Empowering Users Early & Often.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeteX View Post
    The Java IDEs are very good, and being strongly typed, Java allows the IDE to make good guesses about the user's intention. You can't do that to the same extent with C++ (or Javascript, or Lua) because the type information is not there at compile time.
    You are joking right?

Originally posted by PeteX View Post
    Incidentally, it's common to assume that C++ is fast, and languages like Java and C# are much slower. In fact, my tests suggest that they're roughly comparable.
    Google's test suggest something very, very different (, according to them, Java is slower from 3.7 to 12.6 times, which is 370% to 1260% slower):

http://readwrite.com/2011/06/06/cpp-...ance-benchmark

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
      You are joking right?
      I wasn't joking, but clearly what I said was incorrect.

I was trying to say that IDEs tend to give better suggestions, more quickly, for languages like Java and C#. Perhaps this is because generating the suggestions is less work. Having said that, I'm wondering if I'd say the same if I'd spent as much time developing in C++ as I have in the other languages. It's possible that I'm just biased in favour of the familiar. (I learnt programming in the early '90s, so I started out on C and C++, but it's a long time since I've used them extensively.)

Is there anyone here who has experience of both—perhaps doing projects in both Unity and Unreal? If so I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Originally posted by smallB View Post
      Google's test suggest something very, very different (, according to them, Java is slower from 3.7 to 12.6 times, which is 370% to 1260% slower) ...
      Of course this is always very difficult because different benchmarks say different things. The benchmarks I looked at were these: http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian....java&data=u64q . I don't know if it's been changed, but a while ago I found that these benchmarks tended to understate the performance of JIT-compiled languages, because the tests were too short. When I increased the length of the test, the gap narrowed, though didn't disappear altogether in the case of Java, IIRC.

Comment

@Pete, believe me, comparing java to C++ is like comparing bike to airplane. Both of them will get you from A to B but one will get you much faster and much more comfortable. I do not want to take part in yet another "language war", so please give yourself and me a favor. Try to use C++ (modern C++, that is C++11 and onward) for three months. You will never look back. And the speed will blow you away compared to java and C#.
        But there is more to C++ than just raw power and speed. There is a beauty of expressing yourself as no other language allows you to do so. And the freedom. Believe me, you'll never look back.

Best regards

Comment

Hi Epic,

what I love about it:

- THE LOOK! Finally Global illumination, the Materials, it all looks just great! Working for architects this is the first time I see a real time renderer that can actually compete with the common render-engines like vray etc....
          - THE INTERFACE: For a Game-Engine Noob like me it was very easy to get into, having absolutely NO programming skills.
          - THE COMMUNITY: For most questions, there will be a reason, people are helping each other, great.
          - THE PRICING: Finally a up to date Game-Engine that is affordable!

What could be improved:

- IMPORT: More Formats (like Obj. or 3DS etc.) Support or plugins for other 3D Programs like Cinema 4D, Rhino, etc. Especially for UV's and Smoothing groups.
          - MAPPING: Possibility to easily change mapping of materials in Engine (Cubic, Cylindric etc.)
          - MESH: Possibility to make simple changes on importet meshes (moving points, edges, faces etc,)
          - PROJECTS ON SERVERS: Support for migrating objects to a project that is not saved on harddisk, but on a server or an external HD.

thank you very much for this great engine!

Yama

Comment

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for all of the solid feedback! It’s been fantastic to see what folks who have been enjoying, and it's equally as nice to get more info on what everyone feels still needs love and attention. We have a long road to travel, so don't be shy about telling us what you feel isn't where it should be. =)

A person or 2 in this thread has already mentioned it, but don't forget that our UE4 roadmap is available for viewing and voting here: https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap

If you have a chance, please take some time to make sure the improvements/features you are looking to see are getting voted for if they are listed.

Lastly, I know quite a few other folks here at Epic are reading responses, and are as appreciative as I am that you are taking time to talk with us. Please keep the feedback coming! And please keep the WIP and finished project posts coming as well. Seeing the all of the cool stuff people are able to create is a big part of what keeps our batteries charged and helps us push forward.

Thank you all again for being an awesome community!
            Jonathan Taylor - producer @ Epic games
            https://twitter.com/EPICJonT

Comment

Positives
              • The price is great
              • Support (forum, answer hub, email)
              • Interface, congratulations to all, able to turn a great tool, something easy to use, this is a masterful job.
              • Frequent updates
              • Ease of use
              • Almost all items have explanatory tooltips (it is perfect, it is faster to read the tooltip, than keep looking in the documentation.)

Points to be worked
              • Documentation
              • UX, interface and interaction are perfect, plus I add this point, so that the work in this area is kept, the interface is clean and straightforward, this is excellent. Main functions, have large and prominent, easy to find buttons. Very nice. But I think some areas need attention such as:
                • Cascade
                • Matinee

• Both visual consistency, as associated with the shortcut keys in the various editors. Check this post.
              • I think the tooltips, could have a link or some way to be pointed to the documentation (so, who want deeper explanations, be able to find it easily).
              • Some way could be notified when a post is quoted (allows us to know more easily when someone answers a question).
              [Compatibility List] Unreal 4 - Hardware Feedback (Leave your feedback on how the Unreal runs on your computer)

Comment

Originally posted by Weskey View Post
                [
                Points to be worked[LIST][*]Documentation[*]UX, interface and interaction are perfect, plus I add this point, so that the work in this area is kept, the interface is clean and straightforward, this is excellent. Main functions, have large and prominent, easy to find buttons. Very nice. But I think some areas need attention such as:
                • Cascade
                • Matinee
                Hi Weskey,

The documentation is constantly growing and evolving. We know there is still a lot of ground to cover, and we aren't going to be slowing down anytime soon.

As for Cascade and Matinee, it's perfect that you should mention them specifically, because they are on our radar for significant improvements in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers!
                Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                X