No announcement yet.

Managing complexity in Blueprints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That are some cool features to get things organized and clean. But things like collapsed graphs is clearly something that has to do with cleaning up. Putting your dirty logic in boxes or drawers.

When I prototype I don't care at all about looks or having it organized the only thing that matters to me then is that stuff works when I hit play. I also have the habit to not use multiple reference nodes like Get Actor. So when I have a actor that I manipulate in a lot ways I have lots of lines coming out of that one node reaching to far away Set nodes. It has the advantage that you can quickly see where that particular actor gets manipulated by following the lines but it also gets unclear as you add more to the blueprint and with it more lines that also cross in all kinds of ways.

My proposal would be a switch that hides all lines and nodes of references (Gets) and instead shows the reference as the name in the set nodes. So you can have the best of both worlds by switching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davision View Post
      That are some cool features to get things organized and clean. But things like collapsed graphs is clearly something that has to do with cleaning up. Putting your dirty logic in boxes or drawers.

When I prototype I don't care at all about looks or having it organized the only thing that matters to me then is that stuff works when I hit play. I also have the habit to not use multiple reference nodes like Get Actor. So when I have a actor that I manipulate in a lot ways I have lots of lines coming out of that one node reaching to far away Set nodes. It has the advantage that you can quickly see where that particular actor gets manipulated by following the lines but it also gets unclear as you add more to the blueprint and with it more lines that also cross in all kinds of ways.

My proposal would be a switch that hides all lines and nodes of references (Gets) and instead shows the reference as the name in the set nodes. So you can have the best of both worlds by switching it.
      +1..........

Comment

This is crazy, you have made it absolutely impossible to make modular construction scripts. The only way to reference one blueprint from another is with the "Add child actor component" functionality, which gives you no control over the created component at all, no passing references or triggering events or even setting variables.
        I agree..
        I have a big struggle to get this work properly: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...nt-s-variables

If this would work properly, UE4 would have basiically a fully working "prefab" system... *dream*

Comment

Working...
        X