2019 Summer #ue4jam | August 8-13 | Theme: Make it count

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAME JAM] 2019 Summer #ue4jam | August 8-13 | Theme: Make it count

Click image for larger version  Name:	Summer#ue4jam_Promo_SM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	474.0 KB ID:	1646387

Click image for larger version  Name:	Summer#ue4jam_ThemeImage.jpg Views:	1 Size:	300.7 KB ID:	1651296

It's time to work on our full spectrum monitor tan, the 2019 Summer #ue4jam is about to kick off! Stock up on Vitamin D supplements, save yourself from dangerous UV rays and join us for another #ue4jam. We have exciting prizes for the winners, and sweepstakes for everyone who participates!

Finalists

The Count of Schwartzburg
    By Bohrium

Pencil Heart
    By SteppeHareStudio

Solar
    By Solar Production

Special Category Winners

Is this real life? - for the best XR game

Shipping Sheep VR
    By SmVynt

Army of One- for the best game developed by a solo developer

Wyrmwood
    By Pseudocode

Tiny Award - for the best game that comes in under 100MB

Blackout
    By Nocturnal Arts

This thread is a great place to find team members, talk about the jam or post updates. You can also head over to Discord and visit #game-jams for anything related to the jam. Happy developing, and good luck!

SPECIAL CATEGORIES

Our "Special Categories" are for teams who create amazing games, but have something just a little different. For the 2019 Summer #UE4Jam, our Special Categories are:
    • Is this real life? - for the best XR game.
    • Army of One - for the best game developed by a solo developer.
    • Tiny Award - for the best game that comes in under 100MB.
    Streaming your work on Twitch? Use the Unreal Engine category and let us know so we can follow along!

Are you on Twitter? Show off your work using the #ue4jam hashtag!

Helpful Links for Jamming

Official Sites
    Getting Started Docs
    Reduce Your Package Size
    Top Tips for Game Jams
    Wiki Tutorials
    Wiki Code Tutorials/Snippets
    Training Videos
    Tutorials and Guides
    Blueprint Getting Started Thread
    C++ Getting Started Thread

Youtube
    Unreal Engine's Official Youtube Channel
    Peter L Newton's Youtube Channel
    TeslaDev's Youtube Channel
    Mathew Wadstein's Youtube Channel
    Luos' Youtube Channel

Tutorials and Guides
    Tutorials by Tom Looman
    Blueprint Guides by Romero
    Last edited by VictorLerp; 09-05-2019, 06:49 PM.

I'm not familiar with the acronym. What does XR stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM View Post
      I'm not familiar with the acronym. What does XR stand for?
      It's the combination of AR / VR and other virtual solutions that interact with real life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_reality
      LinkedIn, Engine Contributions
      Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects
      Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams, Control Structures

Comment

Just looking to clarify the G501 gaming mouse doesn't seem to exist, at least I can't find it on google, so I'm assuming it was meant to be a G502 gaming mouse?

Comment

Oooh, a new jam so soon - feels like the WinterJam just ended I'll def try to do something small for this jam!

Comment

what is TBA? Television Broadcasters Association?

Comment

LZDLY To Be Announced
              Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

VictorLerp it might be a stupid question, but is applying for a special category decreases the chance for a team to be a finalist, or the finalists are selected first (without taking any special category nominations into consideration), and only then the special category winners from the remaining submissions?
                LinkedIn, Engine Contributions
                Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects
                Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams, Control Structures

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
                  VictorLerp it might be a stupid question, but is applying for a special category decreases the chance for a team to be a finalist, or the finalists are selected first (without taking any special category nominations into consideration), and only then the special category winners from the remaining submissions?
                  Selecting a special category does not decrease the chances of becoming a finalist!

Comment

Originally posted by Tate Hertel View Post
                    Just looking to clarify the G501 gaming mouse doesn't seem to exist, at least I can't find it on google, so I'm assuming it was meant to be a G502 gaming mouse?
                    Yes you're correct, it's the 502. Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

VictorLerp Are marketplace assets allowed in the jam this time around?
                      I'm hoping to try out some of the great free tools that Epic has been giving out the last few months ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by WalkupAndAway View Post
                        VictorLerp Are marketplace assets allowed in the jam this time around?
                        I'm hoping to try out some of the great free tools that Epic has been giving out the last few months
                        Under the usual jam rules, you can use marketplace assets but will only gain merit toward your score based what you did/made inside the jam timeframe.

Comment

^ ag858 is right

Comment

I do have two questions :

- On the pdf with the rules, I read the following : "Submissions should not feature any trademarks (including logos), except the Unreal Engine logo as described by our Branding Guidelines: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/branding". Does that mean that submissions have to feature the UE logo or does it just means that if they feature one, it has to be the UE one ?

It reads as the former but I think it probably means the latter (I haven't seen any logo (except the default icon of the generated .exe) on previous submissions but I may just have not noticed them).

- When building a submission for PC in a jam, what is the minimal hardware that should be able to run the prototype smoothly ? I guess there is no rule, but what is commonly accepted ? Would GeForce GTX 1650+ (or Radeon RX 570+, like midrange graphics card) be a fine threshold ?

Thanks a lot for your insights and am looking forward to participate in my first jam

Comment

N0rgannon until Victor sees your post & can add or acknowledge -

1st - you answered your own question here -> "if they feature one, it has to be the UE one"
                              - I can add that it has to be an 'Approved One' as in: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/branding
                              (links to approved Logos are on the right side of that page)

as for computer reqs, last I heard Epic had Titans a while back.
                              They had them even before they were released !
                              & I'm pretty sure they've stayed up to date with all the technology available.
                              God only knows what they're running now, lol

and having lower computer reqs means that 'others' can play your game & that's half the fun in a game jam sometimes too. so up to you!
                              Last edited by ayretek; 08-05-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X