Announcing Section #1 for Survival Game - Third-person Player Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hey, I'm really thankful for this tutorial, everything works so far, but I still got some questions.
    1st, compared to your code, Unreal's Default Player uses "check(InputComponent);" before binding the keys. Any thoughts about this, why are you not using it? <3
    2nd, why are you using "virtual" for the function "MoveForward". * I guess you are using subclasses that derive from SCharacter later and want to implement the MoveForward function for each of the subclasses? <3
    Last edited by Ninjin; 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by liXiang View Post
    how to do this ? i still can't find it.
    Are you sure you are in the right context? eg. in a state transition (where you need to return bool to tell the state machine yes/no to switch to a new state)

Here is an example:

State A
    -- State Transition (Arrow that points to B)
    State B

State A must has the animation you want to check time remaining on.
    The node Time Remaining (with the animation included in the node name) will only be available in the state transition.

Hope that helps clarify how things work with state machines!

- Tom

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
    The TimeRemaining node is built-in, I didn't do anything custom in C++. It will only be available if the state A (eg. Idle or Crouching state) has an animation to play so we can access this animation info when we want to check TimeRemaining on it.

Any of the arrows you drag between states has the animation info from the state node it originates from (eg. where the arrow starts) so long as that state is playing an animation sequence, you should be able to get nodes specific to that animation, like the TimeRemaining node.

Hope that made any sense.

More info on State Machines and the Transition Rules: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nes/index.html
    how to do this ? i still can't find it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wilq83 View Post
    Hi Tom
    Big thanks for such a big thread...
    I am still a newbie in UNREAL stuff...
    I was wondering...
    Could you describe a little more mechanics of UE4 ... I mean mostly whats is going on under C++ code... For example under your Scharacter.cpp at the beginning you have typed

ASCharacter::ASCharacter(const class FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer)
    : Super(ObjectInitializer.SetDefaultSubobjectClass<USCharacterMovementComponent>(ACharacter::CharacterMovementComponentName))

I have some notion about object programming , pointers , classes... BUt this still confuses me a lot...
    Could explain a little bit what for is it?
    Hi Wilq!

That is a particularly odd one I agree! What I essentially do is make a change to the parent class (ACharacter) and tell it to use our own custom USCharacterMovementComponent instead of the default class that would otherwise be instantiated inside the constructor of ACharacter. It's something you don't commonly use (but can be quite helpful to know about when using lots of custom classes)

I hope that answers your question!

- Tom

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Tom
    Big thanks for such a big thread...
    I am still a newbie in UNREAL stuff...
    I was wondering...
    Could you describe a little more mechanics of UE4 ... I mean mostly whats is going on under C++ code... For example under your Scharacter.cpp at the beginning you have typed

ASCharacter::ASCharacter(const class FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer)
    : Super(ObjectInitializer.SetDefaultSubobjectClass<USCharacterMovementComponent>(ACharacter::CharacterMovementComponentName))

I have some notion about object programming , pointers , classes... BUt this still confuses me a lot...
    Could explain a little bit what for is it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hey I just started to use UE4 so Im new sorry about it mmm and try to build something new so decided to learn something about from your game but I have no idea how to add custom character also animations ?
    Last edited by alked; 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh ok. Thanks .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Freedom911 View Post
    Hello Tom .I have a doubt in the Tick function

Code:
    ASUsableActor* Usable = GetUsableInView();

// End Focus
    		if (FocusedUsableActor != Usable)
    		{
    			if (FocusedUsableActor)
    			{
    				FocusedUsableActor->OnEndFocus();
    			}

bHasNewFocus = true;
    		}
    Here we are comparing FocusedUsableActor with Usable. FocusedUsableActor is Uninitialized initially, won't it cause Undefined behavior.Should we not initialize to NULL in the constructor.
    It's not required to initialize to nullptr (We only use nullptr, NULL is only used for Windows platform specific functions) but it's clean if you make a convention of doing so.

UObjects (which includes our SUsableActor) are automatically cleared to zero. So the above code will not cause any issues when not initialized to nullptr.

- Tom

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FocusedUsableActor should be Initialized to NULL?

Hello Tom .I have a doubt in the Tick function

Code:
    ASUsableActor* Usable = GetUsableInView();

// End Focus
    		if (FocusedUsableActor != Usable)
    		{
    			if (FocusedUsableActor)
    			{
    				FocusedUsableActor->OnEndFocus();
    			}

bHasNewFocus = true;
    		}
    Here we are comparing FocusedUsableActor with Usable. FocusedUsableActor is Uninitialized initially, won't it cause Undefined behavior.Should we not initialize to NULL in the constructor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
    The latest version on Github runs on UE 4.10. I'm using Windows 8.1, but have not heard of any Windows 10 related issues.
    Hey Tom, I verified master works with 4.10 on windows 10 however the section branches are pre 4.9 api, hence the necessary 4.7.6 rebuild. I like seeing this project in it's early stages!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by tyoungjr View Post
    I have a build of UE v4.7.6 for Windows 10 for whomever is interested. The version from epic doesn't load the project and locks my system. Great work on this.
    The latest version on Github runs on UE 4.10. I'm using Windows 8.1, but have not heard of any Windows 10 related issues.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For Windows 10 users.

I have a build of UE v4.7.6 for Windows 10 for whomever is interested. The version from epic doesn't load the project and locks my system. Great work on this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TalicFIN View Post
    Hey I am doing my own Shooter game test thingy and I am using your Survival Game as a reference for learning Animation Blueprint and some other things.
    In your projects Player_AnimBP, StartCrouch to Crouch rule, there is this 'Stand_to_Crouch_Rifle_Hip Asset' which has 'Time Remaining' float.
    I am not able to recreate this in my own project, how did you create this asset? Did you create this asset somewhere in C++ or do you make some sort of reference within that animation file?
    The TimeRemaining node is built-in, I didn't do anything custom in C++. It will only be available if the state A (eg. Idle or Crouching state) has an animation to play so we can access this animation info when we want to check TimeRemaining on it.

Any of the arrows you drag between states has the animation info from the state node it originates from (eg. where the arrow starts) so long as that state is playing an animation sequence, you should be able to get nodes specific to that animation, like the TimeRemaining node.

Hope that made any sense.

More info on State Machines and the Transition Rules: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nes/index.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey I am doing my own Shooter game test thingy and I am using your Survival Game as a reference for learning Animation Blueprint and some other things.
    In your projects Player_AnimBP, StartCrouch to Crouch rule, there is this 'Stand_to_Crouch_Rifle_Hip Asset' which has 'Time Remaining' float.
    I am not able to recreate this in my own project, how did you create this asset? Did you create this asset somewhere in C++ or do you make some sort of reference within that animation file?

Leave a comment:

• replied

rox keep going with update

برمجة تطبيقات الاندرويد
    تصميم برامج الايفون
    تطبيقات اندرويد
    Last edited by Ahmedefndi; 11-20-2015, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X