No announcement yet.

Inside Unreal: DLSS and RTXGI with NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After getting the Caustics branch up and running, I gotta say, its pretty awesome!
    The caustics stuff is really cool, but I love the new RtGi.
    All the extra settings are great and the new denoiser is fantastic.
    Final gather looks so much closer to Brute force now and I can really only see the noise on untextured surfaces in partial soft shadow.
    Also being able to have ray traced shading, refraction and absorption in reflections is fantastic, I do interior kitchen and bathroom renders and this improves the look of mirrors quite a bit.

Like RTXGi the caustics stuff only works with low level lighting values, not physically correct values, so hopefully this can be addressed, but it is not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience.

Is there any timeline for when these new caustics and RT features will become part of the main branch?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_._ View Post
      After getting the Caustics branch up and running, I gotta say, its pretty awesome!
      The caustics stuff is really cool, but I love the new RtGi.
      All the extra settings are great and the new denoiser is fantastic.
      Final gather looks so much closer to Brute force now and I can really only see the noise on untextured surfaces in partial soft shadow.
      Also being able to have ray traced shading, refraction and absorption in reflections is fantastic, I do interior kitchen and bathroom renders and this improves the look of mirrors quite a bit.

Like RTXGi the caustics stuff only works with low level lighting values, not physically correct values, so hopefully this can be addressed, but it is not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience.

Is there any timeline for when these new caustics and RT features will become part of the main branch?
      i have applied for rtxgi on nvidia website but didnot get any reply. how did you get rtxgi? Rtxgi and rtgi is different?

Comment

I'm surprised that RTXGI is NOT going to be part of 5.0. Why? Also can anyone confirm whether the experimental caustics branch is still available? Keep getting a 404 after linking my github.

Comment

Originally posted by eco_bach2 View Post
          I'm surprised that RTXGI is NOT going to be part of 5.0. Why?
          Assuming you mean UE5, afaik it's because it requires an nvidia card. UE4's raytracing implementation uses DXR so in theory AMDs cards will support it in the future

Comment

Originally posted by REC View Post
            One more thing guys, the Caustics branch went live today. You can get access to it on our site: https://developer.nvidia.com/unrealengine

You'll need github developer access, but that's all. Then you can build the branch yourself. You'll notice in the documentation on the github page for this one are little demos and example projects for download.

It's also worth noting that the Caustics branch includes a new improved version of RTGI. If you're having a difficult time getting access to RTXGI right now, you could go for the new version of RTGI in this branch instead. It does have the advantage of including caustics, improved translucency effects as well, plus all of our other NvRTX branch enhancements for ray tracing. So for many people this might be the branch to get. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
            thank you, caustics looks very interesting, there is a huge field to play, i just don't get what's the difference between approving rtxgi and caustics branches. why not open rtxgi branch as caustics branch without promising any support for "non corporate" customers? are there some secret R&D? )

Comment

so i've tried opening sample projects, everything working well so far. But cant get it to work for my new project.Caustics not working at allll. Is anyone worked it out?
              Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandosh View Post
                so i've tried opening sample projects, everything working well so far. But cant get it to work for my new project.Caustics not working at allll. Is anyone worked it out?
                try Cast Mesh Caustic in your light(s) = on: https://youtu.be/9U5MBMnzbo8

Last edited by alzosmol; 10-18-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alzosmol View Post

try Cast Mesh Caustic in your light(s) = on: https://youtu.be/9U5MBMnzbo8

i turned on that also materials, lights and post process volume. But still no luck. Oh and also, mesh normals not working in caustics. I see polygons on my caustics, so what do i do?
                  Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Working...
                  X