Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.9 Preview

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    @Illusionweaver: No, it's pretty much broken right now. AFAIK fixing it was postponed after the rewrite of the audio architecture was done.

    Comment


      I can't seem to get any sound files to work whatsoever in UE4 with this release(4.9 Preview 3). Anyone else having the same issue? They import fine, and I see the wave data in the preview and I can make sound cues. But there's no audio being played when I try and play them.

      Edit:

      I can hear the sound if I play it in-game, but I can't preview the sound in the content browser nor the sound cue editor.
      Why do all programmers wear glasses? Because they can't C#

      Comment


        Originally posted by spyro View Post
        Why isn't UE-19533 (https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...reporting.html) even listed in the known-isssues list (still broken in Preview 3)

        (HMD is reported as always enabled since 4.9, even when its switched off after engine start or when choosing a non-VR preview mode!)

        PLEASE don't release it without fixing this. Not again. Not after 4.8 and it's broken VR preview. It would make the whole version unusable for my project.
        Hey Spyro -

        I hope that you get this message - If you want the latest UE4 build for Oculus it is best to go to the Oculus rift forums and check this post (See below)

        https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=18199

        Oculus has its own github for the Unreal Engine 4 and VR.

        They should update it when it goes stable for 4.9

        You just need to build it from source.

        Happy Developing

        - HeadClot

        Comment


          Can somebody give me a list of laptops that are compatible with unreal engine 4.

          Comment


            Can somebody give me a list of laptops that are compatible with unreal engine 4.

            Comment


              This list would be too long You can use any laptop, it just needs to have good hardware and run Windows 64 bit.
              Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
              Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

              Comment


                I can't even create a project based of TappyChicken with the 4.9 engine version?
                Do Not Argue Toxic Game
                Balloony PoP get it on Google Play
                Fishy Blub Blub
                get it on Google Play

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Adam Davis View Post
                  I do not have a timeframe of when it will be fixed, however it is unlikely it will make it into 4.9.
                  If you really release the VR implementation in such a broken state once more, I am really done with this.

                  Originally I was thinking that this is the whole concept of *stable* binary versions directly from Epic. That you at least fix basic issues which were introduced in the preview of a new version before releasing them, knowing that they are broken.

                  I cannot do more than mess around with this preview versions and instantly reporting all issues I get. What's the matter with them if you release it anyway in this state? If you would at least release a patch after release - but even that seems not possible.

                  At GamesCom I talked to the Epic guys about the current state of the VR integration, they told me that "VR is one of the top priorities for our CEO right know". Yeah, sure.

                  Ok, I give up. I'll switch to the Oculus Branch know, hope that they do their job better than you do with your 'major' releases regarding VR. Note: It's not about making mistakes, I make a lot of them myself. It's about not releasing fixes, even if they are working and letting hundreds of devs work with a broken implementation instead and then, after 2 months, introducing new killer bugs and not fixing them until release *again*.

                  What about Nick Whiting's post about better QA regarding VR? https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...562#post331562

                  Originally posted by Nick Whiting View Post
                  We're actually working on updating our QA process as we speak! It definitely hasn't been perfect in the past, and we're working to buff it up.
                  I was really, really hopeing that 4.9 actually fixes VR and not breaks it some more. And now I have to read, that Epic actually has no problems at all releasing 4.9 without the ability to detect if a HMD is actually active at all, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

                  spyro

                  PS: Yes, I *am* frustrated, and so would you after messing around for more than 8 months with this mess .
                  Last edited by spyro; 08-13-2015, 01:50 PM.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
                    Hey Spyro -
                    Oculus has its own github for the Unreal Engine 4 and VR.
                    They should update it when it goes stable for 4.9
                    You just need to build it from source.
                    Yes, guess that this is really the only working way right now.

                    Comment


                      launcher opens and runs just fine on my new/full/clean windows10/64 install... don't have an engine yet, but I will at 4.9 and will let you know...

                      keep up the good work guys... ns

                      Comment


                        I'm having a small annoying problem in Preview 3 where some input mappings are not been saved.
                        Repro:
                        1. Start a new project
                        2. Project Settings>Input
                        3. Add two new action mappings: InputA, InputB
                        4. Close the editor
                        5. Open the editor

                        InputA will be saved, but InputB will now be named "NewActionMapping_1" etc.

