Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Livestream - Blender to UE4 - May 30 - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT

Tom Wright and Mike Erwin are joining the livestream to talk about using Blender to make assets for UE4. Together they will explain the process of importing characters made in Blender into Unreal. Tom will use Rigify to show how to import animations and retarget them to take advantage of Marketplace animations. He'll also demonstrate bringing a Static mesh with proper scale and smoothing into UE4. Mike works as Blender's 3D graphics developer and will be helping answer what is happening behind the scenes when working with Blender. Be sure to ask a lot of questions for the Q&A!

Blendman Download: This includes "Unrigify" and the texture images.

WHEN
    Tuesday, May 30th @ 2:00PM ET [Countdown]

WHERE
    Twitch
    Facebook
    Youtube

WHO
    Tom Wright - Senior Tech Artist - @TomTomAttack
    Mike "Blender Mike" Erwin - 3D Graphics Developer, Blender Foundation - @DangerCobraM
    Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander
    Special Surprise Guest: Kevin Vassey!

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it's not always possible to answer everyone's questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it's rather likely that we don't have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

ARCHIVE:
    Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 06-01-2017, 06:23 PM.

• replied
    Has anyone in this thread ever managed to go the other way around?

What I mean is, instead of focusing so much on importing a new rig from blender into unreal, how about we just focus on making the unreal skeleton work in blender as is (without bone orientation changes?).
    Meaning, can't we do the same thing that Skeleton Re-targeting does backwards inside Blender via Python?

The only challenge I see is figuring out how to apply the orientation change of one rig to another....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by psynex View Post
    has anyone had this issue when opening the rig and how can you fix the object mode pose to match the armature and in edit mode it's fine. Just downloaded file and looks like this on open.
    Make sure you Python stuff is running... User Prefs -File -Auto Run Python Scripts... Save User Settings and restart Blender.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    has anyone had this issue when opening the rig and how can you fix the object mode pose to match the armature and in edit mode it's fine. Just downloaded file and looks like this on open.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    oh.. sorry, wow usually pay more attention.

I've done this before & usually doesn't hurt the animation & I actually didn't notice any adverse effect.
    ( there may be some certain 'use' case where there's an issue but I haven't seen one yet, that you couldn't adjust settings etc. to come up with decent results)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ayretek View Post
    Unreal Engine is supposed to remove the extra bone now. so make sure you are using the version of Blender & UE4 mentioned in the stream!
    I meant the extra spine bone, not the armature root bone.
    Last edited by muchcharles; 09-06-2017, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unreal Engine is supposed to remove the extra bone now. so make sure you are using the version of Blender & UE4 mentioned in the stream!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mzprox View Post

unless we are talking about very small differences I couldn't find any between the default mannequin and blenderman using either a mixamo or starter content animations.I mapped spine 2 to both spine 2 and 3. all ik bones were set to none. in retargeting options all bones were set to 'skeleton' except pelvis which was 'animation scaled' and root which was 'animation' wtih these settings it should work.
    What actually happens when you map one bone to two bones like that, do both bone rotations get additively applied in succession to a single bone when you retarget an animation?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    unless we are talking about very small differences I couldn't find any between the default mannequin and blenderman using either a mixamo or starter content animations.I mapped spine 2 to both spine 2 and 3. all ik bones were set to none. in retargeting options all bones were set to 'skeleton' except pelvis which was 'animation scaled' and root which was 'animation' wtih these settings it should work.
    Thanks! The only difference from that is that I simply didn't map spine3. I'll try that when I'm next at my personal computer.

Update: mzprox - targeting spine2 to both spine2 and spine3 was the solution. Not sure there's any way to automate that, though, since I can't assign the same name to two bones in Blender, but I can deal with manually selecting one bone.
    Last edited by Kneebiter; 06-24-2017, 12:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kneebiter View Post
    The retargeted animations aren't quite the same as the original. Hard to describe exactly what went wrong, but the retargeted animations look like someone not fully in control of their muscles.

I'm curious which bones didn't map correctly? That could explain the problem. The only bones I noticed not mapping was spine3, plus the custom and IK bones. There simply wasn't enough bones in the rigify deform spin to have a hip, pelvis, three spines, and a neck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Kneebiter, the file you made seems to be working fine, except ue still cant identify all the bones correctly. other than that the retargeting works fine if everything set up corretly. What problem did you find?
    The retargeted animations aren't quite the same as the original. Hard to describe exactly what went wrong, but the retargeted animations look like someone not fully in control of their muscles.

I'm curious which bones didn't map correctly? That could explain the problem. The only bones I noticed not mapping was spine3, plus the custom and IK bones. There simply wasn't enough bones in the rigify deform spin to have a hip, pelvis, three spines, and a neck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kneebiter View Post
    Has anybody had much luck with the retargeting from the Epic skeleton to the Unrigify? There's something really odd about the retargeting. When I retarget to Lui's version, it works perfectly. When I retarget to a UE4 skeleton exported to Blender and then re-imported with a new skeleton, it retargets perfectly. But this guy, not so much.

I modified the stream asset, if anybody's interested. My version makes the following changes:

- Creates a duplicate asset on a separate layer with bone names matching Unreal's expected names so that you don't have to manually map bones
    - Sets default name to "Armature", which causes 4.16 to remove the extra root bone
    - Sets correct scale in the Blender document and removes the scale change from the script

It's essentially the same as the original Unrigify, I just tweaked it to avoid manual work. That being said, I'm probably going back to Lui tools, as I can't get the retargeting to work quite right on this rig for some reason. It would be nice to have a generic Rigify to Unreal solution, but there still seems to be a missing link in that chain.
    Hi Kneebiter, the file you made seems to be working fine, except ue still cant identify all the bones correctly. other than that the retargeting works fine if everything set up corretly. What problem did you find?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you Kneebiter. It worked !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Has anybody had much luck with the retargeting from the Epic skeleton to the Unrigify? There's something really odd about the retargeting. When I retarget to Lui's version, it works perfectly. When I retarget to a UE4 skeleton exported to Blender and then re-imported with a new skeleton, it retargets perfectly. But this guy, not so much.

I modified the stream asset, if anybody's interested. My version makes the following changes:

- Creates a duplicate asset on a separate layer with bone names matching Unreal's expected names so that you don't have to manually map bones
    - Sets default name to "Armature", which causes 4.16 to remove the extra root bone
    - Sets correct scale in the Blender document and removes the scale change from the script

It's essentially the same as the original Unrigify, I just tweaked it to avoid manual work. That being said, I'm probably going back to Lui tools, as I can't get the retargeting to work quite right on this rig for some reason. It would be nice to have a generic Rigify to Unreal solution, but there still seems to be a missing link in that chain.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Simon Nguyen View Post
    i have a problem importing the Blendman.fbx file to Unreal (4.14.3). When i run the script in Blender (2.78c) and import Blendman it will not work, but if i didnĀ“t run the script it works, but without the Rig ....
    I attached some screenshots for better understanding whats the problem. When i open the .blend - file Mr. Blendman looks way to short. Anybody have similar issues and know what to do ?

You see the little button at the top of the screen? The one that says "Reload Trusted"? You must be loading the file from an untrusted directory, so it won't run the Python scripts needed for Rigify to work properly. It's a security feature to prevent somebody from doing bad things to you through a Blender file.

Hit that button and it will work fine. You can go into preferences to add directories that Blender will run scripts from.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X