Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Unreal Spring Jam | Dates: June 4-9 | Theme: What is hidden in snow comes forth in the thaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not expect or hope to get more from the judges. It is really time consummating to play and judge all the games. BUT I do expect much more from the jammer's. If you can spent 5 days making a game, you also have time to spent playing and giving feedback to the jams games. There is still a lot of games with no or nearly no feedback. So WE can do better.

And please do not only play the games that wins or you think will win. In my opinion is there a lot the games, that never will have a change to win, but they are still much more interesting and fun to play, then the games that wins.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
      It's not that we don't want to be more open, but due to the jams having prizes up to several thousands of dollars, there are legal reasons why we can't do certain things.
      Certainly we don't want any of you to break NDAs and such, I also wouldn't expect you to overhaul the whole process; what I meant by openness was more simple:
      - Who is the jury?
      - Based on what do you rate each category? Are all ratings totally subjective for a single person (like how good the art is, how compatible the use of theme is)? Or are games checked by more jury members, or only the winners, or none?
      - What exactly does it mean that pre-made assets result in negative scores, should we make our own sounds with microphones in the forest and our fonts? Or how does the use of pre-made assets actually count in the final score?

I don't feel like any of these should invoke any legal issues and therefore be held secret. Even more, because there are prizes so valuable, it should be much clearer how exactly is the evaluation kept fair. Something we can stick to.

Of course, we know that the purpose of jams is self-improvement (and helping others improve), but I don't see why can't the two things go hand in hand.

Originally posted by JK5000Games View Post
      BUT I do expect much more from the jammer's. If you can spent 5 days making a game, you also have time to spent playing and giving feedback to the jams games. There is still a lot of games with no or nearly no feedback. So WE can do better.
      As you said earlier, an underlying supportive system would help a lot in this. Even if it's as tiny as a forum badge for people who have rated 100+ jam games in total.
      Game Programmer at Zen Studios and founder of Rapax Games
      LinkedIn, Engine Contributions, Marketplace
      Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects

Comment

• VictorLerp commented
        Editing a comment
        The jury members are Epic employees and occasionally guest judges (GameTextures.com participated as judges in the 2019 Epic MegaJam). The judges usually participate in the results livestreams. For the answers to your other questions you can find the details regarding judging in the official rules: https://epicgames.box.com/s/t92qix4t...n885swreqm28v0

Clarification: Pre-made assets does not result in negative scores. They simply don't give you any points - However, composition and customization of the pre-made assets can give you points.

Hi there!
      I've noticed that our game (Let It Melt) wasn't even highlighted on corner videos on the stream.
      I'm wondering if it's even have been noticed by you.
      It's not the first time we participated and didn't get any kind of mention.
      So I'm worried if I've messed up a form.
      Here is the link to itch.io of our game https://itch.io/jam/2020-unreal-spring-jam/rate/665014
      Thanks

Comment

• VictorLerp commented
        Editing a comment
        We've responded to your concerns elsewhere as well, but your video happened to be played during a play through of one of the winners. Something I'd like to change for the next results stream is to always have the game jam video reel played on top of the playthroughs. When we do them from the studio the videos can be seen in the background of the studio camera shot, but due to Covid all of the livestreams are being done from home, and our setup is new and different.

VictorLerp Hey Victor, will there be a summer game jam this year?
      Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Fisher007 View Post
        VictorLerp Hey Victor, will there be a summer game jam this year?
        No Summer jam this year unfortunately, but we're planning to host the Epic MegaJam as usual.

Comment

Working...
        X