No announcement yet.

Inside Unreal - Version Control Fundamentals - January 16 - Live from HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Inside Unreal - Version Control Fundamentals - January 16 - Live from HQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	200116_Announce.jpg Views:	5328 Size:	162.5 KB ID:	1706523

WHAT
    At the core of any successful project lies planning, tools, and execution. To reduce risk and improve collaboration between developers, agile teams often implement Version Control systems to record changes to files over time, allowing them to easily recall specific versions at a later point. On this week's livestream, Arran Langmead will walk us through how to set up Subversion and Perforce and how to use the systems when working with Unreal Engine. Plus, we'll also discuss the hardware and software configurations that might be the best for your team.

WHEN
    Thursday, January 16 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
    Twitch
    Youtube

WHO
    Arran Langmead - Developer Relations Technical Artist - @ArranLangmead
    Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp

RESOURCES
    Slide deck
    SVN documentation
    Perforce documentation
    Tools and Infrastructure for Large Teams | Unreal Dev Days 2019

ARCHIVE
    Last edited by VictorLerp; 01-17-2020, 04:58 PM.

Awesome, I definitely have some Perforce questions I hope Arran can help with!

- Is branching recommended? And if so, how should it be done? I've been trying to sort this one out and have an open forum post here with the steps I've tried, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it correctly.

- If the above is true, can Perforce be configured to force branches, so all commits to master can be reviewed first?

- If branches are used, can multiple commits be "squashed" so they appear on master as a single commit?

Our team is small, and our source control is split up between Git and Azure DevOps for code and task assignment, while Perforce is used for content. We've just started using branches in Git, and I'm struggling to find a way to manage the content side in a similar way.
    Last edited by Nagoshi; 01-07-2020, 07:23 PM.
    Portfolio | WordPress

Comment

--How did you take ownership of that file?? that should be impossible, you should not be able to do that with the credentials I gave you..
      Said the sage, master of the repo.
      | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Going to try and Perforce myself to watch this ( sorry). For sure, its an important area of UE4 + Teams especially.
        But when there's so much else to master in game dev, source control can seem about as interesting as tax filing tbh.
        So anything Epic can do to liven things up and keep the topic light or interesting, a big thanks in advance and kudos!

Comment

Very good Livestream topic !
          If it's possible and relevant, I want to know more about the way for a team to work simultaneously on the same level.

Comment

Once it would be great to do something similar for Git, because it can be used for free with MS Azure by small indie teams (max. 5 users, no project size or quantity limit), and probably it is not an negligible user base. Or I will do it!
            Edge of Chaos RTS
            "Age of Total Heroes" - RTS Pathfinding and Movement System for UE4
            RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

Biggest Questions I have:
              - How can you have a Review workflow for Blueprints
              - When will an efficient Blueprint Merging be possible

We are using Perforce in a Team of around 15 People for about 2 Years now, and made very good experiences with it. Just the two topics above are troubling us.
              Last edited by PrHangs; 01-10-2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I was using git in azure for free,but i was having some problems with my local repo size. So i just rented a vps for $5/month and installed perforce on it. So much better, although i'm also testing plastic SCM and really loving the ability to work distributed/centralized (Although perforce has something like this, called edge servers). Since i mostly work solo, i think i'll move to Plastic Personal since having the ability to work distributed and checkin to my local repo is so much faster than always work in the remote server. I'll just use my vps remote server to replicate my main branch and have a cloud backup just in case (and use it when i work in my laptop).

Comment

Originally posted by PrHangs View Post
                  Biggest Questions I have:
                  - How can you have a Review workflow for Blueprints
                  - When will an efficient Blueprint Merging be possible
                  Epic is researching ASCII files (assets saved as text).
                  May take years to be usable if at all.
                  | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Hi Arran - looking forward to it! Also - as a long time member of the London is Unreal meetup group I've seen you do great shader stuff - they should get you doing some of that stuff too!

Comment

[Question] Will you also cover (completely) free solutions like tortoise or similar?

Comment

Great! I love Subversion and that's what I am planning to use with UE4.

Comment

I'd like to cast one more vote for covering git (at some point), as sivan has already mentioned. I know subversion/perforce is what you guys at epic use, and from the feedback here, it seems to be a solid choice. Nonetheless, there are lots of us using git, so don't forget about us. Also, thanks much for all the awesome stuff you guys do. It is much appreciated. I could not imagine my world without UE4. -Kenneth

Comment

Can you go over c++ projects with perforce. Rolling back always wrecks my projects.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this one. Just got Perforce set up and needed a video that can help the team understand it.

Comment

Working...
                              X