Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4 “Zen Garden” using Metal API for iOS 8 revealed at WWDC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Tim and the Zen Garden is at 1:39:56

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
      We'll release the Metal code in GitHub as soon as the Apple code NDA's are lifted, and it will subsequently be available through the launcher in the next UE4 release to follow. We are guessing the GitHub release will coincide with the public release of iOS 8, and we'll let everyone know if there is an opportunity to release it earlier.

      We're really excited about the things Metal makes possible as a result of its 10x increase in the CPU efficiency of rendering. It really blurs the line between what's possible on high-end computers and iPhone/iPad!
      Tim, i loved the demo you gave for Metal, it was very interesting and inspiring to see just what you guys have accomplished in such a short time with UE4 overall.

      Are there any major reason for licensed iOS developers not being able to get a pre-public build with Metal? Is it because you cannot validate who is a developer without breaking the current SDK NDA?

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by GMM View Post
        Tim, i loved the demo you gave for Metal, it was very interesting and inspiring to see just what you guys have accomplished in such a short time with UE4 overall.

        Are there any major reason for licensed iOS developers not being able to get a pre-public build with Metal? Is it because you cannot validate who is a developer without breaking the current SDK NDA?
        I think the only way it is possible is releasing through developer.apple.com website.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Shomit View Post
          I think the only way it is possible is releasing through developer.apple.com website.
          I don't neccesarily think they would be forced to release it through the developer.apple.com site, but they would need some way of addressing the NDA license issue. It's a bit weird Apple hasn't made some kind of API that can validate iOS licensees in situations like these so third parties like Epic can push out these new features without breaking the NDA between Apple and the developer.


          Seeing how Metal is only an A7 (and logically upwards) feature, do we know how a deployed Metal supported program binary on the App store will behave if installed on a normal OpenGL only device like the A6 devices? Will it refuse to run, fall back to OpenGL or how will this process be handled?

          Comment


            #20
            Just simply amazing. Your demo floored me. I was chatting with my dev partner today and we realized that we are now just limited to what we can design, not the hardware. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

            So, can...can we uh, see that demo as a sample project sometime? Or does it have some NDA related to Apple in it?

            Comment


              #21
              Here's a Youtube mirror (with annoying commentary). The link takes you directly to when Tim walks up on stage.

              http://youtu.be/EKHHAPuTNG8?t=1h53m52s

              Edit*
              Polygon has it has well.
              http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/2/5773...os-gaming-wwdc
              Last edited by Denny; 06-03-2014, 04:39 AM.
              Programmer, Rigger, Animator - Demo Reel 2015 - My RnD / WIP thread - www.dennylindberg.com
              Worked on: Kitten'd - Guardians of Valor (Android, iOS)

              Comment


                #22
                I want to see this Demo so badly, isn't there perhaps a YouTube Link? I do not want to install QuickTime

                Comment


                  #23
                  Great demo.
                  all architects want to design interactive projects with UE4.
                  Please make a version that automatically creates a bidirectional link with 3ds Max and build a content library with dynamic trees, grass, rocks, stones, walking people, vehicles, water shaders and....butterflies.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Wait... that looks awesome! But it looks like he forgot his text after the demo, hehe

                    Originally posted by gabrielefx View Post
                    Please make a version that automatically creates a bidirectional link with 3ds Max and build a content library with dynamic trees, grass, rocks, stones, walking people, vehicles, water shaders and....butterflies.
                    While you're at it, don't forget to add the "create game" button!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Just amazing loved watching every bit of it! Great work guys!
                      Add my Skype
                      Developers and Newbies Chat Group
                      I build games for a living, But most of all I build them for my passion

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Awesome stuff!
                        Now I'm curious, will Metal give enough punch to get any real time shadows running on iOS devices?
                        I guess this will increase the performance in general on iOS systems too?
                        Keep up the good work, I love your engine!

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by GMM View Post
                          Are there any major reason for licensed iOS developers not being able to get a pre-public build with Metal? Is it because you cannot validate who is a developer without breaking the current SDK NDA?
                          We are only allowed to provide folks with existing Beta SDK access with the integration code and we neither have a way to determine that, nor a good way to provide only those folks with it if we had an automated way.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Just saw the video and it looks incredible, I just love this man, Tim Sweeney for allowing us to be part of this. Great job as always Epic.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Amazing work! I especially like the butterflies

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Daniel Vogel View Post
                                We are only allowed to provide folks with existing Beta SDK access with the integration code and we neither have a way to determine that, nor a good way to provide only those folks with it if we had an automated way.
                                Oh well, guess we will have to wait to sometime september.

                                Thanks for the answer Daniel and keep fighting the good fight for incredible tools!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X