Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to be a pest, but any news on GLES 3.x (and deployment with ASTC to Android when using GLES 3.x) in 4.11 binary release ?

Comment

Found a sneaky Slate-related gotcha that appeared in 4.11.
      SDockTab.Label and SHeaderRow.DefaultLabel (and possibly others I haven't run into yet?) no longer accept TEXT("something") as parameter (this results in the cryptic "FText::FText cannot access private member declared in class 'FText'" in Attribute.h), but will only accept LOCTEXT("namespaceidentifier","something")
      Creator of

and also

Comment

Is it possible (easy) to do a dx12 build on 4.11?
        Or is the output build automatically detecting which version to run the shipped game in?

Comment

Should the baseColor texture for hair have shadows baked into it or am I supposed to use a self shadow map?

Example, hair strands layer on top of each other and those strands cast a shadow upon the other strands. Should I leave that shadow out or bake it into the albedo/base color texture?

Comment

New hair model works with Masked rendering so shadows should also work. Dynamic inset shadow will help with resolution related problems. Also you never should bake shadows to albedo map because it will not darken specular at all. But instead you should use Cavity map which is grayscale texture. Then you multiply albedo and specular value(usually 0.5) with this. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...sed/index.html

Comment

Did all devs test bug UE-25821 on other phones with 1GB RAM yet? Samsung stock ROM use about 700MB RAM so there is only 300MB RAM, and maybe the app use too much RAM so it get killed by Low Memory Killer.
              Did you have the APK of UE 4.11? I will test it on my 2GB Galaxy S3 and report to you the result

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                Sorry to be a pest, but any news on GLES 3.x (and deployment with ASTC to Android when using GLES 3.x) in 4.11 binary release ?
                I've learned that GLES 3.x won't be part of the 4.11 Binary.

Cheers
                Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Talrosh View Post
                  Wow, amazing. Any info how it handles overlapping UV's? Currently it increases render by an extreme amount. (I went from 4 hours to 30minutes by just fixing the biggest UVoverlaping object).

I know these overlaps should be fixed anyway, but it can be quite a while untill that happens in a project and it feels like it increases the time by an unnecesarry amount.

Hmm, maybe ill install the new preview this weekend and test it :P
                  How much were your UV's overlapping ? I am wondering if the performance hit is proportional to the amount of overlap.

Comment

New hair model works with Masked rendering so shadows should also work. Dynamic inset shadow will help with resolution related problems. Also you never should bake shadows to albedo map because it will not darken specular at all. But instead you should use Cavity map which is grayscale texture. Then you multiply albedo and specular value(usually 0.5) with this. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...sed/index.html
                    Apologies for being somewhat off-topic, but it relates to the official documentation here. Isn't manually multiplying the albedo by a cavity map the same as "baked in" occlusion shadowing? It's not hard to read the document incorrectly (that you should manually multiply the albedo), if in fact you should simply leave the albedo alone, plug the cavity map into the AO slot and multiply it once with a specular constant. It could be edited for clarity.

Comment

hi

has anyone experienced black materials with 4.11 pre 4 ( android build )?
                      We have simple pixeldepth node material for fog in our game and it all stopped working. Im looking into if its our fault but if anyone has stumbled upon any bug with this just let us know so we can stop looking...^^.

Comment

Originally posted by BobJoel View Post
                        Apologies for being somewhat off-topic, but it relates to the official documentation here. Isn't manually multiplying the albedo by a cavity map the same as "baked in" occlusion shadowing? It's not hard to read the document incorrectly (that you should manually multiply the albedo), if in fact you should simply leave the albedo alone, plug the cavity map into the AO slot and multiply it once with a specular constant. It could be edited for clarity.
                        It's not same. With cavity map you multiple albedo and specular. This occlude diffuse and specular light for direct and indirect light. AO slot only occlude indirect light(both diffuse and specular). Baking occlusion for albedo texture occlude diffuse light from direct and indirect but does nothing for specular. So prebaked shadows to albedo map can look wrong if you get specular highlights to dark spots.

Comment

any news on approval of the Wwise Plugin for 4.11?

Comment

Jenny Gore,

My argument is that multiplying the cavity map with the albedo before it enters the BaseColor slot is incorrect, which I'm not sure you're addressing. Of course one should not used baked in shadows when importing albedo. I'm saying the BaseColor input is not aware of the difference between a user multiplication with a node and multiplication in photoshop. I'm not sure what you mean about occlusion from direct light, as I believe this is to be handled by the normal map and not a cavity map at all.

Comment

Can we get some tutorial examples of how the new attenuation setting can work? Tried 4.11, but sound occlusion for example didn't work for me.

[EDIT] Got it to work now!
                              Last edited by anders; 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM. Reason: Got it to work

Comment

Originally posted by BobJoel View Post
                                Jenny Gore,

My argument is that multiplying the cavity map with the albedo before it enters the BaseColor slot is incorrect, which I'm not sure you're addressing. Of course one should not used baked in shadows when importing albedo. I'm saying the BaseColor input is not aware of the difference between a user multiplication with a node and multiplication in photoshop. I'm not sure what you mean about occlusion from direct light, as I believe this is to be handled by the normal map and not a cavity map at all.
                                Difference is that with cavity map you can also occlude specular.
                                Normal map does not occlude anything. It just does add normal variation per pixel instead of per vertex.

Comment

Working...
                                X