Announcing Section #2 for Survival Game - Weapons & Interaction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcing Section #2 for Survival Game - Weapons & Interaction

We're announcing the second section of the survival sample game today! The documentation will be up by the end of next week, in the meanwhile you can grab the latest source at GitHub (https://github.com/tomlooman/EpicSurvivalGameSeries). Which will continuously be worked on for the 12 week period! Use the tagged release for stable builds each section, once available.

UPDATE: Get started with this project RIGHT HERE or get right into SECTION 2

To give you an idea of what's coming I have setup a short premise for the game:

"The game is a third person survival game focusing on familiar mechanics from games in this genre.

You'll have to find a weapon to defend yourself.
    Food and ammunition are spread throughout the level and so you are constantly on the search for resources.
    Enemies may be anywhere, making too much noise while scavenging to survive will attract attention.
    The environment will have interactive objects to help your defence
    The game will support coop play with a buddy.
    Survive as many days/nights as possible.

You will end up with a basic third person game, fully networked & a small environment with interactive objects that you may use as a base for your own survival game."
    (Please note that features are subject to change, and feedback from you is taken into account when moving forward with the game's direction)

As mentioned in the original announcement thread of this project, there will be 6 sections total, each focusing on different gameplay concepts to help you understand how C++ works with Unreal Engine 4!

Features that are planned for this section:
    • Weapons support, featuring an automatic rifle
    • Flashlight (as "weapon")
    • UT Style Inventory
    • Damage Handling, Death and respawn
    • Extended AnimBlueprint
    • On-player visual inventory (eg. see what you or your buddy is carrying)

Concepts that are covered this section:
    • Working with arrays
    • Dealing & handling damage in ue4
    • Attaching/detaching actors
    • Using sockets in C++
    • Structs
    • Manipulating materials & parameters in C++
    • Driving FX with Physical Materials

Every two weeks a new section will be announced with a new thread alongside it!

Please use this thread for questions and feedback you might have!

Screenshots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	section2_overview02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1148237

Name:	flashlight_01..jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1147908

Get started with this project RIGHT HERE or get right into SECTION 2
    Last edited by Tom Looman; 04-16-2015, 09:55 PM.
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

You sir, are the hero this community needed
    July's GameJam Entry: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post341226

Comment

Originally posted by Brainshack View Post
      Hahah! Thank you :P
      Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

Comment

Originally posted by Brainshack View Post
        This x100

How complicated would it be to be able to choose a specific player model when you log in and start the game? The networking part of pawn possession / changing is confusing to me. (Would really love an example for that) Also any plans for naming your character? This project is so educating I cant wait to study it all day every day
        Last edited by CyberDev; 04-10-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberDev View Post
          How complicated would it be to be able to choose a specific player model when you log in and start the game? The networking part of pawn possession / changing is confusing to me. (Would really love an example for that) Also any plans for naming your character? This project is so educating I cant wait to study it all day every day
          Multi character skins probably won't make it in. I'll likely do something with assigning names to clients to ID who you're playing with in coop. No details on that yet though.

Comment

Great, love this series of yours. I really do like this concept more than a straight up tutorial as now I'm forced to research what you have done and understand it. That way I think people learn more than just following step by step tutorials all the time.

Comment

Quick WIP on Section 2.

Name:	flashlight_01..jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1072308

Comment

Love it, can't wait. Great job so far. Been a treat.
                Youtube
                Machine Learning C++ Plugin
                Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by SaxonRah View Post
                  Love it, can't wait. Great job so far. Been a treat.
                  This Tom Looman project and your Beginning C++ tutorials are really helping me understand how the engine work, thank guys
                  Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

More features!

Name:	s2_overview01.png
Views:	1
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	1072338

Comment

Hey Tom, source code isn't up yet or i'm doing something wrong with GitHub?

Comment

Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
                        Hey Tom, source code isn't up yet or i'm doing something wrong with GitHub?
                        You are correct! I held off the submit for a bit since there were a lot of moving parts & content that had to be cleared etc. There should be something up either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing the project on Reddit btw!

Comment

Waiting in anticipation \/

Always Active Technologies
                          {Binary_Shepherd}
                          /** the only losers are those who give up. */

Comment

Code is up!

A lot of stuff to learn

Comment

Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
                              Code is up!

A lot of stuff to learn
                              Yep it is! A little warning that it's still WIP though for Section 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X