Adding mod support to your Unreal Engine 4 project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
    I'd like to figure that out. I can remember a system from UE3 where custom map content could be downloaded at load-time but have not looked into support for this in UE4 yet.

- Tom
    UT4 is doing this. The mod system is implemented and download of map also. Might be a good starting point (if you are the right to use this as the EULA is clearly restricted on this code part)

Comment

Of course, if you open your game to mods, right now, looks like you can mod anything. I don't mind them messing with the UI, but there are things I don't want modded.
      Which means, of course, trying to find a way to limit what the game accepts from the mod section. Interesting challenge!
      Have to think about this. Thank you for your guidance, Tom.
      Last edited by Warcabbit; 10-23-2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Forgive me for not reading anything in here and in the tutorial. But this is an important question:

Will the end user be able to build mods for my game without him having access to the original project files?
        Because this is the whole point of it right?
        Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Sahkan View Post
          Forgive me for not reading anything in here and in the tutorial. But this is an important question:

Will the end user be able to build mods for my game without him having access to the original project files?
          Because this is the whole point of it right?
          You won't include all of your (C++) source files. And content that is provided to the mod creators will not include the "Source content" meaning the PNGs, FBX files etc. that are normally stored inside .uasset files (this should get removed during the Cooking process) but all .uasset files should be shipped to a mod creator so he can extend the game. So the answer is two folded. No, they don't have full access to the "original" content because a lot should be stripped away as mentioned before. But...Yes, they will need project files in order to mod anything at all.
          Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

You won't include all of your (C++) source files. And content that is provided to the mod creators will not include the "Source content" meaning the PNGs, FBX files etc. that are normally stored inside .uasset files (this should get removed during the Cooking process) but all .uasset files should be shipped to a mod creator so he can extend the game. So the answer is two folded. No, they don't have full access to the "original" content because a lot should be stripped away as mentioned before. But...Yes, they will need project files in order to mod anything at all.
            I know when you pack the game and uncheck "pack is *.pak file" you will still see all the uasset files in the packed game but you can't do anything with them if you try to copy them to your own project ( they just won't appear ). So I guess this is the same? Because if not, having the uasset files accessable is just like shipping it with the files separately, because anything can be exported via unreal editor to external fbx, png etc... files.
            Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Sahkan View Post
              I know when you pack the game and uncheck "pack is *.pak file" you will still see all the uasset files in the packed game but you can't do anything with them if you try to copy them to your own project ( they just won't appear ). So I guess this is the same? Because if not, having the uasset files accessable is just like shipping it with the files separately, because anything can be exported via unreal editor to external fbx, png etc... files.
              The uassets to be send with the download package for people to start modding will have the source content stripped (that is what normally allows the export FBX, png options etc.) I believe that some of these details are still being worked on and aren't final yet.
              Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

The uassets to be send with the download package for people to start modding will have the source content stripped (that is what normally allows the export FBX, png options etc.) I believe that some of these details are still being worked on and aren't final yet.
                I see, Thanks!

Comment

Realistically it will be a long time coming. For hobbyists... I wouldnt even try. For indie teams possible, for studios of course they can write the code to parse a /mods/ folder and whatever files.

/me is waiting for the day I can blueprint a system to allow users to add new "content" and 'check off' a "ingame terrain editor" in cooking options lots of coding involved
                  Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                    Realistically it will be a long time coming. For hobbyists... I wouldnt even try. For indie teams possible, for studios of course they can write the code to parse a /mods/ folder and whatever files.

/me is waiting for the day I can blueprint a system to allow users to add new "content" and 'check off' a "ingame terrain editor" in cooking options lots of coding involved
                    hell, I would be happy if we could just create something that would allow people to add custom maps.... it would find them in some directory structure and add them in... and also if a client connected and didn't have it, it would allow the client to download it (from a provided redirect)...
                    Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by arbopa View Post
                      hell, I would be happy if we could just create something that would allow people to add custom maps.... it would find them in some directory structure and add them in... and also if a client connected and didn't have it, it would allow the client to download it (from a provided redirect)...
                      With the new pointer abilities in blueprints you could technially do something like that. But itd be kinda hackish and they would have to follow naming conventions. (and you wouldnt be able to use paks). I think....
                      Tek LLC a personal Candaian Company running BlenderTek & UnrealTek is currently looking for help to bring back submarine simulator gaming with a new genre of sub sims: Cold War! (1945-1991) Operation: Trident SubSim Dev Diary Thread - Donations

Comment

Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
                        With the new pointer abilities in blueprints you could technially do something like that. But itd be kinda hackish and they would have to follow naming conventions. (and you wouldnt be able to use paks). I think....
                        Yeah, it seems the 'new' way is to always use steam, and charge for DLC... many in the PC gaming world have quit buying new games due to that and lack of dedicated server support. It's quite a shame. I wish Epic would jump in and give some input on the possibility of doing such things.
                        Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Hello this tutorial don't work for me when I try to package the main game without any coocked map selected the packaged game pak will contain all maps inside the plugins/x/content folder

If I select only one map inside game/content folder when I package the game and then I package the DLC with a map inside the plugin/x/content folder (<- dlc folder ) if I put the builded .pak of the dlc inside the paks folder of the game and if I try to open the map inside the dlc .pak the game don't find it anyone can help me ?

Comment

Originally posted by OximusPrime View Post
                            Hello this tutorial don't work for me when I try to package the main game without any coocked map selected the packaged game pak will contain all maps inside the plugins/x/content folder

If I select only one map inside game/content folder when I package the game and then I package the DLC with a map inside the plugin/x/content folder (<- dlc folder ) if I put the builded .pak of the dlc inside the paks folder of the game and if I try to open the map inside the dlc .pak the game don't find it anyone can help me ?
                            yeah,this tutorial does not work any more, i have a same problem here

Comment

I followed the tutorial to try adding a single DataAsset. Unfortunately it doesn't work, my content isn't found at load. I checked that a pak file is created, and I tried removing the pak option to ensure my asset was cooked so the plugin seems fine. It just won't load in the game. No mention of the plugin is done anywhere in the log.

See my thread for more questions about this process.
                              Last edited by StrangerGwenn; 09-20-2016, 05:38 AM.
                              Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

So does this tutorial still works with 4.18+ ?
                                ArtStation

General Development Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X