[Twitch] Landscape Mountains Demo and More - Aug. 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knobbynobbes View Post
    Hey, I asked about this back when you guys did the meet and greet in Portland, but any news on getting non-transparent materials to smoothly fade to invisible (switching over to an identical transparent material doesn't work, since they have the tendency to look like a glowstick when transparency is zero), like what you might see being used for walls in Diablo 3? I was told at the time that it would be looked into, so just wanting to know how looked into it is so far.
    I actually did a diablo-style wall hide here, with uasset - Here
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Some questions/feedback/suggestions.

While the landscape demo is well done and I picked up a few tricks, I was kind of disappointed it did not take advantage of Tiled Landscapes/World Composition. Tweaking a single landscape is easy enough, though the workflow changes when working with tiles. It feels tedious when you need to tweak something when it involves a ton of tiles. You can't move the tiled landscape vertically like you can with a single landscape, etc.

I know Lyons Den has come up with an excellent tutorial/wiki page on World Composition, but I am wondering what your your internal workflow look like when working with Tiles and World Machine settings? Do you have an optimal tile size/settings? Obviously getting sense of scale right is important for VR.

I mentioned a while back: "Something about the entire streaming process feels very off to me, entire terrain tiles loading at once instead of smaller sections, etc. Wouldn't mind more control over landscape LOD distance, so that settings are progressively dialed down based on certain distances set by the user or optimized via system performance dynamically. Not to mention defining "Hero" areas like giant mountains in the vast distance. Right now tiled terrains all share the same setting as a proxy of the first tile imported.

Seems like things should be more automated by distance instead of manually setup, like it would be a much shorter list of things to setup if you started with a more global streaming standard and then setup the special cases.
      "

Perhaps that would be setup via blueprint?

It would be cool if the tiled import settings had a place to simply enter what world machine settings you used, as well as options when reimporting tiles. Right now it seems if you want to change settings you have to start over with the import and delete the previous levels.

On the Roadmap, does the Large World Coordinate system refer to Double Precision Coordinates? Would that solve the limit on physics without World Origin Rebasing and Multiplayer limits(without a custom server solution), etc?
      My ideal is to pull off something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZSGRk0jFic
      Perhaps something as crazy as this later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...EUO7TC28#t=345

Comment

Question for you about landscapes
        I am having trouble understanding landscape materials in UE4. Can you talk about the landscape material used in the demo and perhaps what things we should do to make better landscape materials? Thanks!

Comment

[QUESTION]

Any plans for a UE4 Mid West Dev Tour?

Thanks
          Isaac Nichols
          Game Developer & Music Producer - Threaded Pixel Studios
          Currently working on Drones & Ruins a Sci-Fi twin-stick shooter.

Comment

Workflow/design question.

World Machine is great to post process terrain (erode, make textures etc.), but how do you find using it to create terrain from scratch to create playable map ? Using world machine all the way, or would it be better to create playable area using Landscape tools, and then export it to world machine to create all needed masks, and detail terrain.

I'm personally up for second options, but curious what you think.
            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Offtopic question probably better suited to Lina.

Regarding the Pose Animation feature on the roadmap, could that in theory be used as networked interpolated animation system as sort of a keyframe?
              I'm thinking in the context of a hybrid physics system where you have a character that is both simulated on the server and on the client. For simplicity's sake, consider a ragdoll as an example.

It would be expensive to have the server update every movement of a ragdoll, but to capture poses at certain intervals or based on major collision events and have the client side simulation interpolate those keyframes from the server's simulation might be something that can work.

Comment

Some Questions, even if not directly on topic:

- Now, that Epic UK is a thing, can we expect something like a Europen DEV Tour?
                - Do you have any play on releasing some more in depth VIdeo Tutorials on UE4 Audio Systems? I just looked into that topic yesterday and it doesnt seem to be covered too good.
                - Will there be more indepth C++ tutorials in the future?
                - Blueprints seems to have some neat helper functions (Look At Rotation for example), that seem to be missing in C++. As someone who tends to prorotype in BP first and then reimplementing it in C++, it would be great to have the same functions in C++.
                - In the launcher it says, that UE4 Subscribers will at some point be able to participate in the Fortnite Beta. Does this only work for people who have an active subscription when the beta start, or will everybody who ever was subscribed be able to join?
                - Is there an ETA for Paper2D to be considered finished (version like?). Maybe 4.5. Pretty please. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.
                - Not a Question, but a compliment instead and feel free to read it out loud on stream: I think the way you guys at epic handle your community is unmatched right now. The open dialogue and integration with us, makes us feel like you care about us. You are a blessing for the indie community and I hope other engine developers will follow your example.

Love you all
                July's GameJam Entry: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post341226

Comment

Originally posted by Brainshack View Post
                  - Now, that Epic UK is a thing, can we expect something like a Europen DEV Tour?
                  + 1 for this ....and then come to Austria (I will organise a "Schnitzel" buffet)
                  Last edited by fighter5347; 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                    would it be better to create playable area using Landscape tools, and then export it to world machine to create all needed masks, and detail terrain.
                    I also would like to work on my level in this manner, however I cannot seem to find a way to export out the heightmap created in the editor, have you had any luck with this Inside? I have looked through the tools and couldn't find a way to do this if you start the terrain creation in the editor...

So Epic, my question: Is there a way to export a heightmap created in the UE4 landscape editor so it can be modified in a separate program?

I completely agree here though, this would be the best option.
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Question: What are your long term plans for the UE4 terrain system?

Comment

Another Question for You
                        Is there any more information that you can share with us today about the large, open world map support?

Comment

Question for marketplace.
                          What's the best way to prepare assets for future engine updates?
                          EXAMPLE: For audio sound effects, Should they be packaged with different audio formats just in case a file type won't be useable in a future update.
                          Game on!

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                            I also would like to work on my level in this manner, however I cannot seem to find a way to export out the heightmap created in the editor, have you had any luck with this Inside? I have looked through the tools and couldn't find a way to do this if you start the terrain creation in the editor...

So Epic, my question: Is there a way to export a heightmap created in the UE4 landscape editor so it can be modified in a separate program?
                            If you're not working with Tiles, the answer is Yes! See this Wiki page: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Landsc...ct_integration

Comment

How come you guys didn't talk about EGX at all today ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                                How come you guys didn't talk about EGX at all today ?
                                Would be good to know when we receive an e-mail with either a yes or a no (havent got one)

Comment

Working...
                                X