X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Twitch] Landscape Mountains Demo and More - Aug. 21, 2014

Twitch: Unreal Engine Landscape Mountains Demo - Live from Epic HQ
    WHAT
    An overview of the Landscape Mountains content example, Marketplace submission updates, Gamescom recap, PAX plans, and EGX indie submissions.

WHEN
    Thursday, August 21st @ 2PM EST - [Countdown]

WHERE
    www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
    Dana Cowley, Sr. Marketing Manager
    Chance Ivey, Community Manager
    Ryan Brucks, Sr. Technical Artist
    Ray Davis, General Manager

Feel free to drop any related questions into this thread! Also, check out the Landscape Valley blog on UnrealEngine.com

See y'all Thursday.

UPDATE: Youtube Video Is Now Up!
    Last edited by Ivey; 10-13-2014, 05:14 PM.
    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Just a heads up that the countdown timer is currently set to 2am not 2pm
    Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Hey Benjamin.smith,

Thanks for pointing that out. We are getting it fixed shortly.

Comment

What, you all don't want to hang out with us that early?

Fixed
        Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
          What, you all don't want to hang out with us that early?

Fixed
          Personally yes, but we aren't all in Australia

For those that are interested, the timezone here is UTC+10 and the Twitch stream roughly runs between 4am to 5am on a Friday morning.
          Regards,
          Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
          Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

What's the time frame for plugin submission for the Marketplace?
            TOUR of DUTY

Comment

Hi!
              I asked this question before, but I figured I'll sneak it in again.

[Q] Last Thursday someone mentioned the character movement components replication abilities, and how there had been talk of migrating that sophisticated predictive replication scheme out of character, so it could be used for pawns that do not use character movement component.

Is anyone considering this? Would it be a big job? Or are there other built in pawn replication schemes in the works?

Also, [Q] I was wondering about the improvements to blueprint networking mentioned on the trello roadmap. Things like spawn point selection via blueprints would be great.

Thanks! Looking forward to tomorrow's stream.

Comment

[Question]

Ray Davis mentioned on a twitch a month or so ago that it was much more difficult to add a "hitch/hit delay" (when the game pauses for half a sec as the player hits an enemy in 3rd person melee games Like Dragons Dogma) .... Any advice on how you solved it?

I've tried changing the anim play rates and global time dilation...neither worked reliably...

Streams: www.Twitch.tv/BlinkTheory
                Patreon: www.Patreon.com/BlinkTheory

Comment

Originally posted by Zurael View Post
                  Last Thursday someone mentioned the character movement components replication abilities, and how there had been talk of migrating that sophisticated predictive replication scheme out of character, so it could be used for pawns that do not use character movement component. Is anyone considering this? Would it be a big job? Or are there other built in pawn replication schemes in the works?
                  I'll answer here because we may not have the right folks online tomorrow to discuss this one. We are absolutely looking at how to abstract this out, and I've been talking with the gameplay framework team about how to do it. Luckily it was already in the crosshairs as something those guys wanted to tackle. We'll find a way to get it on the roadmap hopefully soon. In the meantime an easy workaround is to go ahead and use Characters even if you're not really dealing with a typical biped type of pawn. You'll be surprised how adaptable it is to any type of game. There is no reason that an aircraft or sprite couldn't actually use these character features for now, even though it feels like a "heavy hammer".

We'll try to take the conversation out to the forums as it progresses so that you guys can partake.

--Mike

Comment

Thanks for the fast answer Mike!

Perhaps I should look more into character then, I believe I was under the mistaken impression it was only suitable for walking pawns.

My current pawn is all set up from a heavily modified flying template, but I think I'll try to duplicate its functionality with a character class.

Still looking forward to any future work you guys do at expanding this feature. Thanks again

Comment

[Question] Is there anything planned for the gamescom next year? -> e.g a booth in the visitors hall or probably something like in the EGX London?

Comment

[QUESTION] Any update on the "Cook On The Side" feature for rapid mobile deployment Josh Adams mentioned in this post? ( https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ping-on-mobile )
                        | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Comment

Since the Twitch theme is about landscape (seems), could you guys take in consideration this request?:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...n-Waypoints!!!

And to be on "landscape", landscape modeling tools are super nice, but missing just a few features to be total:
                          1. ability to extract splat maps directly in specific layer for material
                          2. erosion's filters need more love, not really what I've expected.

We have to use external tools just for that

Thanks for reading!
                          Last edited by TDoro; 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM. Reason: updated

Comment

please epic provide an clean workflow to deploy dedicated servers or at least document the current way

Comment

Hey, I asked about this back when you guys did the meet and greet in Portland, but any news on getting non-transparent materials to smoothly fade to invisible (switching over to an identical transparent material doesn't work, since they have the tendency to look like a glowstick when transparency is zero), like what you might see being used for walls in Diablo 3? I was told at the time that it would be looked into, so just wanting to know how looked into it is so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X