No announcement yet.

Blender to Unreal Tools, Part 1 - February 6 - Live from HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

devDoer We're expecting to release the tools this year, but have not announced a date yet. Stay tuned and we'll make sure to let you know!

Comment

Howdy Team Epic
      Could you please keep this post up to date with links to the new videos and plugin (when it is available)?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mrmowgli View Post
        Howdy Team Epic
        Could you please keep this post up to date with links to the new videos and plugin (when it is available)?
        That's the plan!

Comment

Any news on when will this magnificent implementation will be available?

Comment

Any news/update on this? I can't wait

Comment

cant waitttt

Comment

I'm guessing this still hasn't been released since I can't find it in Blender's Addons?

Comment

Could you release a version of a simple feature first?
                  just need to include automatic conversion of Material from Blender to Unreal, which may be the most important feature, it's just too painful not to have it

Comment

Any update on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Fractal HQ View Post
                      Any update on this?
                      Late summer:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...03#post1759003

Comment

Originally posted by scalpel9527 View Post
                        Could you release a version of a simple feature first?
                        just need to include automatic conversion of Material from Blender to Unreal, which may be the most important feature, it's just too painful not to have it
                        We've been working on that over at Gawain Industries. When Kaye mentions that someone in the community is working on material translation, that's us!

Our main focus in 2020 has been Brigge for Meshes, which gets FBX totally out of your pipeline. We've offered it as early access since January, and after months of feedback and fixes it's pretty solid. Check out our release history to see if it fits your needs.

Comment

The addon has been released! You can find it here: Blender To Unreal Addon (you must connect your Epic Games and GitHub accounts and be logged in to GitHub to access).

Comment

I am a bit confused about this toolset. I've been fighting Blender's really crappy FBX exporter for over a year now, always having to do crazy scaling workarounds to have skeletal meshes imported in an usable way, and I was hoping Send to Unreal addon from Epic would finally put an end to this, by including some sort of custom FBX exporter built by Epic themselves. Instead it seems to be just an export preset utilizing Blender's broken FBX exporter.

There's a whole page dedicated to the scene scale workaround https://blender-tools-documentation....cene_scale.mp4

There are numerous issues with this though.

1. While some primitive armatures may survive changing scene units, then rescaling the rig, and the applying the scale, more complex armatures and more importantly any animation that doesn't use armatures but just simple transform animation of parented hierarchy will almost certainly break during this process, requiring to be pretty much remade from scratch.

2. The above means the only reasonable workflow here is to author assets and animation from scratch already starting with 0.01 scene scale.

3. Using Blender at 0.01 unit scale unfortunately open's a big bag of issues since Blender wasn't built in this with mind. Many tools and modifiers which have parameters defined in scene units will have wrong default values, just 1% of what they should be. Sensitivity of some interactive tools will also be out of whack and this will also require users to do some modifications to their scenes, such as setting up viewport clipping attributes to accommodate the new scale. It may also introduce some issues with Blender's built in renderers (Cycles and Eevee).

I am still hoping there will be a way to do this correctly in the future, but right now, asset compatibility between Blender and Unreal remains quite sketchy. :/

EDIT: Just tried using Blender for 10 minutes with 0.01 unit scale and already encountered few dealbreaker issues, such as pivot gizmo being invisibly tiny or pretty much ani value spinner which is set in system units being so incredibly sensitive to click drag that click-dragging is completely useless.

And here's a video of what effect does the suggested rescaling process has on animated hierarchies. It just completely wrecks them:

So unfortunately these tools do not address the two fundamental issues:

1. It's not possible to reasonably author any content from scratch in Blender using 0.01 unit scale as many tools are broken in such unit scale.

2. It's not possible to rescale already authored content to 0.01 unit scale without breaking something unless the animation is driven by armatures. And sometimes even those break.

Wouldn't it make more sense if Epic invested some resources in helping Blender devs with the FBX exporter? The exporter is open source and written in Python, so it should not be that hard to fix :|
                            Last edited by Rawalanche; 07-14-2020, 03:54 PM.
                            https://www.artstation.com/artist/rawalanche

Comment

"Send to Unreal" is released and it's awesome!!!

Getting it all set up takes a bit of this and that, especially if you don't already have a Github account, I made a short tutorial for my friends, and I'll share it here if it's useful for others. Thanks to the team that made this addon happen and I'm excited to see where it goes from here. I haven't really been able to to battle test it, but happy to dig deeper if it's helpful.

https://youtu.be/MYfHZkPICxQ

Comment

What needs to be done is forget about the fbx all together which is a proprietary format and switch to open source projects like USD by Pixar.
                                Last edited by redfox22x; 07-15-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X