4.13 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
    Did a distance based tessellation to test the performance improvements (if any), but the landscape appears in chunks as I fly around. (It's not a world composition).

Hey Maximum-Dev,

It looks like you are experiencing a bounds issue. Try extending the Negative and Positive ZBounds for the landscape. The flickering and disappearing of meshes/components are sometimes the cause of World Position Offset pushing the object past its bounds. It looks like you are using WPO in your material. I would also be sure to set the Static Lighting LOD to the default, just for testing purposes.

Let me know if you are still experiencing the issue after trying the suggested changes.

Thanks,
    Andrew Hurley
    Engine Support Technician

Wiki Tutorials Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
      We're not releasing the same asset, but are working on a new one. It's on the way, but not immediately.
      Cheers
      Thanks for the quick reply!
      I assume proper documentation for the new hair and eye shader is also coming?
      ArtStation

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
        I literally cannot open the zip file; I've tried it twice, and File Explorer just hangs.
        I am guessing you are opening the zipped archive directly in Windows Explorer, correct? I have noticed some slowness when doing this, with the window it opens in appearing to hang for a lengthy period of time before finally showing the files. When I open the archive with WinRAR or 7-Zip, it opens almost immediately and using either of those utilities to unzip the archive works for me without any problems. Have you tried using a zip utility to open the archive?

Tim
        Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 09-01-2016, 04:59 PM.
        Engine Support Technician

Comment

So much mobile love
          ProBoon, Old-School FPS, Open Source & Tutorials
          Support Project Boon on Patreon

On Steam Soon, Click Below

Comment

New: UBT on windows will now look for existence of a "UE4CSharp.prog" file next to a C# program project, that would like to be added to the UE4.sln.

What does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
              New: Improved Landscape Tessellation

Hardware tessellation on landscape is now much faster! Landscape will now only render hardware tessellation on the highest level-of-detail (LOD), fading out as the landscape approaches the second LOD. Subsequent LODs will no longer have tessellation enabled. This significantly improves performance of enabling tessellation for displacement or extra detail up close to the camera.

In the visualization above, the highest the LOD (white) is rendered with tessellation enabled, while the other LODs (colors) are rendered without tessellation.
              is this it, or are there more improvements planned?
              this doesn't really help much with the issue of tessellation having a very high base cost (even if tessellation multiplier is 0 and there's effectively zero tessellation going on)

also as someone mentioned, this can be a feature regression. is this optional or forced? otherwise you cannot use tessellation to "re-subdivide" landscapes where LOD is too strong (but only want to subdivide selectively)
              Follow me on Twitter!
              Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
              Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewHurley View Post
                Hey Maximum-Dev,

It looks like you are experiencing a bounds issue. Try extending the Negative and Positive ZBounds for the landscape. The flickering and disappearing of meshes/components are sometimes the cause of World Position Offset pushing the object past its bounds. It looks like you are using WPO in your material. I would also be sure to set the Static Lighting LOD to the default, just for testing purposes.

Let me know if you are still experiencing the issue after trying the suggested changes.

Thanks,
                Hi Andrew,

I did not use WPO. Only using the distance based tessellation setup that I have been using in 4.12 and older versions. Screen below.
                Also I did extend the bounds and set static lod to default but nothing changes.

Generally speaking the highest lod still covers a very massive area, areas far from player that don't need to ge tessellated. So the only way people are able to use tessellation and limit it's range to a few meters from player is through this distance based setup. That I don't know why is not working in 4.13 at the moment.
                I hope this get fixed for the hotfix.
                Artstation
                Join the support channel
                Gumroad Store

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                  I hope this get fixed for the hotfix.
                  Hi Maximum-Dev.

Since this may be an issue that requires further investigation, please create a Bug Report on the UE4 Answerhub. Our staff will follow-up there to determine if there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Thanks
                  Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Hi!

Enabling the "Forward Shading" option in Project Settings... Can we use MSAA for antialiasing?? I mean... any console command or something similar?

Thanks for your work Epic, Unreal is better each release.

Comment

Ouch, typing "custom" in Blueprint no longer brings "Add custom event", it brings "SuggestVelocityProjectile CustomArc". It's killing me xD
                      [Released] Multiplayer Combat Editor
                      A-RPG Sacred Swords
                      Auto-Chess Live Development
                      Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
                        Hi Maximum-Dev.

Since this may be an issue that requires further investigation, please create a Bug Report on the UE4 Answerhub. Our staff will follow-up there to determine if there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Thanks
                        Hi Stephen,

It's done.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ssellatio.html
                        Artstation
                        Join the support channel
                        Gumroad Store

Comment

Enabling the "Forward Shading" option in Project Settings... Can we use MSAA for antialiasing??
                          Not in 4.13

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                            is this it, or are there more improvements planned?
                            this doesn't really help much with the issue of tessellation having a very high base cost (even if tessellation multiplier is 0 and there's effectively zero tessellation going on)

also as someone mentioned, this can be a feature regression. is this optional or forced? otherwise you cannot use tessellation to "re-subdivide" landscapes where LOD is too strong (but only want to subdivide selectively)
                            answering one of my own questions with this: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-35097 - good that it's still there, and really hope this makes it to 4.14

still I'm curious if this new 4.13 "tessellation only for the highest LOD" is optional or force
                            Follow me on Twitter!
                            Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                            Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

I've got few issues with conversion my project from 4.12 to 4.13. Main is that 3D widgets stopped working. I had whole main menu made with 3D widgets

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ng-in-413.html
                              Game frameworks on Unreal Marketplace:

Third Person Shooter Kit - February 2017 Community Pick! - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...on-shooter-kit

Side Scroller Shooter Kit - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...er-shooter-kit

Support Discord channel: https://discord.gg/6rgv5Tj

Comment

Really glad to see draw material to render target feature, and shadow map caching. Disappointed that landscape tessellation issue was left unaddressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X