Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training Livestream - Getting Started with Character Morph Targets - May 9 - Live from Epic HQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Livestream - Getting Started with Character Morph Targets - May 9 - Live from Epic HQ

WHAT

Ed Burgess joins us to talk about how to get started with morph targets using a character's head. Ed explores how to bring a face to life in a few steps. He'll explain how to export, import and control the mesh using UE4 and 3ds Max. If you are interested in building a custom character creator for your game or how to drive facial animations with UE4, then make sure to tune in!

Ed has provided an example project to go with this stream. Go to the DOWNLOAD PAGE here

WHEN
    Tuesday, May 9th @ 2:00PM ET [Countdown]

WHERE
    Twitch
    Facebook
    Youtube

WHO
    Ed Burgess - Engine Support Technician
    Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it's not always possible to answer everyone's questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it's rather likely that we don't have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Archive:

Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 05-19-2017, 04:47 PM.

• replied
    its weird that you show preview of a girl and the project has male 3d model

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Glad I found this thread

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by yjkwon View Post
    Hi all, I think the download link for the example project is broken. Is there any other link available?
    I think only the project file is corrupted, cut/paste/rename any other one to the project Folder and you will be OK.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kiwikah Inc View Post
    [QUESTION] :: Anyway you can describe a pipeline on how to capture facial animation - use it in the sequencer - with the intention of getting it into Adobe Premiere. Our team's goal is to use UE4 with the intention of using it for a short animated fiilm. Any recommended way to go about this - without having to use Maya or anything else - would be helpful.

Furthermore : Would we be able to "record" Morph targets - i.e "Character A raises eyebrows" in UE4 - then use it as a precanned animation that can be activated in Sequencer... if I imported a facial model - Could I "ragdoll puppet it" in UE4 - capture the animation - and then use the way other animations work in the sequencer editor
    I did make a very first version of this work... if interested i can try to package this and send it. I intend to rework this, so I can make a re-target/blend between the morphs available, but I am learning BP as I go along. ;-)

In general I would look into how one could do this generally... between different characters, say it should be possible re-target to the morphs for the current mesh BP to some for MB-Lab (Blender) characters. For that to work you would want to "cut out a bust of you character (in Blender or UR4) and then view the results in a Morph match system...

One feature that would be nice is a blend between say mouth-morphs, MB-Lab come with a standard set of face-poses. Blending from one to the other should show how the various targets has counter productive results. Thus one should be able to register hiracy of related morphs... a hiracy/grouping with internal resistances.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Kiwikah Inc - you could totally save the X/Y axis points( +time? ) while you animate - and then rerun that! I would be carefull how though, you could easy end up with a huge set of data. (Does the original BP check time since last tick.)

One part of thus would be to make a fuction out of the Y/X interpetation, and taking only Y/X as input... then you could even varry the playback time. An other option would be to expand the widget to allow you to select from all availabel morphTargets ... and playbacks. So you would have a morph blendspace!

you could probalby also have several heads, to compare your recordings.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In this you mention documentation for something called dynamic textures, for making random wrinkles etc. - I cannot find this documentation - where do I look?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post

WHAT

Ed Burgess joins us to talk about how to get started with morph targets using a character's head. Ed explores how to bring a face to life in a few steps. He'll explain how to export, import and control the mesh using UE4 and 3ds Max. If you are interested in building a custom character creator for your game or how to drive facial animations with UE4, then make sure to tune in!

Ed has provided an example project to go with this stream. Go to the DOWNLOAD PAGE here

WHEN
    Tuesday, May 9th @ 2:00PM ET [Countdown]

WHERE
    Twitch
    Morpheus TV
    Facebook
    Youtube

WHO
    Ed Burgess - Engine Support Technician
    Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it's not always possible to answer everyone's questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it's rather likely that we don't have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Archive:

Hello,
    I have some question regarding this.
    Can we dl the project before the live?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all, I think the download link for the example project is broken. Is there any other link available?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?145339
    It's right here! It was hiding!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Alex, Wondering the status of the project!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey everyone, just an update. The archive is up and Ed is working on getting a version of his project out so you can deconstruct it. I'll update the thread again when that is available.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Adeptus View Post
    [MENTION=26573]mlindborg[/MENTION]

You have 4 targets: Smile left, smile right, frown left, frown right
    and a control with 2 axes: x and y
    x=0 and y=1 means control up, so both smiles turn on, if x is -1 or 1 then only one of the two smiles turns on. This is done with a simple multiplication on a clamped output of the x axis.
    Same deal for y-1, just with the frowns. Now you control 2 morph targets for each side.

Thats one way of doing it.
    Yeah I was more wondering about the interface. I don't know much about UMG and I can't figure out how to make the selection surface.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=26573]mlindborg[/MENTION]

You have 4 targets: Smile left, smile right, frown left, frown right
    and a control with 2 axes: x and y
    x=0 and y=1 means control up, so both smiles turn on, if x is -1 or 1 then only one of the two smiles turns on. This is done with a simple multiplication on a clamped output of the x axis.
    Same deal for y-1, just with the frowns. Now you control 2 morph targets for each side.

Thats one way of doing it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cloganart View Post
    Was watching the stream and wondering if you could explain the 2 axis, radial control you've made in UMG to control 4 morph targets at the same time and blend together. You were using it for Mouth Movement control.
    Also wondering about this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X