X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [PREVIEW] Unreal Engine 4.9 Preview

Unreal Engine 4.9 Preview

PREVIEW!

A Preview of the upcoming 4.9 release is now available via the Epic Games Launcher and GitHub. We have made this Preview available so that our developer-community can help us catch issues before the final release. As fixes are implemented, we will release updated previews throughout the development cycle. Please be aware that the preview releases are not fully quality tested, that they are still under heavy active development, and that they should be considered as unstable until the final release. Developers should not convert their projects for active development on preview releases. Please test on copies of your project instead.

We encourage users to check out the preview to try new features and inform us of any issues which we may not have caught. A Known Issues List is provided below which will be updated periodically. If you discover any additional issues with this preview release, please report the issue on the Bug Reports section of the Unreal Engine AnswerHub.

4.9 Preview Summary

This list provides a brief summary of updates in this release. Full release notes will be made available with the final 4.9 release. We may not be able to provide additional information about updates at this time.
    • Editor Updates:
      • You're now able to use advanced search syntax when performing searches in the Content Browser
      • Improvements to the usability and robustness of Collections, including nested collections, dynamic collections, and more
    • Blueprint Updates:
      • Optimized Math Expression node is now more performant than regular nodes
      • Functions can now have Multiple Return Nodes
      • Construct Object From Class node lets you spawn baser object types
      • Get Class Defaults node gives access to Blueprints' values without having to create an instance
      • Level Blueprints can now be communicated with via interfaces using the Get Streaming Level node
      • Asset ID and Class Asset ID are two new data types exposed to Blueprints
    • Core Updates:
      • Runtime Asset Cache is a generic asset cache system that can be used to persistently store data generated during runtime in configurable asset buckets
    • Framework Updates:
      • Sound Quality Levels give sound designers the ability to manage audio memory usage and some performance
      • Asynchronous Real-time Audio Decompression available on supported platforms
      • You can now define your own custom curve for attenuating sounds rather than simply being limited to the built in algorithms
      • You can now specify an interval at which a tick function will be executed
      • Improvements to Actor encroachment detection
      • The Montage Element Timing Interface helps you control the order that Montage events fire
      • We now support many different blending functions between animation poses and transitions
      • Hierarchical LOD improvements including preview builds and the HLODVolume
      • We support Metadata that can be added to animation assets now, derived from UAnimMetaData
      • Bone driven controllers allow you to adjust one or more components of a Driven bone based on the motion of a component of the Driver bone
    • Mobile Rendering Updates:
      • Dynamic Point Lights are now supported
      • Dynamic Character Shadows can be used with otherwise static lighting and shadowing
      • Decals are now supported
    • Platform Updates:
      • TADP replaced with NVIDIA AndroidWorks for Windows and Mac OSX
      • HTML5 SDK 1.30.0 is now included with the Engine distribution
    • Rendering Updates:
      • Improvements to Blendables, including Blueprint interaction via the Add or Update Blendable node
      • The Collision module on GPU particle emitters has a new property called 'Collision Mode' where you can specify 'Distance Field'
      • Distance Field Ambient Occlusion quality and performance improvements
      • There are two new nodes to access the global distance field properties within the material editor
      • Area shadows for stationary lights
      • The new Ambient Occlusion Material Mask feature lets you access Lightmass calculated AO in your material
    • VR Updates:
      • Motion Controller devices like the Vive SteamVR Controller, the Sony Move, and others will now all be available through a common interface
      • Major SteamVR Updates
    • Additional details and bug fixes will be communicated in the full Release Notes for 4.9!

Quick Notes:
    • UE 4.9 Preview does not yet support Visual Studio 2015. It is expected to be experimental via GitHub for the final 4.9.0 release. For additional information, please view this thread.
    • UE 4.9 is expected to run on Windows 10, but has not been thoroughly tested.
    • DX12 is still very experimental with 4.9, but it can be enabled by running the editor with the -D3D12 parameter on Win 10.
    • UE 4.9 does not support the OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta
    Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 07-30-2015, 09:11 AM.

• replied
    Happy 4.9 day!

This is the last Epic update where they use numbers; From now on, They'll be using cat names!

...Right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UPDATE!

4.9 has officially released! Official thread and release notes here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-4-9-Released!

I'd like to thank every one who helped to test and identify issues during the preview process; we were able to squash a number of bugs that we might not have caught otherwise due to you. Because the preview has ended I am going to close this thread now. If you have an ongoing discussion about 4.9, please continue it in the official release thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Epic -

The cooker is forgetting about child / parent references. I really do not think that 4.9 should be shipped until that is fixed.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...t-classes.html

I have commented on the issue as well.

Edit: Sorry for the Post in the preview section but I am just trying to warn you guys

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Will distance field work on linux in 4.9 ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post
    Is there a list of docs that were updated?
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...tes/index.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there a list of docs that were updated?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Props to updating doc!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am glad you guys started to update the documentation ahead of 4.9's release. Props to the doc team!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any update on the issue regarding SplineComponents not being editable when inherited and built via function calls within the construction script? This is a project killer for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sliders nad CheckBoxes don't work on touch screen...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    still dx12 is crashing for amd gpu's please fix this error

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by knack View Post
    I download today 4.9p4 for using the editor with Dx12 & w10
    Added -D3D12 and when start crash the graphic controller (crash) and engine stop working (No response, minimeze in windows bar)

without -D3D12 start ok.

With the latest AMD VR Driver
    AMD Catalystâ„¢ Display Driver version 15.20.1062.1005
    Actually I have that problem too, I don't use the VR driver however since I have no Oculus Rift or anything.

I'm using a Radeon R9 280X with driver version 15.20.1062.1003-150728a1-187451C on Windows 10 Pro x64.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DFAO doesn't seem to work properly when the skylight min occlusion setting is higher than 0.

http://i.imgur.com/VDmyz8A.png
    http://i.imgur.com/gagtCLe.png
    http://i.imgur.com/7VRJb0L.png

Leave a comment:

Working...
X