                        It seems the last change isn't being saved.

                        If the E key had been assigned to InputB above for example, when the editor was reopened the mapping would be called InputB correctly, but with no key value.

                        Comment


                          Everytime on the launcher when trying to open Preview 3, this happens:

                          opens up browser to file:///C:/Program (and that's it)

                          Just in case that's not known
                          Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

                          Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/VictorBurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

                          Currently looking for exciting new opportunities! Available for work!
                          https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ars-experience

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by spyro View Post
                            PS: Yes, I *am* frustrated, and so would you after messing around for more than 8 months with this mess .
                            Guess how you would feel if you would have been messing with this epic mess (UE4) from day one and were even willing to pay for the mess. I won't even start to describe how I feel about this as each release breaks more than it fixes. Even a simple android game won't work and takes them months to fix.

                            VR is pretty new tech for game usage so don't expect them to fix/get it to work perfectly even this year. It's like UE4 never left it's alpha/pre-alpha stage and yet the dared to release it for free just to take on competition with some other engines that wen't public.
                            Do Not Argue Toxic Game
                            Balloony PoP get it on Google Play
                            Fishy Blub Blub
                            get it on Google Play

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by spyro View Post
                              I was really, really hopeing that 4.9 actually fixes VR and not breaks it some more. And now I have to read, that Epic actually has no problems at all releasing 4.9 without the ability to detect if a HMD is actually active at all, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

                              spyro

                              PS: Yes, I *am* frustrated, and so would you after messing around for more than 8 months with this mess .
                              VR is still in an experimental state (I mean in general, not only in UE4). Why wasting resources in stuff when even it's SDK is far away from being final?!

                              The folks at Epic should invest more resources in Direct3D12 as it has recently officially launched and we ALL will benefit from it, not just some geeks with superugly glasses.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by spyro View Post
                                If you really release the VR implementation in such a broken state once more, I am really done with this.

                                Originally I was thinking that this is the whole concept of *stable* binary versions directly from Epic. That you at least fix basic issues which were introduced in the preview of a new version before releasing them, knowing that they are broken.

                                I cannot do more than mess around with this preview versions and instantly reporting all issues I get. What's the matter with them if you release it anyway in this state? If you would at least release a patch after release - but even that seems not possible.

                                At GamesCom I talked to the Epic guys about the current state of the VR integration, they told me that "VR is one of the top priorities for our CEO right know". Yeah, sure.

                                Ok, I give up. I'll switch to the Oculus Branch know, hope that they do their job better than you do with your 'major' releases regarding VR. Note: It's not about making mistakes, I make a lot of them myself. It's about not releasing fixes, even if they are working and letting hundreds of devs work with a broken implementation instead and then, after 2 months, introducing new killer bugs and not fixing them until release *again*.

                                What about Nick Whiting's post about better QA regarding VR? https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...562#post331562



                                I was really, really hopeing that 4.9 actually fixes VR and not breaks it some more. And now I have to read, that Epic actually has no problems at all releasing 4.9 without the ability to detect if a HMD is actually active at all, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

                                spyro

                                PS: Yes, I *am* frustrated, and so would you after messing around for more than 8 months with this mess .
                                While I can't begin to understand your frustrations with this (as I have not tried out anything VR related), and while VR has yet to prove itself MORE then a passing fad (due to the actual setup costs of playing a VR game), I am sure that Epic knows what's best for their engine. It's all about what the market wants and what the market can bring them (via royalties, etc).

                                I do wonder what the actual percentage of VR users are in comparison to non-VR users for UE4 (dev/gamers), maybe that'll put some things into perspective.

                                Keep doing what you're doing Epic, you guys are doing an amazing job so far.
                                Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

                                Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/VictorBurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

                                Currently looking for exciting new opportunities! Available for work!
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...ars-experience

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X