[Twitch] Unreal Engine 4.4 Release - Aug. 14, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    Yeah. I've been working in the engine for quite some time, and have a couple of unpublished projects, so im probably not the best test case for the question
    ok chance, you are officially excluded happy?
    Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Originally posted by KRushin View Post
      ok chance, you are officially excluded happy?
      Do I count? I try to squeeze time with the engine at home (between keeping 2 very young kids entertained) for my hobby projects, but I haven't made something I'd be willing to show anyone else yet. For the record, I haven't checked anything into the Epic perforce server since at least 2010. I've written lots of emails though!

Comment

Originally posted by Xces View Post
        We need some new ue4 t-shirts
        Heck yes we do! And we need some new designs, specifically something with plaid for all the programmers out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Davis View Post
          Heck yes we do! And we need some new designs, specifically something with plaid for all the programmers out there!
          +1 for plaid.
          Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Do I count? I try to squeeze time with the engine at home (between keeping 2 very young kids entertained) for my hobby projects, but I haven't made something I'd be willing to show anyone else yet. For the record, I haven't checked anything into the Epic perforce server since at least 2010. I've written lots of emails though!
            Once coder, forever coder!

Oh don't be shy, I'm 100% once you show it, there will lots of people willing to jump a ship and help
            https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Great job with UMG so far !

[Question]
              Its incredibly easy to get menus and HUDs setup and working in UMG, will we see an example workflow for getting some drag-drop functionality going on at some time ?

- MrNexy

Comment

I le take 10 of them please

Comment

Did MattK and NickD's slaving away after last week pay off enough to see 3D UMG in action?

Interested in seeing more of the animation/blending improvements in 4.4

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Fortnite's modular destructible buildings as well if possible.

Also want to give a shout out to DayofWar's Marching Cubes/Smooth Voxel terrain thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...errain-objects

Comment

I asked during the last stream but I'm not sure someone was able to answer.

[Question]
                    Can you detail the recent changes to the Script Plugin and also how you might make your own script integration from within the game source instead of recompiling the engine?

Relevant: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...fc9a5cf57628e4

Also when can I get one of those $#!T JUST GOT UNREAL t-shirts?

Comment

Hey Epic,

Just curious about particle creation at epic games.

What tools (e.g. FumeFX) do you guys use to make particles systems for the Unreal Tech demos?

Comment

QUESTION: Are you planning on attending PAX South. Will there be a way to submit to join UE4 games to join you in booth during the convention?

Comment

QUESTION: How close is Epic to having a MMO like network architecture for us MMO devs to use?

Comment

What's new about Cascade 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
                              QUESTION: How close is Epic to having a MMO like network architecture for us MMO devs to use?
                              I can't speak for Epic but as a person that's done multiplayer, that question doesn't really make sense. An MMO is required to maintain an increble number of different network connections. Better would be to figure out what you want and start building.

Ex. Managing inventory (example crafting) is a relationship directly between the player and the server.

However if you had an animation that would play when crafting you would like to show that animation to the other players that are within range.

UE has a good system for propagating these kind of state information between users.

MMOs have to make pretty extreme decisions due to network requirements. If you can constrain the number of users in a "zone" (even an invisible one) then you could use the Everquest model of having everyone tell the server thier information, then the server processing and communicating that information back out to every user.

That's a User -> Server, Processing then Server -> Every user.

If instead you either don't want zones or limits of the number of users in a close proximity then you might want to have the server serve all information. Most multiplayer shooters instead have the users update each other (makes a more responsive game). This was the planetside model. This can allow for incredible hacking and requires the server constantly sanity check what's going on.

In short Unreal has both systems in place (direct player -> server) and player to player (synced objects) but an MMO requires significant logic on top of the tools they provide. I don't mean to talk down to you if you already knew this but I've found most people discussing creating MMOs don't have a background in network state management.

Comment

Originally posted by Beep2Bleep View Post
                                ...<snip>...
                                In short Unreal has both systems in place (direct player -> server) and player to player (synced objects) but an MMO requires significant logic on top of the tools they provide. I don't mean to talk down to you if you already knew this but I've found most people discussing creating MMOs don't have a background in network state management.
                                To elaborate on this, there are so many different ways to proceed with networking for an mmo, as well as many many things to consider based on a games scope. One of the biggest things I notice that people forget about is how to set up (and knowing the difference) between asynchronous and synchronous communication (which you briefly touched upon in your response). How you have the information split up, what will handle what information and be sent where.. so much to consider.

I do however, think that a base or template could be created and used. And then let each team or company modify that as needed for that games scope. Or a few different templates if you will. They would be just that though, templates without much real functionality, as each game has its own requirements.

The benefit is that those without any server/network experience can see the very basics of how a generalized network for an mmo is set up and can learn and build upon that. It could also give more newcomers to game design/development, especially mmo development, a better idea of how the basics are set up and the work needed from programmers to server and network engineers.

Comment

Working...
                                X