No announcement yet.

Training Stream - Alan Willard Power Hour - Dec 13th - Live From Epic HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LIVESTREAM] Training Stream - Alan Willard Power Hour - Dec 13th - Live From Epic HQ

WHAT
    Alan Willard is taking over the stream to drop knowledge and provide guidance from the perspective of a tech artist. Stay tuned for more details and make sure to watch live so you can ask your questions directly to Alan.

WHEN
    Tuesday, December 13th @ 2:00PM ET [Countdown]

WHERE
    http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
    Alan Willard - Sr. Dev Relations Tech Artist

Archive:

Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 12-29-2016, 05:16 PM.
    Ian Shadden
    Technical Writer | Documentation

Very interesting!

Hopefully you'll go over expense of each trace (maybe even show us with profilers), and then go over best practices of use, and if there should be a hard limit to their use and if so, what other options are there available to us!
    Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Wishlist Neko Ghost, Jump! a 2D/3D Puzzle-Platformer : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ko_Ghost_Jump/

Comment

Thanks for offering this.... If time allows can you please cover:

#1. Tracing based on where the Player Camera is actually looking (equivalent of LOS Triggers in UDK).

#2. Trace limitations for fast moving objects moving in front of player controlled ship that's also moving.

#3. Multiplayer... Any special considerations i.e. Replication / Multiplayer Origin-Rebasing catches etc.

Comment

What is already said + Traces ByChannel vs ForObjects <3
        https://twitter.com/Ninjin42

Comment

That's great! I'm definitely tuning in to this stream. Would it be possible to cover the use of ray-casting for determining the degree of obstruction of audio sources?

Comment

and then go over best practices of use
            Especially when it comes to which shape may best suit a specific task (e.g. why use a cylinder when a box would work). This may be specific to what you're trying to achieve but a rough guide would be nice.

Hopefully you'll go over expense of each trace
            I hope so too since I've seen people claim on other forums/sites that now we have faster CPUs (than say back in UT '99's day) trace expense doesn't matter and to just go nuts with them, which I've never been 100% convinced about (from memory they were putting them all on Tick too).

Comment

Great stuff.. well needed

Comment

I didn't even know box traces existed before this post O_O

Originally posted by Daniel Skipper Games View Post
                Especially when it comes to which shape may best suit a specific task. This may be specific to what you're trying to achieve but a rough guide would be nice.
                This^
                What this guy said.

Comment

[Question] Line ray traces done every tick. How expensive are these?

[Question] How to ray trace to navmesh. Example: You click on a location to teleport AI units there, but only if there's a navmesh.

Comment

Awesome!

Will be watching this, thank you!
                    Founder & Lead Developer @ Far Frontier Studios
                    My Website: https://theindiedev.com

Add me to your LinkedIN Network CLICK HERE!

Comment

My Question: Any interesting ways to use traces with AI characters?

Comment

A thought I have about linetracing would be that when you aim at an enemy character, he can notice that you are aiming at him and strafe to the side (Like in StarWars BattleFront), I know that would be a different topic (regarding AI more than linetracing, but just leaving this here just in case)...

Comment

Question:
                          Updating every tic sometimes is unnecessary depending on what you need, how do you use a less frequent update?

Comment

Question: Can traces detect and return the

1) speed
                            2) color
                            3) shape/silhouette-shape

of objects?

If so, would you be able to provide an example of how to accomplish this in blueprints?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Skipper Games View Post
                              Especially when it comes to which shape may best suit a specific task (e.g. why use a cylinder when a box would work). This may be specific to what you're trying to achieve but a rough guide would be nice.

I hope so too since I've seen people claim on other forums/sites that now we have faster CPUs (than say back in UT '99's day) trace expense doesn't matter and to just go nuts with them, which I've never been 100% convinced about (from memory they were putting them all on Tick too).
                              yes please.
                              Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
                              Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
                              Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
                              Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
                              Digital Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                              X