No announcement yet.

Announcing Section #1 for Survival Game - Third-person Player Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, nice tutorial/example for C++ and i see a good grid texture example, but is possible to see a grid texture projected to local space ? because i like something tileable material in local space, i tested using the "Absolute World Position" - "Actor Position" this work but at turn the model, the texture move because is projected. I tested with other methods but no one works.

Is possible to view a example about this ?

Thanks for the tutorial!
    Last edited by Hevedy; 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM.
    Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
      Just:

Code:
      public:
          YourClassName(const FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer)
      In header .

Or you can just scrap it all togather and:

Code:
      CreateDefaultSubobject()
      ObjectInitializer is no longer needed for initializing componenets.

AFAIR things provided by GENERATED_UCLASS_BODY will be deprecated as of 4.8
      Originally posted by Kafu View Post
      Here there are more info about updated constructors and GENERATED_BODY:
      - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ectInitializer
      - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post181552
      Thanks guys! I am so used to the old ways.

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
      Hey, nice tutorial/example for C++ and i see a good grid texture example, but is possible to see a grid texture projected to local space ? because i like something tileable material in local space, i tested using the "Absolute World Position" - "Actor Position" this work but at turn the model, the texture move because is projected. I tested with other methods but no one works.

Is possible to view a example about this ?

Thanks for the tutorial!
      This question is better asked in the Rendering subforum. I can help you out if you make a new thread there.

Cheers guys!
      Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

@Tom

Quick Q, why does your current method of ray tracing not work when using Skeletal Meshes instead of Static Meshes?

Comment

Originally posted by OfficialKHAN View Post
          @Tom

Quick Q, why does your current method of ray tracing not work when using Skeletal Meshes instead of Static Meshes?
          There could be a couple of things going on here.

Your skeletal mesh might not have a proper Physics Assets to collide with (I believe raycast will use this for skel meshes) and/or it may ignore the collision channel we use to perform the ray-cast.

Could you check if your Physics Assets has set up the shapes for collision?
          Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
            There could be a couple of things going on here.

Your skeletal mesh might not have a proper Physics Assets to collide with (I believe raycast will use this for skel meshes) and/or it may ignore the collision channel we use to perform the ray-cast.

Could you check if your Physics Assets has set up the shapes for collision?
            I am using the ModernWeapons from the market. I have checked the Physics Asset its defiantly set. I am able to move the weapon. It just seems like the Ray cast is not working properly, it doesn't render the outlines when you target over the weapon etc.

Comment

I am using the ModernWeapons from the market. I have checked the Physics Asset its defiantly set. I am able to move the weapon. It just seems like the Ray cast is not working properly, it doesn't render the outlines when you target over the weapon etc.
              You could add a Box/Sphere/Capsule in your Blueprint so it collides with the ray-cast. I now recall having this issue a long time ago with a weapon model, I ended up with a copy of the model non-skeletal since it didn't need any of the skeletal info or animations when laying in the environment.

I'll see if I can find a way that supports skel mesh collision too, I have not looked into how that is handled.

Comment

You could add a Box/Sphere/Capsule in your Blueprint so it collides with the ray-cast. I now recall having this issue a long time ago with a weapon model, I ended up with a copy of the model non-skeletal since it didn't need any of the skeletal info or animations when laying in the environment.

I'll see if I can find a way that supports skel mesh collision too, I have not looked into how that is handled.

That would be great. I came across the need to use Skel Mesh instead of Static Mesh so i could create a socket for the muzzle etc.

Comment

That would be great. I came across the need to use Skel Mesh instead of Static Mesh so i could create a socket for the muzzle etc.
                  I'll have to deal with this to support weapon pickups which is scheduled as a feature. So more on this in a later section

Comment

This question is better asked in the Rendering subforum. I can help you out if you make a new thread there.
                    I'm created the thread in the forum https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...t-deformations
                    Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
                    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

I'll have to deal with this to support weapon pickups which is scheduled as a feature. So more on this in a later section
                      Awesome i managed to get it working in the end by creating my own Collision Trace Channel.

Comment

Section 1 is now available! So download the source and start digging! I've put up the project intro page too.

Comment

Hey 1 question. Why didn't you make the Usable behaviour an interface? It only needs to provide a OnUse function and you wouldn't need to put it in the actor class hierarchy, thus making actor types simpler.

Comment

Hi Tom, i have a C++ question, i notice the GetLifetimeReplicatedProps method into ASCharacter class is not defined in the header but all compile fine. How this is possible? I used C++ years ago and i' not remember all the advanced feature of the language, why we can omit the GetLifetimeReplicatedProps override definition in the header? Is because is override in the parent class (ACharacter)?

Thank.
                            Join the Unreal Engine community on Reddit! | Twitter: @ZioYuri78

Comment

Originally posted by ZioYuri78 View Post
                              Hi Tom, i have a C++ question, i notice the GetLifetimeReplicatedProps method into ASCharacter class is not defined in the header but all compile fine. How this is possible? I used C++ years ago and i' not remember all the advanced feature of the language, why we can omit the GetLifetimeReplicatedProps override definition in the header? Is because is override in the parent class (ACharacter)?

Thank.
                              That function is indeed the exception to the rule. I believe this is thanks to the UnrealHeaderTool that runs before compilation and would add this definition.

Comment

Thanks Tom! This is exemplary, and a huge boon for the community. I look forward to the rest of your tutorials.

Comment

Working...
                                X