Announcing Section #1 for Survival Game - Third-person Player Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I am trying to build the file in 4.19.2 but it is saying that they are 4.18 files and can't be built. Can any help me out here?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
    Hi mate!

STypes.h is kind of a special one, it doesn't derive from anything and it basically just a container for some of our structs and enums. It has no .cpp file either (since all the work is done in .h) There is no need to have it in a file like that specifically, but it can be nice to keep certain types you use in many places in one convenient location.
    Hi Tom,

So regarding this file, I tried to create it myself but the UE is complaining about the fact that it cannot find a .cpp file. After adding an empty .cpp file, it started complaining about some unresolved external symbol, which I know is related to how I format the .cpp file and .h files.

I believe I am unnecessarily complicating my life with this by trying to make it properly.

What I am trying to ask is if this header file is just something you created in the source folder or there is a proper way of creating it through the editor?

Also I see you reference a generated.h file, which I assume gets created when you define the class and so on (or rebuild the project files if they are missing). Can I always create a .h file which includes a generated.h file? even without generating it through the editor?

Thanks so much for this tutorial! It's being uber helpful

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello I loaded the git hub version but the zombies are not attacking. They standing and nothing happens. They only follow when I walk closeby. Arnt they suppose to partol or somethign?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by keffsmya View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for teaching me so much! THe Only thing I want to ask is how to create "STypes.h".(did it derive from something special?)
    I am a newb.....
    Hi mate!

STypes.h is kind of a special one, it doesn't derive from anything and it basically just a container for some of our structs and enums. It has no .cpp file either (since all the work is done in .h) There is no need to have it in a file like that specifically, but it can be nice to keep certain types you use in many places in one convenient location.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for teaching me so much! THe Only thing I want to ask is how to create "STypes.h".(did it derive from something special?)
    I am a newb.....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Luc4m4rio View Post
    Hey! Great work! But there is soemthing that is getting on my nerves and dont know how to fix it..its infinite jumping, if i spam backspace it jumps inifnite how much i want , how could i put a delay? noob question haha kinda new to UE4
    Heard more people about this. Must be a bug introduced after upgrading to newer editions. I will look into this and update GitHub, thanks for pointing it out!

- Tom

Edit: Updated Github with the fix for infinite jumping.
    Last edited by Tom Looman; 11-27-2016, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im getting infinite jumping :/

Hey! Great work! But there is soemthing that is getting on my nerves and dont know how to fix it..its infinite jumping, if i spam backspace it jumps inifnite how much i want , how could i put a delay? noob question haha kinda new to UE4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MaxISoP View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great learning resource. I just started this project and try to build it section by section referring to this project. But section branches I get from GitHub can't be opened. "project-name".dll needs to be rebuild and it always fail. If you have any idea how to fix it, that would be great. Thank you very much!
    The section branches of Github are fairly old by now. The early ones were build against 4.7 and 4.8. I recommend using the latest Master which works with 4.12. Otherwise you'll need to open the project using Visual Studio and fix the compile errors (since the API of UE4 has changed from 4.7 to 4.12)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the great learning resource. I just started this project and try to build it section by section referring to this project. But section branches I get from GitHub can't be opened. "project-name".dll needs to be rebuild and it always fail. If you have any idea how to fix it, that would be great. Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes that is just what I wanted to know, thx. Finally a proper resource to learn unreal c++.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by apfelnymous View Post
    No, what I ment was, how you used these variables in your blueprints, you exposed them so you must have actually used them somehow?? I guess there must be some blueprint files to be found in your project?
    When exposed I only used them to tweak the variables, if at all. It's a 99% C++ project, so I barely did any implementation of blueprint graphs in the entire project.

So you will find a bunch of Blueprints in the project, like the ClassicBomb which doesn't have much blueprint logic (besides playing a sound on collision impact) but the Blueprint is necessary to assign content (mesh, FX, sounds)

Hope that helps,

Tom

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
    If you're looking to see how I exposed the variables in C++ so that Blueprint can make changes, have a look in the .h header files of the project. using UPROPERTY(...) gives several options for exposing these variables (eg. UPROPERTY(BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "General") )
    No, what I ment was, how you used these variables in your blueprints, you exposed them so you must have actually used them somehow?? I guess there must be some blueprint files to be found in your project?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by apfelnymous View Post
    Hey, how can I see the way you connected your variables to the blueprints?
    If you're looking to see how I exposed the variables in C++ so that Blueprint can make changes, have a look in the .h header files of the project. using UPROPERTY(...) gives several options for exposing these variables (eg. UPROPERTY(BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "General") )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, how can I see the way you connected your variables to the blueprints?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ninjin View Post
    Hey, I'm really thankful for this tutorial, everything works so far, but I still got some questions.
    1st, compared to your code, Unreal's Default Player uses "check(InputComponent);" before binding the keys. Any thoughts about this, why are you not using it? <3
    2nd, why are you using "virtual" for the function "MoveForward". * I guess you are using subclasses that derive from SCharacter later and want to implement the MoveForward function for each of the subclasses? <3
    Hi Ninjin

1st: It's just an extra safety check whether InputComponent is null or not, nothing major - we are calling the base function using Super::SetupPlayerInputComponent(InputComponent); so the check(...) will happen already.
    2st: Had a quick look, and doesn't look like this required to be virtual afterall!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X