No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4 and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, some people are running the tools on Linux (at some level) because there is screen-shots of it happening... not my case doe :/ I'm getting building errors, but that is most surely my fault.

Comment

We have the Editor running, but it is very glitchy, to say the least...

If you need help getting Linux tools compiling and running, come by IRC #ue4linux on Freenode network.
      Linux Support page (Wiki): https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Support
      Linux Demos page (Wiki): https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Demos
      My Unreal Engine 4 Linux repo: https://github.com/3dluvr/UnrealEngine/

Comment

Is there currently any ETA as to when we can expect the official port of the UE4Editor and the other tools to be finished? Just roughly, like : Is it more like a matter of some weeks or many months, possibly a year from now?

I was able to build the Editor from your repo amigo, but I get a lot of error messages when I try to run it and it crashes before the actual GUI opens up. Unfortunately I'm lacking technical understanding of what those error messages actually say.

Has anyone tried to run the Windows binaries via Wine in OpenGL mode yet, so we could at least start working productively, until there is a stable release of the tools for linux?

Comment

As I can't speak for Epic, the Editor is work in progress for us (the Linux UE community).

The question is what are your expectations?

If you are hoping to use the Editor for production, then it's not really ready yet. If you want to get a feel for it, that is doable right now. We really need more people to take active role in code and bug fixing if we are to see this through sooner (aside from whatever timelines Epic has).

I am not sure which code snapshot your tried, but the code on my GitHub changes all the time - it is constantly being improved. Each time I push changes I make sure that things at least compile, if not run.

Current code (as of today) should compile and run, but if you are having issues, please come by IRC as that's the easiest and fastest way to troubleshoot specific issues.

Comment

Originally posted by amigo View Post
            As I can't speak for Epic, the Editor is work in progress for us (the Linux UE community).

The question is what are your expectations?

If you are hoping to use the Editor for production, then it's not really ready yet. If you want to get a feel for it, that is doable right now. We really need more people to take active role in code and bug fixing if we are to see this through sooner (aside from whatever timelines Epic has).

I am not sure which code snapshot your tried, but the code on my GitHub changes all the time - it is constantly being improved. Each time I push changes I make sure that things at least compile, if not run.

Current code (as of today) should compile and run, but if you are having issues, please come by IRC as that's the easiest and fastest way to troubleshoot specific issues.
            I basically just want to play around and get started with using the Unreal Engine. But I also don't want to be discouraged to continue using it by constant crashes etc. (also tried the Windows version of UE4 and it is very unstable for me too)
            I'm also a bit overwhelmed by all the different repos, branches and unofficial versions of UE4 that are on GitHub right now, so I'll just stick with yours for now and see if I can get it running...

I'm not much of a programmer and don't know c++ at all, so I'm afraid I can't really help int he bug fixing and developement process, except for providing feedback about bugs and errors, if that would help?

I tried the snapshot from tuesday I think. I could run the SlateViewer and the UnrealFrontend just fine and also managed to compile ShaderCompileWorker, UnrealPak and the UE4Editor. Initially I got an error complaining about a missing library (libfbxdsdk) which I could fix by installing the fbx-sdk package on my distro. Then I tried running the Editor and after a long time of (apparently) Shader compilation, it eventually crashed. I will try compiling the editor again with today's snapshot. Maybe I will have more luck this time.

I find IRC rather inconvenient to talk about complex problems and exchange logfiles, though. But I will give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I would not rely on the Editor in Linux for learning UE because it is not as stable as Windows one. On that note I did not find Windows version unstable, perhaps you have some other issues in the OS, like drivers?

The libfbxsdk issue has been resolved yesterday, or the day before, if I recall correctly.

Shader compiling/conversion takes A LONG TIME. I have a dual processor (16 cores altogether) workstation, and it takes several minutes for default 2,400 shaders. If you want to load Elemental Demo, that's another 9,700 shaders in OpenGL3, or whopping 16,000 in OpenGL4 (about 17 minutes for me).

Depending what system you have, it could take hour(s) to compile shaders for some projects...that's just the nature of system (HLSL->GLSL).

Comment

Any progress on this ? Because I really hate my windows partition.

Comment

Compared to June, there have been a lot of changes. Feel free to check it out and see for yourself - the more the Linux editor gets used, the better it gets.
                  twitter.com/RCL

Comment

Thanks I will do it

Comment

The UE4 editor seems to be hard coded to QWERTY - this is broken. IMO the correct approach is to use this approach for everything except text entry, text entry should take account of the keyboard layout that the user has selected.
                      Last edited by kayosiii; 02-18-2015, 03:11 AM. Reason: I was wrong about the behaviour I was seeing thinking that it was the keyboard shortcuts that were wrong

Comment

Hi,

I got this error trying to build on Linux:

> ./Setup.sh
                        Registering git hooks... (this will override existing ones!)

Github build
                        Checking / downloading the latest archives
                        Missing method System.Environment::get_CurrentManagedThreadId() in assembly /usr/lib/mono/4.0/mscorlib.dll, referenced in assembly /home/seb/sdk_lib/UnrealEngine/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/GitDependencies.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Environment.get_CurrentManagedThreadId'.
                        at GitDependencies.Program.ParseParameters (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 ArgsList, System.String Prefix) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                        at GitDependencies.Program.Main (System.String[] Args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                        [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Environment.get_CurrentManagedThreadId'.
                        at GitDependencies.Program.ParseParameters (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 ArgsList, System.String Prefix) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                        at GitDependencies.Program.Main (System.String[] Args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                        Result: 1
                        Fixing inconsistent case in filenames.
                        find: `Content/Editor/Slate': No such file or directory
                        find: `Content/Slate': No such file or directory
                        find: `Documentation/Source/Shared/Icons': No such file or directory

Building ThirdParty libraries

If you don't see SUCCESS message in the end, then building did not finish properly.
                        In that case, take a look into /home/seb/sdk_lib/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/BuildThirdParty.log for details.
                        ==> BuildLND
                        ********** SUCCESS ****************

It's so fast, that I guess it's not "SUCCESS" despite what is printed.
                        Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong and how I could solve it ?

Thanks

Comment

Hazarding a guess, missing some of the dependencies. https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux any use for you? And what distro are you using? Some (like Arch) are known to be problematic.
                          Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

i don't understand ...

are you saying that UE4 is available on linux right now ??

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo75 View Post
                              i don't understand ...

are you saying that UE4 is available on linux right now ??
                              Compile it yourself and it is.
                              Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Comment

Is there a manual about how to compile UE4 on Linux? I am not even much interested in running Editor, just the final app would be fine (a sample game, etc.).

Is there cmake or something of that nature to make process simple?

What's not working currently in Linux builds compare to Windows builds?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X