No announcement yet.

Inside Unreal: Animating with the Control Rig Sample Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is this system able to cover all the basic IK features of a regular game character? Things like foot IK for ground collision, hand to wall adaptation, etc.

Comment

How can the Control Rig be used with skeletal rigs other than the default SK_Mannequin? For example Mixamo Rigs?
      I have a rig exported from Mixamo in a T-Pose, The skeleton bones don;t appear too dissimilar to those of the SK_Mannequin but when I use exactly the same configuration that works on the SK_Mannequin for IK of Hand or Foot, on the Mixamo Rig the arms and legs go all bendy.

Can anyone help please?
      Why does it work for SK_Mannequin but not MixamoRig?

Ultimately what I want to do is to be able to control my rig in real time using external input (Avateering)
      Any pointers on how to do this would be welcome too.
      Last edited by VictorLerp; 08-18-2020, 08:16 PM. Reason: Image not appropriate

Comment

Ayo, asked this answerhub question about some issues I ran into trying to make hand animations for VR using control rig. Anyone got any idea about it?

Basically there seems to be a difference in the generated animations compared to what the control rig looks like.

Comment

At time code 53:34 in the livestream Jeremiah shows Additive Control Rig track.
          Can the Additive Control Rig track affect CR Controls? or just Bones?
          What would be a good way to bake motion capture to the Control rig so that we can then use the Additive Control Rig Track to adjust it with keyframing?

Comment

Looking forward to playing around with this system. I ran into an issue after adding a Vector parameter to a Control Rig and exposing it to the AnimBP.

After restarting the editor, I get an error in the class "AnimGraphNode_ControlRig.cpp" at line 112. It seems that FVectors are not handled in this loop, which causes the error. I'd imagine it would be handled by the "GetScriptStruct()" if statement, but this returns a nullptr.

At the moment I'm using three floats to compensate, but is there something I'm missing when exposing vector parameters from the control rig to the AnimBP?
            Last edited by EngineerDveloper; 10-06-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

VictorLerp
              Hi, are you planning to release an updated stream showing the revamped and new nodes in 4.26?

There is a lot of great stuff going on, but the inputs are not that obvious anymore. Example: the Start bone and effector bone nodes are gone in CCDIK now.
              I am sure there is a way to plug the inputs in, but I cannot find much in documentation about it.
              Maybe you could guide me to some good reading?

Cheers,
              Jakub

Comment

Hey @victor1erp, I am not sure if this was intended but it is not possible to create new parameters or variables in the control rig blueprint in the 4.26 preview anymore. It was possible to do so in 4.25. If you right click in the graph "New Parameter" or "New Variable" are not there anymore. Where have they gone?

Comment

Originally posted by BreakMaker View Post
                  Hey @victor1erp, I am not sure if this was intended but it is not possible to create new parameters or variables in the control rig blueprint in the 4.26 preview anymore. It was possible to do so in 4.25. If you right click in the graph "New Parameter" or "New Variable" are not there anymore. Where have they gone?
                  Variable management has been aligned with Blueprints and are now created from the "My Blueprint" panel available from menu: Window -> My Blueprint

Comment

Originally posted by JaBaPL View Post
                    VictorLerp
                    Hi, are you planning to release an updated stream showing the revamped and new nodes in 4.26?

There is a lot of great stuff going on, but the inputs are not that obvious anymore. Example: the Start bone and effector bone nodes are gone in CCDIK now.
                    I am sure there is a way to plug the inputs in, but I cannot find much in documentation about it.
                    Maybe you could guide me to some good reading?

Cheers,
                    Jakub
                    Hey Jakub! Yes we have another livestream planned for the first Thursday in February (2021).

Comment

Thanks VictorLerp , I did not realise you can open "my blueprint" and dock it there, sorry

I played around with the Fullbody solver, and when I want to control the hand effectors (bones hand_l and hand_r) the target is not reached fully. see screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2086nfubl962nt/Screen2020-11-11%2012%2010%2053.jpg?dl=0 It seems as though the influence by the control on the bone transform is not a 100% or as if there were some constraints / stiffness parameters applied. But I double checked the setup. and there are no constraints specified anywhere. Also the position alpha is set to 1.0 throughout. Finally I tried to lower "damping" and "max iterations" to no avail. Any ideas?

It is only ocurring when I want to use controls. If I, say, directly manipulate the pin value ("control pin value") on the position of the effectors, it does reach the target a 100%.
                      Sorry, If I am missing something very obvious.
                      Last edited by BreakMaker; 11-11-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Hi guys, I'd like to explore using Control Rig from a VR editor mode. I'm looking to create a tool to be able to create quick animations by grabbinng the control rig controllers and posing the character in VR and saving various keyframes on a timeline. Then I'll refine the curves outside of VR, or even UE. Does this seem viable to you guys? Anyone has any helpful thoughts, before I start digging into this?

The goal is to use this for linear animation like I'm doing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRnOJfHKOc

Thanks!

Comment

Trying to recreate the Squash and Stretch control rig from the video. When I connect to the Fit Chain on Curve, the displayed curve isn't an S-curve like in the video. It's straight. Trying to follow the video as much as I could and I don't know what's the problem. Using 4.25.4.

Edit: I think it has something to do with the tangents as I can see the curve's tangents in the video but not in my preview. I've tried changing the translation values in the Make Absolute nodes since they feed into B and C, which I think are the positions of the tangent points, but I'm still not getting any kind of S curve.

Are the demo control rigs going to be provided as that would be most helpful? I didn't find them in the sample project.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FitChainOnCurve.png Views:	0 Size:	580.5 KB ID:	1836662
                          Last edited by brisket; 11-27-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X