Math for Artists - November 21 - Live from HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Math for Artists - November 21 - Live from HQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	191121_MathForArtists.jpg Views:	6 Size:	185.6 KB ID:	1688959

WHAT
    Join us for an afternoon of math... for artists! Bill Kladis and Wyeth Johnson, senior VFX artists at Epic, and David Hill, our Principal Mathematician, will walk us through examples such as Derivatives, Cross Product, Vector Transforms, Sobel Edge and calculating gradients around distance fields. Feel free to ask your questions prior to the stream here on our forums, and they could be featured on the Q&A portion of the stream.

WHEN
    Thursday, November 21 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
    Twitch
    Youtube

WHO
    Bill Kladis - Senior FX Artist
    Wyeth Johnson - Technical Art Director, VFX - @SirWyeth
    David Hill - Principal Mathematician
    Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp

RESOURCES
    David's Slide Deck

ARCHIVE
    Last edited by VictorLerp; 11-25-2019, 12:35 PM.

Victor, will you talk about fractal creation?

Comment

• VictorLerp commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately not during this stream.

Hi! What is the price? Or it's free?

Comment

Originally posted by gregory255 View Post
      Hi! What is the price? Or it's free?
      The streams are free, and I believe everything shown will just use the base UE4 package which is also free.
      Just head to either the Twitch or Youtube link from the first post once the timer hits zero (2 PM ET, every thursday usually).

Comment

Well, artists also poke at Blueprints that also require math.. Is this stream only going to cover math in materials ?

Comment

Feel free to ask your questions prior to the stream here on our forums, and they could be featured on the Q&A portion of the stream.
          Suggestions:

#1. Any discussion on Quats for Artists might be interesting. After all artists work on 6DOF character / vehicle movement too.

#2. Any discussion on the many uses of Dot Product and Materials would also be interesting. Sample Example:

In UE4, the Fresnel Material Expression node calculates a falloff based on the dot product of the surface normal and the direction to the camera.

Comment

I Often get Dot Product and Cross Product confused/mixed. I know one is an angle and one is a normal but I usually have to look up which is which. Any clever pneumonic or trick to keep them straight?

Comment

One rough math thing that I just never got through in materials... is how to replicate the math that goes into a vertex offset... to feed into a fresnel. Any tips here would be very helpful.

Comment

can you show how to rotate a world normal in shader? or a world position in shader? as to rotate a tri planar projection?
                like spin a worldalignedtexture node by a vector?

Comment

can you show how to spin an object with world position offset?

or maybe go deeper into the math of pivot painter 2 vs pivot painter 1?

Comment

HI my question is how we can shift zero-point (centre) UE4 . for example, if we want to work with a Real Coordinate system like this numbers x 52363706.0m y 5622207.0m z 54.257m its far from the center and its make problem. any way to shift centre to specified coordinate?

Comment

Can you post link to a sample project demonstrated in the stream?
                      HUD links | Crane Balk | Point Clouds Morphing | Rain Drops | Manipulator Robot | Welder Robot | Mini Games | Masked Blur | Voxel Cars

Comment

Originally posted by andy_rst View Post
                        can you post link to a sample project demonstrated in the stream?
                        yes please! D:

Comment

I've shared David's slide deck under "Resources" in the OP, but the projects were for visual reference only, and will unfortunately not be shared. However, similar examples to Wyeth's Niagara particles will be released as part of our Content Examples for Niagara in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
                            but the projects were for visual reference only
                            Bill Kladis said the laser examples would be shared at 30:20 in the video.

https://youtu.be/KrghZBIIsXc?t=18
                            "We'll release this to the public too so you guys can can play around and learn with this if you would like at home"
                            Bill Kladis 30:19

I specifically need this example to see how his laser locations were being updated and /or stored and how they were being drawn

Comment

Working...
                            X