No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine Livestream - GDC 2019 Postshow - March 28 - Live from HQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Unreal Engine Livestream - GDC 2019 Postshow - March 28 - Live from HQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	GDC2019SocialMedia_General_6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	454.7 KB ID:	1599265

WHAT
    GDC 2019 is over and we're back at Epic HQ, ready to bring you another Unreal Engine livestream! With the announcement of Epic MegaGrants, our new physics engine Chaos, ray tracing and our new audio mixer, there's a lot to discuss. Aaron McLeran and Juan Canada are joining us to talk about what they've been working on and what the future holds.

We'll be focusing on Q&A, so prepare your questions!

WHEN
    Thursday, March 28 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
    Twitch
    Youtube
    Facebook

WHO
    Aaron McLeran - Lead Audio Programmer - @minuskelvin
    Juan Canada - Sr. Rendering Programmer @jcanadagarcia
    Amanda Bott - Community Manager - @amandambott
    Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp

RELEVANT INFO
    A Hands-on Look at Using Ray Tracing in Games with UE 4.22
    Order from Chaos - Destruction in UE4
    Building Effects with Niagara and Blueprint
    Enhancing Animation with Control Rig
    Learning to Make Games with UE4 and Action RPG
    Epic MegaGrants

COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT

Dreadful Bond
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-dreadful-bond

Passion
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/released-projects/1596562​​​​​​​

King of Retail
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/released-projects/1599442​​​​​​​

ARCHIVE
    Last edited by VictorLerp; 03-29-2019, 01:45 PM.

VictorLerp

Wow! So many great announcements they kind of overshadow the acquisition of SkookumScript etc. But in the stream, any chance you could also cover Epic's plans for new coding options within the engine now that development has ceased on SkookumScript. My wish would be for Blueprints to see expansion into 'text form' (for code auditing etc), rather than yet another scripting language or bundling a pre-existing one. But either way, here's hoping the new shinny is completely built into the engine (as Unrealscript was, and not just yet another external 3rd-Party install requiring separate pay-for IntelliSense too). Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
      VictorLerp

Wow! So many great announcements they kind of overshadow the acquisition of SkookumScript etc. But in the stream, any chance you could also cover Epic's plans for new coding options within the engine now that development has ceased on SkookumScript. My wish would be for Blueprints to see expansion into 'text form' (for code auditing etc), rather than yet another scripting language or bundling a pre-existing one. But either way, here's hoping the new shinny is completely built into the engine (as Unrealscript was, and not just yet another external 3rd-Party install requiring separate pay-for IntelliSense too). Cheers!
      TimSweeneyEpic
      Epic Staff
      168 points·2 months ago
      We’re discussing this a lot internally. We like the idea. We see the introduction of another programming layer as a decision that’s binding on everything we do for a decade or more so we are cautious about quick patchy decisions.

We like the simplicity of C# but we don't like the impedance mismatch between C#'s containers and managed runtime and C++ data structures. This makes it tough to share data between the C# and C++ world. UnrealScript had a much more direct mapping between the two worlds, yet still the burden of mirroring data was significant.

We love the even greater simplicity of Python but see similar issues there and are wary of dynamic typing. Lua is nice too.

We are generally scared of JavaScript.

There is also the possibility of a custom language, as UnrealScript was, that's carefully crafted to interoperate with the engine and solve game focused problems.

We welcome all of your thoughts.
      So as a Gamesparks user I have to say that their system was basically pretty straight forward, through the implementation of the script CloudCode and a NoSQL database. Even though they revamped this with something similar last year, I still use the original approach. There are Events you can call which contain variables which function as a key to access certain PlayerData. The major limitation however is that they do not make use of the UnrealEngine netcode, resulting in a tedious task to map all the UE netcode to CloudCode. This was the major barrier at the time and resulted to put my multiplayer game on hold, and switch to the development to a singleplayer game I always planned to make anyway.

So, hopefully the EPIC cloud storage approach has something similar easily to setup, and with the netcode layer already embedded.

In my opinion you do not have to setup lots of premade server side themes (leaderboard, currencies, achievements etc), because once you have the player data, you could maintain a listing of the top 1000 players for example, sorted by score. Or maybe this is better to have setup, not sure, probably depends on the player amount access rate. Also it should be easily understandable how to store and access nested entries, so that you do not have to pull the entire PlayerData each time, rather setup different db entries for each specification, such as inventoryItems, quests, playerCharacters. playerAchievements.

And any implementation should have working examples setup, to help streamline the process of adopting this new cloud solution.

Also I read that many of the original Gamesparks devs no longer work there..

Looking forward to test the EPIC cloud data layer!
      Last edited by unit23; 03-26-2019, 08:12 PM.
      LEGENDS OF EPICA | CS - SPACE ALPHA

Comment

in the sequencer control rig... will i be able to make an anim adjustment within an anim?... say someone is walking down a path, and their foot goes thru a rock... can i lift the foot over the rock and continue within the same 'walking' anim, or would i have to make a whole new anim and place it at that spot... i know, i'm not quite awake yet (smile)

Comment

Will TimeSynth-style quantization be supported for triggering ModularSynth & GranularSynth notes? Or just wave clip playback?

SINGMETOSLEEP / PARASOMNIA / DARKDRIFT / ETERNAL APEX / PRETTY ABRASIVE MUSIC / TWITTER @ACATALEPT

Comment

• How do I get the case assets in the video demo??

Comment

Yaa i m also confused about it....Getting the case assets in demo is really quite complicated

Comment

I ahve got some easy option for the smae though..U can check it at mybkexperience

Comment

Working...
                X