4.13 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Legend286 View Post
    I think they've been pushed back to 4.14, probably because the preview build version was pretty terrible. I think that it's not really the way forward, what would be an ideal way forward is for the cascaded shadowmapping code to get an update so the cascades don't completely overlap eachother all the time when there's really no reason it should be like that. There should be overlap, but why the hell is it so much in the sense that if you visualise the cascade frustums, they all are nested inside eachother and just move depending on the viewing direction - that's pretty bad yo.

is what we have right now, regardless of the viewing angle the cascades never leave eachother's bounds, the largest bound contains all of the smaller ones completely, and it goes down in that order so the highest quality cascade is nested inside of the one above it, which is a horrible waste of shadowmap space.

Is what we should have.

When I look towards the horizon, you can see how much shadowmap space is effectively being wasted by the current split method.
    indeed!
    also this overlap makes every mesh get rendered in each of the cascades, increasing drawcalls and unneeded depth/polygon rendering/processing!
    this causes a noticeable performance drop in scenes with a lot of foliage
    Last edited by Tim Hobson; 09-01-2016, 01:35 PM. Reason: Removed large images from quote
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
    Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Yaaaas great updates as usual!
      | QuinnVR | Portfolio | Twitter |

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lincoln View Post
        Hi ambershee,

I downloaded the source code zip using the 4.13 release tag on GitHub a couple hours ago (almost exactly), and was able to build it without any problems. What is the issue that you are running into?

Tim
        I literally cannot open the zip file; I've tried it twice, and File Explorer just hangs.

Comment

Huge release, probably even bigger than 4.7 in terms of new major adds.

Probably a daft question but I can't seem to set MSAA on/amount when using the new desktop forward shading. I've tried the r.MSAACompositingSampleCount X command but I can't get seem to get it working?

Comment

Comment bubble bugs NOW FIXED!

In addition to the mind-blowing additions in this release, I just wanted to thank Epic Games for fixing a small but extremely destructive bug that was destroying Blueprint comment bubbles. This now makes it so much easier to take interactive notes while following Unreal Engine tutorials. A huge timesaver! Thanks again.

~Adam

Comment

How exactly do i make the landscape create LODs with the closest being a tessalated one? Added a tessalted Material to a Landscape but it just tessalates to the horizon no down stepping.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea_92 View Post
                thanks you ... !!! support for directx 12 ?
                Experimental support for DX12 has existed for a few releases. It is not fully supported yet, and still under active development.

Originally posted by Amiot
                Nice release but one thing what about contact shadows ?? iv'e seen it in a stream for 4.13 is it in because i dont find it in the release !
                These are also currently Experimental. You can find the option under any light source by searching for "Contact Shadow Length", but they are still under active development.
                Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                  Wow, massive change log. Thanks Epic.

[MENTION=9]Stephen Ellis[/MENTION]

Questions:

1. Does 4.13 have Mobile SDK 1.0.3 with multi-view rendering ? ( https://developer3.oculus.com/downlo...us_Mobile_SDK/ )
                  2. Is instanced stereo rendering available on Gear VR now?
                  3. Does 4.13 have Oculus OSS (Platform SDK) for Gear VR ?
                  4. Can/should we use Open GL ES 3.1 for Gear VR ?

Thanks

Hey Motorsep,

I did a little digging and here is what I came up with.

1. UE4 does have Mobile SDK 1.0.3 but no multi view rendering yet. It is currently being worked on but did not make it into 4.13.
                  2. Being worked on but did not make it into 4.13.
                  3. No.
                  4. Yes & No, due to this feature is still being experimental in 4.13. If you want to try it out you will need to download the source from Github and compile the engine to get access.

Cheers-

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
                    Experimental support for DX12 has existed for a few releases. It is not fully supported yet, and still under active development.

These are also currently Experimental. You can find the option under any light source by searching for "Contact Shadow Length", but they are still under active development.
                    thanks for the reply ...

Comment

Could someone perhaps help me with understanding how the fluid surface blueprint with the blueprint to render target feature works? I'm trying to adapt it for my needs, but if I replace the plane mesh with my own, it doesn't work, even though both are exactly the same, mine is just smaller and has fewer vertices (I use tesselation to add more detail based on distance). Also, how does the propagation of the ripples work? I need more control over how they animate. Could I maybe replace the ripple generator with a texture (a flipbook sprite sheet with a heightmap) so I have more control over the shape and perhaps speed of the ripples?
                      Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/final-frontier
                      Stargate & DHD: https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...5-stargate-dhd

Comment

Did a distance based tessellation to test the performance improvements (if any), but the landscape appears in chunks as I fly around. (It's not a world composition).

Artstation
                        Join the support channel
                        Gumroad Store

Comment

New: A Foliage Type now includes all relevant fields from its Body Instance for editing.
                          I thought that it will allow to access the 'Mesh' and 'Component Class' fields from Foliage Type object in blueprints, but it's not that. Is it C++ only? Or did I misunderstand it?

Comment

Awesome update everyone!

Comment

Will the new hair example Brian showed at Siggraph be released soon?

Last edited by The_Distiller; 09-01-2016, 04:24 PM.
                              ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                                Will the new hair example Brian showed at Siggraph be released soon?
                                We're not releasing the same asset, but are working on a new one. It's on the way, but not immediately.

Cheers
                                Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                                X