Announcing Section #3 for Survival Game - AI & Behavior Trees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcing Section #3 for Survival Game - AI & Behavior Trees

We're announcing the third section of the survival sample game today! The documentation will be up by the end of next week, in the meanwhile you can grab the latest source at GitHub (https://github.com/tomlooman/EpicSurvivalGameSeries). Which will continuously be worked on for the 12 week period! Use the tagged release for stable builds each section, once available.

UPDATE: Section 3 is now available on the UnrealEngine Wiki!

To give you an idea of what's coming I have setup a short premise for the game:

"The game is a third person survival game focusing on familiar mechanics from games in this genre.

You'll have to find a weapon to defend yourself.
    Food and ammunition are spread throughout the level and so you are constantly on the search for resources.
    Enemies may be anywhere, making too much noise while scavenging to survive will attract attention.
    The environment will have interactive objects to help your defense
    The game will support coop play with a buddy.
    Survive as many days/nights as possible.

You will end up with a basic third person game, fully networked & a small environment with interactive objects that you may use as a base for your own survival game."
    (Please note that features are subject to change, and feedback from you is taken into account when moving forward with the game's direction)

As mentioned in the original announcement thread of this project, there will be 6 sections total, each focusing on different gameplay concepts to help you understand how C++ works with Unreal Engine 4!

Features planned for this section:
    • Adding Enemies
    • Setup of basic AI
    • GameMode rules (Teams & Friendly Fire)

Every two weeks a new section will be announced with a new thread alongside it! Please use this thread for questions and feedback you might have!

Click image for larger version

Name:	survival_section3_pawnsensing01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1149132

Name:	survival_section3_overview01.jpg
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1149133

UPDATE: Section 3 is now available on the UnrealEngine Wiki!
    Last edited by Tom Looman; 05-01-2015, 02:07 PM.
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Adding Enemies
    Setup of basic AI
    GameMode rules
    Nice! I started learning A.I. last week, this section will be more interesting for me!
    Last edited by ZioYuri78; 04-24-2015, 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
      Nice! I start learning A.I. last week, this section will be more interesting for me!
      +1 ! I'm working through the first two modules this weekend in preparation
      Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
        +1 ! I'm working through the first two modules this weekend in preparation
        This reminds I still gotta read through section 2. Curse you GTA5 distracting me!
        Twitter: @InfectedFPS
        Twitch: InfectedFPS (Occasionally stream some work)

Comment

Excellent, the project are going being more interesting. Thanks Tom.

Comment

The solution file ".sln". of this new Section 3, isn't included into the project. We have to build it us?.

Comment

Originally posted by Jps7101 View Post
              The solution file ".sln". of this new Section 3, isn't included into the project. We have to build it us?.
              You need to generate .sln files locally by right-clicking the .uproject file and look for "Generate visual studio files"
              Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Comment

Setting up a more interesting level to test out the AI and gamemode. With thanks to Osman for giving me the BSP level layout (and some may recognize from his GUNDWARF project)

Name:	containercity_01.jpg
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1075121

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
                  Setting up a more interesting level to test out the AI and gamemode. With thanks to Osman for giving me the BSP level layout (and some may recognize from his GUNDWARF project)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36484[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for the answer!. This level it seen very well for this project.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36484[/ATTACH]
                    This is a cod4 map

Comment

Originally posted by Raikoh View Post
                      This is a cod4 map
                      Yes! It's Shipment

Comment

Thanks Tom for this. Really Helpful!
                        I want ask you, is there some reason why you have all cpp classes on the same project path?
                        Is this a good practice o something like that?
                        When i create a project, I make folders for everything, Items, UI, Environment stuff, etc, Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

regards!
                        pd: Excuse my English.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexarg View Post
                          Thanks Tom for this. Really Helpful!
                          I want ask you, is there some reason why you have all cpp classes on the same project path?
                          Is this a good practice o something like that?
                          When i create a project, I make folders for everything, Items, UI, Environment stuff, etc, Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

regards!
                          There is no drawback in putting it into folders. I just like to keep it all top-level, especially with a limited project size.

Comment

Originally posted by Raikoh View Post
                            This is a cod4 map
                            But i got this in the nazi zombies XD

Will be in the 3ยบ the crouch and run system smooth ?
                            Last edited by Hevedy; 05-08-2015, 03:50 PM.
                            Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
                            Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Congrats to the awesome tutorial series Tom! Nice pic @Hevedy :P
                              Sr. Engine Programmer @ www.playspace.com - moritzwundke.com
                              Remember: be polite and respect other peoples opinions - Join the Unofficial Unreal Discord Channel - Found a bug? Then use the Bug Report Form to get it fixed ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X