WHEN
      Tuesday, October 30th @ 2PM ET - [Countdown]

WHERE
      www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
      Dana Cowley - Sr. Marketing Manager - @danacowley
      Laurent Delayen - Sr. Gameplay Programmer - @ldelayen
      Matthew Russell - Lead Animator: Fortnite - @russelanim
      Chance Ivey - Community Manager - @iveytron

Let us have your questions below!

Chance

I am looking forward to this too! BTW: I think you mean Thursday 30th October?

Comment

Will Be very interesting thank

Comment

[QUESTION] How can I prevent player from going through another player while playing a kick animation?

And Please show a demo on a good combat system.

Cheers.

Comment

I have question, about procedural animations over network.

Say I have typical IK setup for character legs, so they get repositions when there is difference in elevation.
            It always work for client (I mean for character player is controlling), but I don't remember seeing such thing working for other replicated character, and it makes animations look out of place, especially in slow paced games.

The same thing goes for other things, like tilting when character rotates.

Two questions. Is is possible to make such things work over for all actors ?
            Would it require replication of redundant information (information which are not important for gameplay). So essentialy can this be done only on client side if needed ?
            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Chance, I love what you and Dana do every week. The twitch streams are my favorite show to watch and they are always very informative! Keep it up!

[Questions]
              1) Any plans to have a viewmodel mode in Persona. I would love to have a settable FPS camera to view from during animation tweaks / blending.

2) Any plans to allow us to keyframe imported animations especially for quick minor tweaks? Sometimes I just want to rotate the hand a little after without having to go back to the animator, explain the change, and then re-import it.

I Love the work team Epic is doing, keep it up!

Thanks!
              Devero
              Abatron Team
              W3 Studios

Comment

Can you change the play rate of animations via blueprint at runtime? For example, I have an animation for the player to turn a wheel to unlock a door (think Metal Gear Solid 2 tanker). Also like MGS2, I'd like to have the player be able to press the button repeatedly to open the door faster. For this I'd need to speed up the animation. I've tried to find a node to do this but I'm having no luck.
                Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
                - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Comment

[QUESTION]

I've Imported some animations with root motion built in from a 3d software, but it doesn't work inside UE4 even though I've enabled root motion settings inside my Montage Properties. How can I fix this?

Comment

When's the next game jam? I had no clue about these! Would be fun thing to do with my team!

Comment

[Question]
                      how do you do the character anims for the weapons and aimoffsets, i ask because in one stream they showed a bit of the animblueprint and stated that they used a single pose for each weapon and blended it into the main anims

also in mind on how to use the aimoffset anim sequence in the animation starter set
                      UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                      ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Does it has started ? The video don't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Galeon View Post
                          Does it has started ? The video don't play.
                          1 hour 42 minutes left till it starts

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
                            1 hour 42 minutes left till it starts
                            Actually it ended 30 minutes ago!

Lot of people were affected by the time change I think (except for us North American's)
                            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                              Actually it ended 30 minutes ago!

Lot of people were affected by the time change I think (except for us North American's)
                              Ahhh, yep, time has changed....

@Galeon: Here we go: http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/b/583491357

Comment

Working...
                              X