No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My foliage LODs now pop sharply in and out rather than the dither fade that was there before. Is there some switch I have to toggle?

Edit: Found the switch in the material!
    Last edited by DamirH; 08-31-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Is it just me or is Lightmapping significantly faster in 4.9.0.

Comment

Read through the entire thing and the things I care about most is multiple return nodes and getting the default values for things, and I'm an artist lol
        YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1qaQM1VnY441J5lCLCPMwg

Comment

Modulated shadow via stationaryLight VS Dynamic shadow via movableLight,which is cheaper on mobile and by how much?
          EDIT:After I build lighting and package for IOS to iphone6 plus,the modulated shadow on ios looks dirty with low resolution and my movable actors looks flickering even if I increase the landscape lighting resolution,also,I have found that,the fps has been cut down due to this modulated shadow...The dynamic shadow with movable light have a much higher fps....So strange...

And now I cannot PIE in ES2(feature level),if I play in editor and then press exit or the escape key,the editor crashes immediately...
          Last edited by hls333555; 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

New: Supported added for ES3.1 builds. These can be built at the same time as ES2.0 builds of an application..
            What does this mean?Can I directly build ES3.1 without compiling the github version?Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SaviorNT View Post
              I'm enthusiastic that at least VS2015 and DX12 are experimental and can be enabled....
              DX12 off 4.9 Preview 4, I'm wondering how 4.9.0 will look, but FWIW check out some DX12 stuff below. Of course, optimisation, added DX12 features, etc, would be good to know how we can actually directly text DX12 stuff besides just using the -D3D12 flag:

(Mods please do change from embedded video to links if that fits this thread better)
              (First video by CryZenX, other three from me, posted for sake of learning more about DX12 in Unreal 4.9.X)

Last edited by srmojuze; 09-01-2015, 02:47 AM.

Comment

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...#answer-241192
                Is this going to be prioritized to next hotfixes ? I think it is pretty vital that the navlinks actually work in the engine, which hasn't been the case with smartlinks since 4.8.

Keep up the good work guys! Thanks for alot of cool stuff with this update!

Comment

I like what I am seeing. Especially with the lighting/shadowing. Hopefully I can play with it soon. Dealing with a tempramental Videocard atm -_-
                  Demented owner and founder of NeoSpawn Games
                  Current Project: Project Yami (place holder title) Next-Gen Fighter using UE4
                  FanPage: www.facebook.com/NeoSpawnGames
                  Official(under construction): www.neospawngames.net
                  Personal FB: http://www.facebook.com/Keiyentai
                  LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/Keiyentai

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantoad View Post
                    So it seems IsHeadMountedDisplayEnabled node doesn't seem to care whether it actually is enabled or not. Even when not playing in VR it still thinks it's enabled. Could be because of Oculus SDK 0.7 I have installed? Hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary in 4.8 though.
                    Was already reported in Preview 1, see https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...reporting.html

Comment

That plugin wizard is simply awesome. What a time saver. I would suggest to take this to the next level, by providing say more samples, like mini plugin projects with their full source, to show the different things you can do with plugins. Think of it like the sample games we have, which shows different genres and different approaches to game development with UE4.
                      Last edited by LordNyte; 09-01-2015, 05:08 AM.
                      Hamad Al-Hasan
                      Gameplay Programmer / Technical Artist
                      Portfolio: www.alhasanstudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Wilson View Post
                        Which new features are you referring to? I'm happy to try to point you in the right direction if you can give me some specifics of what you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply.

My gripe is with 4.6 examples that now dont work with 4.7, 4.8, and now 4.9. The wiki has tags for source that works with 4.6 but each release after has been ignored.

For example... as simple actor example that plays a sound when shot. This is a very simple example, but highlights the issue that seems to have been ignored by epic on each release. Documentation for C++ appears to be lacking, which is pushing programmers back to using Unity. examples provided by the community tend not to be updated for each release and shouldn't be relied upon as examples of how to use the engine.

Thats not to say im bashing Epic. The engine is fantastic. Just an on going frustration.
                        Last edited by MediaLocker; 09-01-2015, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Hi,

First, great release!

What does this means :
                          End of release notes - Programming:
                          "The previously required boilerplate code can now be removed, but should still work."

Can we have some details of this?

There are multiple notes on AbilitySystemComponent. Does this gone live? Is it safe to use or is it still WIP?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by MediaLocker View Post
                            Thanks for the reply.

My gripe is with 4.6 examples that now dont work with 4.7, 4.8, and now 4.9. The wiki has tags for source that works with 4.6 but each release after has been ignored.

For example... as simple actor example that plays a sound when shot. This is a very simple example, but highlights the issue that seems to have been ignored by epic on each release. Documentation for C++ appears to be lacking, which is pushing programmers back to using Unity. examples provided by the community tend not to be updated for each release and shouldn't be relied upon as examples of how to use the engine.

Thats not to say im bashing Epic. The engine is fantastic. Just an on going frustration.
                            You can see the pages updated for 4.9 here:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...l?versions=4.9

We know programming documentation could be better and more extensive, but there are several tutorials and they should all be up to date and working with 4.9:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...als/index.html

We have more coming too.
                            Unreal Engine Documentation
                            Bored? Follow me! @ffejnosliw

Comment

My on clicked event doesnt work in 4.9 (on a bp_Actor). Anybody know whats up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Robin.UltraUltra View Post
                                https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...#answer-241192
                                Is this going to be prioritized to next hotfixes ? I think it is pretty vital that the navlinks actually work in the engine, which hasn't been the case with smartlinks since 4.8.

Keep up the good work guys! Thanks for alot of cool stuff with this update!
                                I tested 4.9 Preview 4 and nav links are working again but I needed to move every nav link proxy to force nav link recreation.

Probably this is the fix:
                                Fixed bounds of "standalone" nav relevant components (without navigation parent), which caused them to be ignored during navmesh generation.
                                Last edited by nonder; 09-01-2015, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X