Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine Livestream - Understanding Culling Methods - January 10th - Live from HQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Unreal Engine Livestream - Understanding Culling Methods - January 10th - Live from HQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	CullingMethods_FB.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	1570048

WHAT
    Learn how to optimize your games by setting up and using the available culling methods available in UE4! In this introductory stream, Tim Hobson will go over the high-level use of these culling methods with some practical demonstration of how visibility and occlusion culling works, this session will primarily focus on View Frustum and Hardware Occlusion Queries. During the stream, Tim will also discuss how you can check the performance of these culling methods in your levels along with some helpful tips and tricks.

WHEN
    Thursday, January 10th @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
    Twitch
    Youtube
    Facebook

WHO
    Tim Hobson - Technical Writer - @timhobsonue4
    Tim Slager - Community Manager - @kalvothe
    Amanda Bott - Community Manager - @amandambott

COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHTS

YAG - Yet Another Gameboard
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ojects/1550429

ArtExpoVR
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ojects/1562463

ZOMBIE RAID
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ogress/1566024

ARCHIVE
    Last edited by Kalvothe; 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM.

Kalvothe

Can we please hear about all the new goodies related to culling methods in 4.21.x too? (Round Robin Occlusions, etc.)

Also would be nice to cover mobile platforms vs PC, culling-wise.

Thanks beforehand

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
      Can we please hear about all the new goodies related to culling methods in 4.21.x too? (Round Robin Occlusions, etc.) Also would be nice to cover mobile platforms vs PC, culling-wise.
      Visibility and Occlusion culling is a pretty big topic that not a lot of people know about or are aware of initially without already having some idea that it exists. The target of this stream is to have an introduction walkthrough of what UE4 offers from a high-level of the different options available and then we'll dive into understanding essentially how culling works with a focus on UE4's default methods that are already enabled: View Frustum and Hardware Occlusion Queries.

Once I get this stream out of the way, I want to come back and do one or possibly two more streams focusing Distance culling and Mobile culling options. I don't foresee any real reason to go into Round Robin Occlusion for VR. It's a runtime toggleable feature and simply alternates between the eyes each frame where the eye used is what is being occlusion checked. There's not anything complex about it, and the one gotcha to understand is that with VR since both eyes aren't being checked, you can get some artifacts, but they are probably negligible compared to the performance savings you'll get.

If I were to go over each in detail, this stream would easily encompass a couple of hours and I'm simply not prepared for that much public interaction in a single day.

Anyways, thanks for always having an interest Motorsep!

Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
      UE4 Documentation
      Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Comment

Is there any talk about future works for UE4 and various methods of triangle culling? Such as backface, per-triangle, cluster.

Comment

Very useful topic, especially looking forward the follow-up more specialized talks!
          [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
          UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.12-beta for UE4.22 - (v1 integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.7)
          UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin (1.4.5 for UE4.22)

Comment

Oh cool, looking forward!
            UE4 Development [TARTARUS | Object Inspection System | Pattern Lock]
            Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Sweet! Got time and looking forward to joining you on the stream!

Comment

Also, Oculus just integrated live streaming from VR to Facebook Live for select applications, and I needed to know if it's possible to Livestream from a UE4 project on Facebook live, so I may walk through the project with friends and colleagues. If someone is aware please link me to documentation.

Comment

I suggested this topic in one of my surveys, don't know if this is because of that or not but thanks anways! <3

Comment

Great stream everyone. Great to get technical deep dives like this.

Comment

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ity-is-working here we are told to keep occlusion culling on with Precomputed Visbility, is this still the case? In the video towards the end he made it sound like we can turn it off when using Precomputed Visibility.

Comment

There is a lot of information on this subject on the Unreal Academy side (video tutorials) in the "Real Time Rendering" class.

It says that the level is "Master" but don't let that scare you off.

Comment

Where is the link for the Live.. i tried in YouTube channel but i could not find the live, maybe 2:00 PM from another country, not sure what time to my country.

Comment

I wonder if it is better to use Level Streaming tan culling methods, because i´m having a lot of problems with the limit of textures, "Texture Streaming Pool".. it overs very fast. I think Hidding thinks with Level Streaming might work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonlin View Post
                              https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ity-is-working here we are told to keep occlusion culling on with Precomputed Visbility, is this still the case? In the video towards the end he made it sound like we can turn it off when using Precomputed Visibility.
                              You are correct! Occlusion Queries MUST be enabled for Precomputed Visibility to run.

I told you there were a lot of options and I didn't revisit and go over Precomputed Visibility as much for this particular stream. I'm making a note of this for next time and I think I'll add this to the doc as a precaution in case someone does disable it and wonders why it doesn't work. Thanks again!
                              Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                              UE4 Documentation
                              Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Comment

Working...
                              X