Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shader complexity for lit masked materials seems to be significantly higher in 4.13. Never noticed something like that in previous preview releases, so i thought this is worth a mention.

4.13 Preview 2

Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Marketplace Content
    Easy Multi Save
    Mobile Touch Navigation

Comment

Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
      Hey guys, it's me or we are unable to slice the procedural mesh component that we create after the first slice?
      My bad, now i understood how to use it, procedural salami slice gun is on the way

Spoiler
      Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

Does anyone know what video format to use with the media framework on the mac, none of the formats i am trying to use are working??

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hobson View Post
          When you enable Complex as Simple (Per-Poly) Collision, make sure that you've enabled Collision under the specific LOD for the checkbox under the material.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106392[/ATTACH]
          I have a question concerning this screenshot that never occured to me before and is maybe quite silly. So When I import meshes, they are set to BlockAll. And setting the asset to NoCollision with Collision Complexity set to default, this prevents me from having object collsion. So what is this setting in your screenshot for? Also, the tooltip says that it would save memory to deactivate this. Is this true? How much are we talking here? I can see with "Collision" view tag in the static mesh editor enabled, that with the tick set, it shows me the underlying collision primitves it would use. In my case, the mesh itself as the complexity is set to Default which is now the mesh itself. if I did import it without any other options (My objects dont have dedicated collision geometry prepared and I do not generate collision primitives for the objects because I do not need them most of the time). Does this mean that every asset contains 2 times the same data for collision and for the mesh itself?
          Guido Lein
          Technical Artist - LeFx www.lefx.de

Comment

Just noticed that UE-14253 was marked as resolved. Was it included in 4.13 preview 2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by LeFxGuy View Post
              I have a question concerning this screenshot that never occured to me before and is maybe quite silly. So When I import meshes, they are set to BlockAll. And setting the asset to NoCollision with Collision Complexity set to default, this prevents me from having object collsion. So what is this setting in your screenshot for? Also, the tooltip says that it would save memory to deactivate this. Is this true? How much are we talking here? I can see with "Collision" view tag in the static mesh editor enabled, that with the tick set, it shows me the underlying collision primitves it would use. In my case, the mesh itself as the complexity is set to Default which is now the mesh itself. if I did import it without any other options (My objects dont have dedicated collision geometry prepared and I do not generate collision primitives for the objects because I do not need them most of the time). Does this mean that every asset contains 2 times the same data for collision and for the mesh itself?
              This option for "Enable Collison" refers to setting the Collision Complexity for the mesh in the details panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	collisioncomplexity.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1113912

When you set it to Use Complex as Simple Collision this will enable per-poly collision.

The Enable Collision checkbox is enabled automatically for LOD0. If you're not using complex as simple (per-poly) then it can be disabled. The cost of per-poly collision is more expensive since it's more complex than simple convex shapes, boxes, spheres, or capsules.
              I don't have specific numbers but it's a good optimization if you're not using it to disable this where possible.

When you import, if you don't need to generate collision shapes disable it on the Import Options panel by unchecking Auto Generate Collision.
              Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
              UE4 Documentation
              Wiki Troubleshooting Guides: Lighting | Swarm Agent | Destructibles |

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoBits View Post
                I didn't see it mentioned in the preview 2 fixes, but it looks like UE-29885 is finally fixed.

Thanks very much for fixing it!!
                Yes!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the #1 fix I will be upgrading to 4.13 for. I'm surprised they didn't put that one in the change list.

Comment

[MENTION=4894]Tim Hobson[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]Stephen Ellis[/MENTION]
                  Nice work on 4.13 so far! I love the mesh slicing thingy.

I was wondering if there is any chance you guys can confirm/deny if pr #2491 will make it to 4.13?

I really need this one in order to be able to share my custom planar reflection plugin which allows for render target access of the reflections in materials (not to mention you can potentially get better performance versus the build-in planar reflection actor).
                  It's a fairly small code change that doesn't affect anything in a negative way since it's an optional bool (disabled by default).
                  It was submitted around the 4.12 release but got no word since then.. it will be really unfortunate if this gets delayed to 4.14 even though 4.13 final isn't out

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                  WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                  WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Originally posted by TK-Master View Post
                    [MENTION=4894]Tim Hobson[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]Stephen Ellis[/MENTION]
                    Nice work on 4.13 so far! I love the mesh slicing thingy.

I was wondering if there is any chance you guys can confirm/deny if pr #2491 will make it to 4.13?

I really need this one in order to be able to share my custom planar reflection plugin which allows for render target access of the reflections in materials (not to mention you can potentially get better performance versus the build-in planar reflection actor).
                    It's a fairly small code change that doesn't affect anything in a negative way since it's an optional bool (disabled by default).
                    It was submitted around the 4.12 release but got no word since then.. it will be really unfortunate if this gets delayed to 4.14 even though 4.13 final isn't out
                    Doesn't look this has been integrated that I can tell. The ticket is still marked as "To Do" and I don't see these specific changes in our latest internal build either. Pull request generally take some time before they are reviewed and considered for integration. Seeing this ticket for this pull request was entered in mid-June it may still be a little bit.
                    UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by HEGI View Post
                      Shader complexity for lit masked materials seems to be significantly higher in 4.13...
                      I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks on me but even the sky/ground look more expensive - would be good to find out officially if there are any new project settings or lit/common shader changes that might add instructions to all materials (didn't spot any on a quick glance through the changelist).
                      Dev Blog
                      Twitter: @TheRealSpoonDog
                      150 FREE Blueprint functions for your project

Comment

It looks like 4.13 will be the best release for mobile
                        Realtime Database Firebase | Ultimate Mobile Kit Firebase | Extended Facebook | Universal Mobile Ads | Google Analytics

Comment

Originally posted by HEGI View Post
                          Shader complexity for lit masked materials seems to be significantly higher in 4.13. Never noticed something like that in previous preview releases, so i thought this is worth a mention.

4.13 Preview 2

Thanks for the report! I've submitted a ticket for this to be investigated. You can track it here on our public issues page if you'd like: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-34873
                          UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
                            SOOOOO pleased to see this checkin today, can't wait for preview 3 - hoping its in there, if it is I might just throw caution to the wind and move my project to 4.13 now. (after a backup of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Anadin View Post
                              SOOOOO pleased to see this checkin today, can't wait for preview 3 - hoping its in there, if it is I might just throw caution to the wind and move my project to 4.13 now. (after a backup of course)
                              The Mac Cursor issue is already fixed in preview 2! I just verified it myself! It is GLORIOUS!!!

Don't use previews for production projects, though, seriously. I have been bitten hard by updating projects too soon. I always wait for at least 4.x.2 before attempting an upgrade for production projects. Saves a lot of pain and anguish.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hobson View Post
                                Thanks for the report! I've submitted a ticket for this to be investigated. You can track it here on our public issues page if you'd like: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-34873

Thanks, that is great to hear.
                                Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Marketplace Content
                                Easy Multi Save
                                Mobile Touch Navigation

Comment

Working...
                                X